Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Toplef10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 I22gcj10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Toplef10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 I22gcj10My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My First SFG...Work in progress

+11
CitizenKate
AtlantaMarie
Tilth
CapeCoddess
Windmere
mschaef
ralitaco
slimbolen99
trolleydriver
sanderson
clm2112
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Empty Re: My First SFG...Work in progress

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 12:40 pm

Welcome back, clm.  Just been reading your thread from the beginning, that kind of reading is always interesting. 

Being a cat as well as a dog lover, R.I.P. Furball.

On reading your last entry one thing made me cringe a little (sorry); the fact that you took out the tops of the trees and burned them.  I had trees taken down a couple of years ago and had them chipped and laid on the ground.  Did wonders for water retention and they are slowly decomposing into nice soil. Quite a number of us  on this forum do the same thing.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Empty Re: My First SFG...Work in progress

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 1:17 pm

No problem, I don't like to waste anything, but purchasing a chipper is not in the cards anytime soon.

I'm just happy to make as much use of the trees as I currently can (trunks under 18" in diameter are get cut and split for next years heating, over that are getting cut into lumber, with the milling waste going into the fuel pile.)  There are 120 of them to deal with, so it may be two or three year before they are all gone.
clm2112
clm2112

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 2:01 pm

I know what you mean about a chipper, clm.  I would love to have one as I have access to quite a lot of fallen branches etc that I can collect on my daily walks with my Jazz, but I cannot justify the expense.

Instead I collect the decayed wood that I can easily break up with my little three-tined bent fork and bring home in plastic grocery bags.  But I do not have acres and acres to cover. If I did, then I would buy a chipper like a shot as a load of chipped wood costs about $40 if you cannot get it for free.

Last edited by Kelejan on 3/25/2016, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 2:02 pm

clm2112 wrote:trunks under 18" in diameter
So that means there are plenty OVER 18" EGADS! The biggest one I dealt with was about 8 maybe 10". I'm gonna have to look at that picture again and see if there is a giant blue ox somewhere in the background
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 2:23 pm

More like humming the Monty Python "Oh He's a Lumber-Jack and He's OK.." Wink 

Biggest so far was 40" in diameter at the base.  Most are in the 24" to 28" diameter range.  Sad thing is can just about remember when they were only 3' tall and really did look like rows of little Christmas trees.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  clm2112 3/25/2016, 2:35 pm

Kelejan wrote:If I did, then I would buy a chipper like a shot as a load of chipped wood costs about $40 if you cannot get it for free.

If there were a market for it, it would justify the chipper.  I am just dealing with the pines at the moment, but there are a lot of trees I could dispose of to let the healthy ones spread out more.  Out of 84 acres, about 2/3rds of it is covered in mixed trees (Cherry, Maple, Locust, Ash, Oak, and some Walnut.)

It was logged once about 35 years ago.  I asked around, just to see if anyone was interested in taking the pines.  No interest at all.  They all want hardwoods and nothing else.  That is the primary motive for purchasing the band-saw mill, to harvest the mature hardwood trees and clean up the forest a bit.  For the moment I'm just dealing with the pines and the Ash trees that have succumbed to Emerald Ash Borers.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 4:23 pm

CLM,
Thanks for introducing me to the Lumberjack song...I think. Monty Python came up with some weird stuff.

I don't know if I have ever seen a tree 40" across. I bet you will get a bunch of lumber out of it. Just think of all the SFG boxes you can make!
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/26/2016, 8:01 am

Hi CLM. Glad to see you're back!

I'm sorry about Furball...!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2016, 2:25 pm

I'm sorry about Furball. Shocked I enjoy my little Furball in the yard. She even has a little designated litter box with leaves.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2016, 2:31 pm

Stock photos - Really big tree, the California Sequoia Redwoods: My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Redwoo10

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Redwoo11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 9:06 pm

On my bucket list to see one day
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/27/2016, 1:40 am

Well, then you will have to see Audrey and me!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/27/2016, 8:46 am

Sounds like a plan
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/27/2016, 9:43 am

Glad you are back on the forum, CLM, missed you over the winter! Sorry to hear about Furball. I have a dog, Z, and he is my garden buddy (well, my everything buddy really!).

Sounds like you are busy preparing for season 2, and getting ready to plant out some things! Good for you! It is that time, again!

Please consider posting over on the N&C Midwest thread, would love to hear from you there! We all experience similar conditions, weather, pests, etc.

My dad grew up in New Bethlehem, and I still have folks in that area. Beautiful country!

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day...." lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

My First SFG...Work in progress - Page 3 Empty Just a little update...

Post  clm2112 10/14/2018, 8:36 am

Just popping in at the end of another season.

My SFG is still doing well.  The frames are holding up, and I'm still growing salad greens in them.  This winter is going to force a little major maintenance.  I'm dealing with a bowed basement wall and have to dig up the foundation on the side of the house where the garden is located.  This weekend's task is to dismantle the frames.

Come spring time, looks like I'll redesign the SFG setup.  I'm still debating using the rather steep hillside on the south side of the house, making a series of steps & retaining walls to accommodate the SFG beds.

Chickens are still making use of the garden.  They will have a real treat this afternoon when I shovel out the beds... they will be picking through the mix for goodies.
clm2112
clm2112

Back to top Go down

Post  kygardener 10/23/2018, 6:11 pm

Went back and read this from the beginning.  Enjoyed your pictures.  Those are great boxes!  You cannot buy anything that is built that well.
kygardener

Female Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/23/2018, 7:34 pm

clm2112 wrote:Just popping in at the end of another season.

My SFG is still doing well.  The frames are holding up, and I'm still growing salad greens in them.  This winter is going to force a little major maintenance.  I'm dealing with a bowed basement wall and have to dig up the foundation on the side of the house where the garden is located.  This weekend's task is to dismantle the frames.

Come spring time, looks like I'll redesign the SFG setup.  I'm still debating using the rather steep hillside on the south side of the house, making a series of steps & retaining walls to accommodate the SFG beds.

Chickens are still making use of the garden.  They will have a real treat this afternoon when I shovel out the beds... they will be picking through the mix for goodies.
Hey!  Welcome back again!   cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3