Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Too much water? Toplef10Too much water? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Too much water? I22gcj10Too much water? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Too much water? Toplef10Too much water? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Too much water? I22gcj10Too much water? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Too much water?

5 posters

Go down

Too much water? Empty Too much water?

Post  vinny09 5/4/2010, 9:52 pm

So I know Mel's Mix cannot be over watered, but I think my boxes have been giving me mixed signals about their moisture. So it's been fairly breezy and warm recently. I've got a drip irrigation set up where the 1/4" emitter lines are 1ft apart and the emitters are 6" apart on the lines. I've been watering every 2 days b/c the top of the mix is dry and crumbly to the touch, so I've just been turning on the irrigation. But I noticed that after about 5min, the ground around the boxes are starting to get wet like the water is just running through the box and not being absorbed by the mix. So today, the tops looked all dry and crusty, so I went and reached down and grabbed handfuls of mix and noticed it was fairly damp. I turned on the drip irrigation just to see how fast the sides of the boxes would get wet again and sure enough, within 5min, the ground was wet again. Most of the plants look normal (at least I think they are), but the basil leaves are starting to turn light brown. Is this a sign of too much water? In reading the SFG book, Mel suggests a ladel of water into the 2" depression at each plant. So am I to believe that the only moist soil should be 2" diameter around each plant? Should I adjust my irrigation to completely saturate the entire box? I figure the way it's set up now, only the area around the plant is getting watered and on breezy days, the tops get all dry and crusty. Thanks!
vinny09

Back to top Go down

Too much water? Empty Re: Too much water?

Post  Judge Kemp 5/4/2010, 10:07 pm

You're not alone! I'm struggling with watering too, but I've always found proper watering to be difficult both before and after this first year of SFG. I found my boxes were dry and crumbly on top but more moist throughout on the box I set up yesterday, but more than a little dry throughout on the two other boxes I'd set up a few weeks ago. With all the rain we'd gotten I thought it would be plenty wet. Turns out it seems to have dried rather quickly.
Judge Kemp

Male Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 5/4/2010, 10:10 pm

My plan is to use mulch this year, and water every morning like clockwork. On each box I count to ten Very Happy I'm really trying not to stress out about controlling every aspect of the garden, but I'm realizing that I'm a tad bit of a plant control freak! *giggle*

Last year I watered religiously for a month or so, then we really neglected the garden, and we still got food! Knowing that, I'm not as worried about getting it wrong Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2010, 12:18 am

Here's what has worked for me for nearly five years. All my sfg boxes are tabletops. If the sun is shining in the morning, I use the hose to hand water each box till water starts dripping out. If the sun isn't shining, I don't water. It works for me here in the PNW.

The only exception is when I've planted seeds. I'll water twice a day, every day, to keep them damp because the top layer does dry out quickly.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/5/2010, 10:53 am

boffer wrote:snip ....The only exception is when I've planted seeds. I'll water twice a day, every day, to keep them damp because the top layer does dry out quickly.
That works for you boff? Do you use the hose to water or do you have a source of warmer water that you sprinkle on? I worry about chilling my seeds too much and avoid watering them after planting on (hopefully) a warmer day. It doesn't seem to take much moisture to get a seed to sprout....but you are saying the chill doesn't hurt them?? I've seen pics of your garden, it must not hurt them at all, I'm just surprised after all the years I thought I had to protect seeds from cold water chill.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2010, 12:56 pm

Nope-cold water.

It was a September when I put in my in-ground sprinkling system and new lawn from seed. I set the timer for 15 minutes, 3x times a day. It was not an unusually warm Sep. In four days, I was seeing a sheen of green. I've never seen grass grow that fast. Watering three times a day is what the grass seed suppliers recommend, but who in their right minds does that manually, without an automatic sprinkler? I never had. I just took that experience and started using it in the veggie gardens. Truth is, I sometime water seeds three times a day on the rare hot days. It makes me feel good if nothing else!

I know for a fact that warmer soil reduces germination time. But I don't have a clue about the differences in performance between warm water watering and multi-daily cold water watering. It may be one of those personal preference scenarios: I'm happy how it works for me so I haven't thought much about doing it differently.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down