Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Toplef10What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? I22gcj10What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Toplef10What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? I22gcj10What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year?

+19
momvet
Turan
Goosegirl
llama momma
Vash_the_Stampede
audrey.jeanne.roberts
ralitaco
Wag
yolos
Mikesgardn
Judy McConnell
Cajun Cappy
katjohn83
littlesapphire
quiltbea
CapeCoddess
FeedMeSeeMore
FRED58
jamesindetroit
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Empty What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year?

Post  jamesindetroit 4/17/2015, 11:50 am

I grow my pole beans in a compact fashion. When the vines get going, it's really hard to see the beans buried in all the foliage. So I am trying the Purple Podded Pole Bean this year. I think purple will contrast well against green, how about you?

What new plant are you trying?

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Bn114
jamesindetroit
jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 126

http://www.deliverdetroit.com

Back to top Go down

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Empty Re: What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year?

Post  FRED58 4/17/2015, 12:02 pm

PUMPKINS! (Mostly for my Grandson).

I am growing "Windsor" pumpkins, which are small softball sized pie pumpkins that are intended for a container (I'm using a 5 gallon bucket):

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Pumpkin-hyb-windsor

And Knucklehead Pumpkins, which, no are not related to an antique HD Motorcycle, but are dark orange Jack O'Lantern pumpkins covered in warts. I'm growing them in a tractor tire filled with composted cattle manure:

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Hyb-knuckle-head

Neither of them will win any giant pumpkin contests, but they should be entertaining. Sadly they are both hybrids.
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Empty Re: What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year?

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 4/17/2015, 12:46 pm

Year one was: Will this SFG thing really work?

This is year two for us.
First try at:

bush beans
broccoli
brussels sprouts
beets
kale
peas
spinach
radishes
sweet potatoes

DH wanted at least 4 more beds, so there's plenty of experimenting room.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesindetroit 4/17/2015, 1:07 pm

Neither of them will win any giant pumpkin contests, but they should be entertaining. Sadly they are both hybrids.

There's nothing wrong with Hybrids. Nature does it all the time - it's called cross-pollination, and sometimes something reproducible comes of it. Genetically modified is an entirely different ball of wax! Hybrids are okay IMHO.

If you are interested in a pumpkin for pumpkin pie - by all means grow the best kind for it - which is not really a pumpkin at all. It's called Australian Butter, and it's squash. How about that!

Last edited by jamesindetroit on 4/17/2015, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesindetroit
jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesindetroit 4/17/2015, 1:09 pm

FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Year one was: Will this SFG thing really work?

This is year two for us.
First try at:

bush beans
broccoli
brussels sprouts
beets
kale
peas
spinach
radishes
sweet potatoes

DH wanted at least 4 more beds, so there's plenty of experimenting room.

Congratulations on making it to year two. Brussel Sprouts are difficult and space consuming. I grew some last year with moderate success, but they really do belong somewhere along the house or something so they can grow. I would like to try Okra, but I measure what we will grow by how reasonable yield is to invested labor and time. Brassicas - they just don't cut it for me.... Have fun with the taters and let us know how the sprouts do!
jamesindetroit
jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/17/2015, 1:12 pm

New for me this year:

Red Winter kale
Georgia collards
Purple Petra basil
Sweetie cherry & Striped Roman tomatoes
Danvers 126 carrots
Delicata & Trombocini squashes
Orange Lunch Box & Pepperoncini peppers
Lots of different lettuces, chards & beets
Seven Top turnip greens

I think that's it.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/17/2015, 2:51 pm

I'm trying Kalettes.  New to me in Johnnyseeds catalog this year.  A cross between a kale and Brussels sprouts that produces small kale florets up a long Brussels sprouts-type stalk.
What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 04-17-10
In this photo they are the lower left cell pack.  I have to up-pot those and my mini-tomatoes today.  They all need more room.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 4/17/2015, 4:01 pm

jamesindetroit wrote:I grow my pole beans in a compact fashion. When the vines get going, it's really hard to see the beans buried in all the foliage. So I am trying the Purple Podded Pole Bean this year. I think purple will contrast well against green, how about you?

What new plant are you trying?

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Bn114
James, I've been growing purple podded pole bean for many years now.  I love it!  The plants are beautiful; they have purple flowers and purple vines, and the leaves are a lovely dark green.  And yes, the beans are so easy to find, plus, they're HUGE!  I'm sure you'll love them.

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Dsc_8010

What I'm trying that's new to me is:

Peacevine tomato (A dehybridized version of Sweet 100)
Black cherry tomato
Joan rutabaga
Yukon gem potato
Red kuri winter squash
Rossa di Milano onion

That's really about it.  I saved a bunch of seed from last year.  Also, I buy all of my seeds from High Mowing seeds, and although I like them a bunch, they don't have a lot of variety.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  katjohn83 4/17/2015, 5:01 pm

Purple hull peas
Bush Beans
chinese yellow cucumber
Black Krim Tomaotes
Fox Cherry Tomatoes
Pink Bumblebee Tomotoes
Djana's gold tomatoes
New Zealand Spinach
Purple Sicily cauliflower
Chinese cabbage
Potatoes

I built 3 new beds this year so plenty of room to try new things.

What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 07-235-06What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Img_1718
What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Img_1720What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Img_1722What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Img_1723What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Img_1724What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? Img_1725
katjohn83
katjohn83

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/17/2015, 5:09 pm

Pretty, KatJohn. 
Heck, those snakes would keep ME out! Shocked I wonder if pcs of hose or tubing would work as well. 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 4/17/2015, 5:44 pm

First time to try broccoli in the spring.  They do well in the fall and into the winter cause of the long season.  We cheated this year and planted early for us 3-8 to be exact.  You may remember from another post it was 3 full weeks before Mr Pecan gave the all clear. Smile  We gambled cause of the extremely late damaging frost last year.  Which don't happen but once every 10 or so.  The bet paid off on the brocoli dept and I planted 8 at 1 per square.  I just came in with a bowl full and we any get another crop if the temp stays below an 85 degree average.  I just know spring fresh broccoli is a real treat for us. What New Veggie Are You Trying This Year? 3170584802
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/17/2015, 6:02 pm

OK I cant figure out how to insert a quote, but I'm not concerned about hybrids as such, I just wanted to save seeds (especially from the Knuckleheads). Very Happy
FRED58
FRED58

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/17/2015, 6:04 pm

oh, yeah: SNAKE!
FRED58
FRED58

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 4/17/2015, 6:21 pm

Having had great luck with Scarlet Runner beans, last year - I will be trying other pole beans this year:
Blue Lake - P
Kty Wonder - P
Purple podded-P
Rattlesnake -P

Several of you like Dragon tongue bush beans, so I want to try them too.

First time for garlic, shallots, and multipler onions, but they were planted last October - they look good and I'm hoping that they grow bulbs.

I planted a collection of intermediate zone onions from Territorial - but they don't seem to be storing onions.  If they form bulbs, I'll probably have to dice and freeze most of them.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 4/17/2015, 7:27 pm

I'm trying pumpkins this year too!
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/17/2015, 8:58 pm

Bush lima beans.  Funny story.  I was in the Feed and Seed store today and asked the old timer there which bush lima bean he would recommend.  He asked me where I was from.  He asked if I was a Yankee.  I said no.  Then he said the best bush butter beans (southern for lima beans) were Henderson.  But he said he never recommends them to the Yankees because he likes to save them for us southerners.  Apparently, the other lima beans are mealy but not the Henderson.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Wag 4/17/2015, 10:54 pm

best pumpkin for pies / eating I find is  Cushaw Green Stripe Crook Neck.    4th year I'm growing em.
Wag

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/17/2015, 11:21 pm

I had a 1 - 4x4 about 4 or 5 years ago and had success with leaf lettuce (don't know what kind) and jalepenos. Pretty much everything else was a bust. So I am finally giving it another go this time with a Table Top. From what I can tell the plants I selected are easy to grow, usually successful and all things I eat (except for the Swiss Chard. Everyone on here seems to grow it and love to eat it but I have never tried it but like the bright colors.

So here is my list:

1. Swiss Chard - Lots of people on this forum grow it and I like the colors.
  2. Cucumbers - Slicing - Cukes seem to always grow without much trouble.
  3. Pole Beans - I saw Yolos and I want to have giant plants too but not sure how to do it in a table top.
  4. Lettuce - Leaf - had success in the past, going to try various varieties.
  5. Lettuce - Leaf - "
  6. Lettuce - Leaf - "
  7. Lettuce - Leaf - "
  8. Pepper - Bell Green - Hoping the bells grow as I had success with jalepenos but I was the only one to eat them.
  9. Pepper - Bell Yellow - "
  10. Squash - Zucchini - I need to make sure I have the vining type not the bush. I plan to let them run on the ground. Hopefully I can get the soil right and not suffer from end rot like last time.
  11. Tomato - Cherry or Grape - I couldn't get a full size tomato to ripen because of end rot, so I will try little ones.

Feel free to offer suggestions on which varieties i should use. 
Now what the heck are those purple beans? do you eat the pods or just the innards?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/17/2015, 11:52 pm

1.  Rutabagas
2.  Two new rare melons that I don't have the name memorized or with me right now.
3.  Rutgers tomatoes
4.  A couple new squash, one is a buttercup and i can't remember the other!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vash_the_Stampede 4/18/2015, 12:20 am

Hello all,

New for us this year are:

Ghost Peppers
Parsnip
Orangeglo Watermelon 
New England Sugar Pie Pumpkins

I'm very excited about the melons and pumpkins, though because of work I won't be around much this summer to see how they do.

thanks
Vash_the_Stampede
Vash_the_Stampede

Male Posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/18/2015, 8:21 am

I saw this on yahoo last night and thought the traveler tomato and red noodle beans might be worth a shot if I get my other beds going in time.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/10-wonderfully-weird-seeds-to-plant-in-your-spring-116069357210.html
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/18/2015, 11:05 am

I'm trying out spaghetti squash this year. 

Would like to try Tromboncino if I can get my hands on some seeds. Forgot to order tromb. seeds..... maybe someone has some and/or would like to trade seeds?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/18/2015, 1:03 pm

Trying Orach.  Tried growing some last year, but the summer ended up being VERY hectic, a friend had to move her garden from their rental into a few of my boxes (one of them was the failed Orach box) so the scrawny, puny Orach got overshadowed by peppers and cukes.  This year will be different, really!  (got a bridge to sell ya, as well  Cool)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/18/2015, 3:25 pm

I am really trying to consolidate this year and focus on what we really like and can grow.  So I informed my DH that there will be NO okra experiments in the green house this year.  4 years of trying and about 4 pods for the effort.  So my continuing experiments are in peppers, rutabagas and pole bean growing.

The pepper line up is Krimson Lee, Syrian 3 sided, Hot Hungarian Wax, and Ancho.

The rutabagas are Joans and they get a full bed to themselves and I will start them inside this time and a month earlier this time.  

The pole beans are Violet (I notice a trend here), Helda Romano (in the greenhouse), and Blue Lake (reliable from other years).  Noodle beans are going the way of okra, even the greenhouse is the wrong climate.

GG, I bet that once your orach gets going it will return forever for you Smile   It likes a really early start, it is already up in my garden from were it sowed itself last year.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  momvet 4/18/2015, 11:25 pm

I have gardened in the past but for many years I have only done tomatoes in the summer because of my limited space. My first SFG and it isn't small as recommended (the beds were already there) and once filled with MM, I couldn't resist "filling" them. So far, so good. Except for the bugs, but I think that is now under control. Anyway, things I have NEVER grown include lettuce, kale, turnips, beets (two kinds), trombocini and pattypan squash. The turnips are doing the best! I don't particularly care for turnips, but I have a Russian tortoise that thinks the leaves are heavenly!Smile
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next