Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) Toplef10On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) I22gcj10On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) Toplef10On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) I22gcj10On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name)

+3
boffer
Kelejan
mollyhespra
7 posters

Go down

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) Empty On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name)

Post  mollyhespra 5/6/2015, 10:16 pm

I've always been anxious about when I'm going to see asparagus, so last year, I noticed that the first spears showed up on May 5th at exactly the same time as the Forsythia was starting to bloom.  

This year (drum-roll, please) my first spears have popped out of the ground exactly on...May 4th the day I first noticed the Forsythia was blooming.  Thing was, I noticed the Forsythia first, but couldn't remember what it was that it was supposed to signal.  It wasn't until I saw an asparagus spear later that day that I noticed/remembered the correlation.  I went to write it down, checked my records from last year and saw that it was almost to the day that the same thing had happened in 2014.

There's a name for that (when you use something that happens naturally (bloom times of certain plants, etc.) to time something that you want to do in your own garden) but I couldn't remember what it was.

So I did some poking around and found a bunch of articles on exactly this subject and thought I'd share. Here's one I've bookmarked and plan on using for comparison in my garden this year: https://hort.uwex.edu/articles/phenology

I'm wondering now if my observation of the Forsythia and asparagus will hold true in other areas as well.  Has anyone noticed this kind of thing or other correlations before?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) Empty Re: On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name)

Post  Kelejan 5/6/2015, 10:43 pm

I read it first off as phrenology and wondered what on earth it had to do with asparagus. Very Happy

The only correlation I have so far is that I plant my tomatoes outside when the snow is off the two mountain peaks I can see from my window.

Does that count?

Off to read your article.

ETA  Yes, very interesting.  I wonder if I have enough time to make much of a list? study
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) Empty Re: On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name)

Post  boffer 5/7/2015, 9:29 am

Lavender Debs has mentioned some correlations that her grandma taught her, but I don't recall what they were specifically.  I know lilacs was one of them.

What you're getting into is GDDs (Growing Degree Days) which measures the aggregated heat for the year.

When I saw this post yesterday, I  couldn't remember where I had seen the word 'phenology'.  Here's a link that I use to calculate GDDs in the PNW that uses the word

http://uspest.org/cgi-bin/ddmodel.pl?spp=aaa&lot=50&hit=95&stm=1&wfl=C682912.txt&hfl=tacoma1_wa.txt&fcz=tacoma,%20wa&sav=1&ipc=0

Weather.com used to have a calculator that would compute GDDs by zip code, but I haven't been able to find it since they re-did their website a few months ago.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2015, 9:49 am

GDD calculator
http://adstest.climate.weather.com/outlook/agriculture/growing-degree-days

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

On Phenology (very interesting read despite the weird name) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/7/2015, 9:53 am

You found it! My hero! bear hug
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/7/2015, 12:02 pm

I still can't get that page!

Since many of these websites were redone recently, it seems that less information is available.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Or is it just my imagination?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/7/2015, 1:17 pm

I really enjoyed the article and learned a new word Laughing 

I figure that the plants/seeds are aware of and reacting to more things in the environment than I know of so I use them to tell me when to plant. 
When I see grass greening and garlic sprouting I plant snow peas but that is really too early. 
When I see orach sprouting is when I should plant peas and plant spinach and lettuce.
When I see wild mustard sprouting (or a few radish seeds planted for this purpose) I know I can plant cole crops including transplanting out (but keep them covered for cold nights).
When I see sunflowers popping up I can plant corn, wait a week and plant the squash.

I had not realized the correlation between potato planting and first dandelion bloom, but ye, that is just about right.

The one I want to figure out is when do slugs become active in the spring?  What is the indicator right before they attack and eat my lettuce seedlings?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/7/2015, 1:22 pm

Turan wrote:I really enjoyed the article and learned a new word Laughing 

- - -

I had not realized the correlation between potato planting and first dandelion bloom, but ye, that is just about right.
- - -
Oh heck! My potatoes must have rotted by now. Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/7/2015, 1:33 pm

http://www.poorwillsalmanack.com/content/phenology-february-and-march

Another interesting read on this.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/7/2015, 1:35 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Turan wrote:I really enjoyed the article and learned a new word Laughing 

- - -

- - -
Oh heck! My potatoes must have rotted by now. Sad
Or they have been in nice cool damp storage waiting for the perfect moment.  After all, as long as they did not freeze they should of been in good storage circumstance.  You can gently dig down and check.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 5/7/2015, 9:19 pm

I had mentioned this in a post on the Canadian thread: that a local gardener told me to ignore the conventional Ontario wisdom of planting on the Victoria Day weekend (the weekend before Memorial Day) and wait for the lilacs to drop their blooms before planting my tomatoes out. By the article, I'm going to have a busy weekend. The forsythia and dandelions are in bloom and the lilac leaves are almost open.

Nice article.
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/10/2015, 11:18 am

I'm really taking note of this stuff this year, but I'm doing one "better"; I'm not just going by the first dandelion I see out and about in my town; I'm going to go by when I see the first dandelion in my yard.

I live in a cold hole and I've always noted how my lilacs are easily 3 weeks behind the others in town.  When they're almost spent is when mine are starting to get into full bloom.  

I visited a local farm yesterday where we get our eggs.  I remembered the thing about the asparagus and went over to look at their patch, and nothing.  Not a spear to be seen.  They must be in an even colder hole than I am or perhaps the nearby buildings shade the patch too much, I don't know.

It just emphasizes the need to take detailed notes from year to year in order to best know when to plant what based on local conditions, not unlike Kelejan's snow-capped peaks (or lack thereof) signaling that it's time to plant tomatoes.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/10/2015, 11:36 am

Even in the garden I have to watch the micro climates.  I have sunflowers popping up in the very protected spots, but that does not mean that the area I will plant corn has warmed enough.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down