Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Earth Farm Toplef10New Earth Farm 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Earth Farm I22gcj10New Earth Farm 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Earth Farm Toplef10New Earth Farm 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Earth Farm I22gcj10New Earth Farm 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Earth Farm

2 posters

Go down

New Earth Farm Empty New Earth Farm

Post  caters 2/28/2015, 10:13 pm

I figured that square foot gardening would give me, my momma, and my dad the highest abundance in the lowest amount of space. We use the minimum recommended spacing to raise this abundance even higher. 

For fruit trees we figured maybe 4 trees per blooming period, each one being of a different type(For apples this different type criterion will be easy peasy because the seeds of 1 type of apple don't always grow into the same type of apple as their parent apple).

However, unless there is a way of accessing seed DNA without damaging the seed and I compare it to the DNA of other apples until I find as close a match as possible, how will I know the blooming period of the apple it will grow into?

For our citrus we kind of are going the same route(We are using a greenhouse for this). However we might get some unexpected hybrids such as meyer lemons(hybrid of lemon and orange) as well as purebreds. Will these hybrids show up at the same time and on the same trees as the purebred fruit?

Our grains are going to take up 1 acre starting with wheat and oats. Our non-tree fruit(like berries and stuff) will take up another acre. We have a few cherry trees so fertility there is no problem(they are once again of different types).

This leaves for our first 5 acres, 3 acres for vegetables and herbs. However since all these variables are likely to change due to higher and higher abundances of previous types and new types being planted how will I be able to balance all of this so that I don't get exponential growth of fruits, veggies, herbs, and grains for miles and miles, just higher abundance in the same number of plants?

And we have animals to.

We have 3 cows and 2 bulls to start off with. As far as our meat we only get it from male animals and as long as the males don't die off completely the amount that we kill doesn't matter as much. The only exception to this is chicken and other birds where we kill the females instead.

For transportation we have horses and for bacon and pork we have pigs. We even have ducks and turkeys.

For water we have a big solar still that is about as tall as my dad is. Even at a shallow depth of only .5 inches we get gallons of water because of the large radius of my solar still.

We even have a pond to fish from, woods to collect maple sap and to hunt, and a river to give us some electricity and to irrigate our garden. The rest of our electricity comes from wind turbines and solar panels. There are also several lakes miles away from us and the ocean hundreds of miles away
caters
caters

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

New Earth Farm Empty Re: New Earth Farm

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/1/2015, 10:32 am

Wow!  Hi Caters.  Welcome to the forum from Atlanta, GA!

Sounds like y'all have a great set-up there.  You're very fortunate that, at such a young age, you have that opportunity.

Question - why do you take beef from only the males?  (I'm guessing the females are milk cows...?)

Am looking forward to seeing pictures of how your homestead and garden do this year...!

One piece of advice - don't get locked in to the minimum space thing...  I did that to a certain extent last year and paid for it.  Unless, of course, you can put PLENTY of compost tea, etc. on everything all summer long.  (You've got much more to use for compost than I do.)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  caters 3/1/2015, 11:33 am

I take beef from only the males because they are leaner and because the females are milk cows.

So you think I should use the average of the maximum spacing and minimum spacing and use that as my spacing?
caters
caters

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/1/2015, 6:45 pm

Not sure how to answer that...  There's so many variables... Weather, your MM condition, the type of item you're planting.

I tend to force as much in as possible.  Again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I managed to get 2-3 okra plants/sq.  I tried 4 corn/sq, but I don't think I had enough nutrients to sustain them....

My opinion - try the max & see what happens!  Just don't be totally disappointed if you find you have to thin stuff out a bit.

Makes sense on the cows.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  caters 3/6/2015, 1:44 pm

And I guess that to get a higher abundance in the same number of plants I would have to somehow tag the plants or something and look at its blossoming and fruit production history. That way I know which plants have the DNA for high abundance and which don't so that I use some of the fruit produced with high abundance DNA to plant the same number of that type of plant during the next year.
caters
caters

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/6/2015, 3:49 pm

That would certainly be a good idea!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor