Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
new member Toplef10new member 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

new member I22gcj10new member 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
new member Toplef10new member 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

new member I22gcj10new member 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

4 posters

Go down

new member Empty new member

Post  ricky 5/5/2010, 2:55 pm

Just dropping a line to say hi to every body. I'm 38 , married to a woman new member Icon_eek with three children and three dogs. I'm a licensed contractor by trade and a gardener by choice. I live in south Georgia a little south of the Ocmoulgee River. I received a SFG book from my late grandmother some years ago ( I think its the original book) after she tried to teach me a little about gardening before she pasted. my interest in gardening has come a little to late but I'm sure she would be happy to know the seed she planted did not fall on hard ground but good and has sprouted and is doing well. Not in mel's mix but good dirt just the same new member Icon_razz I'm interested in teaching SFG but moving slow to be sure not to rush such a good thing and make a mess of it. Would like to hear from some that has and is still teaching SFG to just get some insight.Also interested in aiding and helping elderly and disable. I'm also into birds and wild life as I build and make bird feeders and houses as a hobby.
ricky

Back to top Go down

new member Empty Re: new member

Post  WardinWake 5/5/2010, 3:41 pm

Rickey:

new member 396615 Welcome to the SFG forum and family. The first thing is to get and read a copy of Mel's book, "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening". The book is available in many bookstores, many Lowe's and other outlets. You can also order the book through this website. There are many improvements and refinements in the new book.

There are two ways to become certified to teach Square Foot Gardening. One is though the correspondence coarse sold through this web site and the other is to attend a 3-day symposium taught by Mel.

Again, welcome and I hope you will post often.

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  ricky 5/5/2010, 7:53 pm

I have a copy of it and have read it that is where I got this web site. I also ordered a school program book the online program and the cash book as well. I also plan to go to one of the programs as soon as I can, after reading and studying the material a little bit.Just to meet Mel would be a honor and do a little hands on learning is one of the best ways to learn, other than trial and error if your hard headed new member Icon_razz . I hope after thirty eight years I have learned something. I Started a compost pile about a week and a half ago, covered it with plastic and cut slits so it could breathe and been turning it every two days That Is one amazing process. My boys are impressed and built three boxes with recycled land fabric tacked to the bottom just a waitin on compost to get right and yes Mel I also have grids ready, because ("It aint SFGing without them") new member Icon_biggrin .
ricky

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/5/2010, 10:25 pm

Ricky, welcome! I can tell you are one of us already - so much energy and enthusiasm! I'll look forward to hearing how things progress!

And how cool is it that your boys are learning science from garbage!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

new member Empty New Member

Post  Bec 5/6/2010, 9:40 am

Welcome! Regarding teaching, I became a certified teacher of SFG a couple of months ago at the Brevard, NC symposium. I would highly recommend going to the classes if you can. The input from the individuals in the class was invaluable. I know every class will be different because they are hosted by different people, but in ours we even divided the class up into 2 panels and had 1 side anti-SFG asking questions of the pro-SFG side. We also had a jeopardy game, put together outside a 4x4 box on the ground including the mix, grid and frame and a 2x4 raised box (on legs), also with the mix and grid. We also planted seeds in both boxes. Mel even got ideas from the class. You can't get those types of things from a correspondence course. Of course it costs more, but if you can afford it I'd recommend it.

I've only had once class so far (using PowerPoint) but an having another on May 15 outside at our local community garden, so without PowerPoint. Have other plans but that's as far as I've gotten so far.

Have fun with your new venture!
Bec
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

new member Empty things are popin

Post  ricky 5/7/2010, 10:05 am

Well, I first want to tell everybody thanks for welcoming to the SFGing family and being helpful. Now here goes, yesterday I meet with the principal of the school where my boys attend (West side Elementary) to discuss the possibilities of me teaching or instructing a class on SFGing and what grade would it suit best with the lack of time of me running my other businesses. Our conversation was dead in the water it seemed at first, BUT THEN i mentioned that it would be a organic garden, then she ask how or where we would till the ground for the garden and I explained to her that there would be no need to even have a tractor on the place. that it would be teaching math, science, the three R's,its safe and responsibilities. Everything that a fifth grade student would need to learn about. Not to mention but after I did there would be no mess and no chemicals involved new member Icon_cool That seemed to be the nail that shut the coffin. So here is how it will go down, three classes.Three days a week, one and a half hour classes with only one teacher to have to explain it to, or a one day class as she is willing to work with my schedule. THIS AWESOME OR WHAT!!! I'm also going big with it as the book says and gone to local food and restaurants chains to gather their excess vegetable,fruit and teabag waste. So far I have come up with two restaurants and one local grocery store. You would be surprised as to the number of grocery stores that can not help because of state policies,laws and regulations. "Lets talk green but lets not do green" BLA,BLA,BLA Well no matter I feel that our labors will bare the fruit to understanding.

One quick qestion will the tea bag bags compost well or do you need to cut it open and dump out?
ricky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down