Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  Toplef10Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  I22gcj10Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  Toplef10Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  I22gcj10Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?

4 posters

Go down

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  Empty Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?

Post  NowWeAreFour 4/11/2015, 6:54 pm

I'd be putting them (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) in the garden in about four weeks. Is that even enough time to get them well started, or should I just wait and buy transplants? pale I was running behind, and then we were traveling, and then when we got back we were all sick... Ugh, I bought all new seeds this winter and everything. 

Thanks all.
NowWeAreFour
NowWeAreFour

Back to top Go down

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  Empty Re: Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?

Post  sanderson 4/11/2015, 7:03 pm

Four, Glad you are all recovered or recovering. It's not fun when the whole household is sick. Nothing to lose by trying your new seeds. I planted my seedlings when they were 4-5 weeks old, 2 weeks after last frost date. That was probably a push, but the tomatoes are beautiful and 90% of the peppers are now ready to pinch off. In what State/City/Region are you?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  Empty Re: Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?

Post  NowWeAreFour 4/11/2015, 7:13 pm

Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, it was a shock to come home and find ourselves all down for the count. And I never get sick! I really can't remember the last time I felt unwell enough to stay in bed for a few days. 

I'm in 6a--central NJ. I aim to plant out by 5/15 at the latest (LFD is ~4/20), but the last few years either my seedlings have failed or I've just been too late to start indoors. I really promised myself I would be more careful this year! Maybe I'll start the toms and buy the other two. I know the germination time on those will eat up a lot of my next few weeks. 

Thanks.
NowWeAreFour
NowWeAreFour

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/11/2015, 7:51 pm

I know how you are feeling. For me the main reason I would start now from seed is if there is a variety that you cannot find as a start and you just have to have it in the garden. I will be starting some tomato seeds in 2 weeks instead of two weeks ago. I have to travel next week and I want gilberties in my garden, so I will sow the seeds when I get home.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is there any point to starting seeds indoors now?  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/11/2015, 7:54 pm

Tomatoes and peppers usually need a 6-8 week start and will be wonderful transplanted in your garden.  Eggplant can even go in a little later since they like warmer evenings.
You can transplant them out when they are still rather small as long as the outside temps are in the 50s and above.  They will grow quickly at those temps.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NowWeAreFour 4/12/2015, 9:20 am

Thank you, I think you're probably right. I'm just so eager to get everything GOING! bounce

CampRN, you make a very good point, and I think this is the approach I'll take. I don't mind picking up seedlings for the Rutgers tomatoes et al., but I have seeds for a few varieties of tomatoes and peppers that I really want and don't usually find out and about, so I think I'll focus on those. I don't think I've ever seen ajies dulces seedlings in any nursery/garden center I've been to, ever! 

Thanks for reassuring me. Four days of forced inactivity have made me a little crazy! At least I managed to get potatoes in and the greens sowed yesterday before I collapsed back onto the couch.
NowWeAreFour
NowWeAreFour

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down