Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? Toplef10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? Toplef10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015?

5 posters

Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? Empty CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015?

Post  Kelejan 2/1/2015, 11:29 am

Welcome, Canadians and friends. Another month nearer to spring and more daylight to enjoy and getting better every day.

Yesterday at 9am my time the sun was shining brightly straight down the road I live on but not a ray touched my land.  If only whoever built the houses all those years ago had extended the gardens fifty feet southwards all gardens on my road would have an extra 500 square feet of usable garden space.  The same happens in summer when the sun sets.  Now that I have my trees down, I will be able to watch the sun rise higher and earlier and will be able to track the amount of sunlight.  Everyone on the other side of the road has that extra sun.  My only consolation is that when we bought our little house, it would have been more expensive and beyond our reach. But in the hot summer, our side is the better side to be as we do not get scorched and do not need air-conditioning.

Now today the snow is falling and the rest of the week will be a mixture of snow or rain depending on what the winds bring us and from which direction.

In other parts of the country the week's forecast is for Alberta well below freezing, Saskatchewan lots of sunshine but temperature highs range from -17C/1F to -5C/23F; meanwhile Ontario much the same but more snow, and yet more cold and snow going eastwards.

As yesterday was such a lovely day where I live, I sorted out some compost and MM and today decided I will mix some potting soil and practice using my new soil block-makers, just to make sure I get the right consistency.  I have also decided to try some winter seeding as I have three suitable containers that I have to finish preparing.

My previous plan for this morning was to go out where my dog had discovered some lovely rotten birch logs by the railway tracks. I generally have a bag with me and gather suitable stuff to add biomass to my garden. Leaves, bits of rotten wood etc., but this was a huge branch that had fallen across the walking path so I moved it to the side and it broke into pieces.  Too much to gather bit by bit so I was going to take my old shopping trolley, but it will have to wait now for a few more weeks.

Well, not much else to talk about in Canada yet, so have a good month everyone.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015?

Post  Kelejan 2/1/2015, 11:39 am

piratemum, what is the weather like where you are in SW Ontario?
Hope your cold is getting better.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015?

Post  Kelejan 2/1/2015, 5:10 pm

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html

Sunrise, Sunset and Day-length for February 2015.

February Garden Chores... Do not jump the gun, you may regret it.

http://awaytogarden.com/february-garden-chores-2/

I acknowledge I have pinched this from camprn. Very Happy

The first link is from this site so I thought I would go all the way.
A huge amount of navigable information. Lots to explore.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/5/2015, 7:08 pm

An official glad you\'re here to @MariaOlson from Abbotsford, B.C. to the Canadian forum. happy hi

In the post above are some interesting links that might help you.

What is the weather like where you are.  Here in Castlegar it is some rain, some snow, overcast, but not very cold.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/8/2015, 10:55 pm

How are you coping with the rains, MariaOlsen? I am having a little too much as it is streaming down my driveway via the hillside behind my house.  Normally this would not happen as it is usually snow that melts  gradually so causing no problem.

In addition my garden is now completely exposed so I am hoping that we do not get a freeze before the snow fall again.  Far too early for all this rain, it should be snow.

Transferred to CANADIAN REGION- What are you doing in February 2015
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaOlson 2/13/2015, 2:12 am

Hi, just caught up on this post. I know I asked where you live in the "drip irrigation " thread, but it's so cool you live in Castlegar. My in laws live in Castlegar! They own the Twin Rivers Motel on Columbia Ave. We go up there every year or so for a week of fishing. Kokanee and Trout (mostly Rainbows, but occasionally a young Girard) I love the drive up from Abbotsford, there is such a varied range of scenery.
MariaOlson
MariaOlson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/13/2015, 8:12 am

Hi Maria: Glad you caught up with the Canadian Region.

Yes, I know the Twin Rivers Motel, pass it every time I catch the bus to the Community Complex. We must a a coffee next time you are in Castlegar and we can talk face to face about SFG. Very Happy

My garden is now almost completely clear of snow but still too damp to do anything and in addition I have a cold, the first in years, and I am off back to bed. If I felt up to it I could do some clearing up what I did not get done before the snow fell last year.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/16/2015, 8:05 pm

For some reason I thought I had been away from my hosting of the Canadian thread for a long time, but it just seems a long time as I have been tucked up in bed nursing a case of KARMA for boasting how I never get colds. At least it was not the flu.

It's only been three days but three long days. I expect it seemed that way as the sun has been shining and I have wanted to get out and DO something.

This morning I had the first bit of sun on my property; the far corner where I have the eight birch trees taken down.  It will only get better now with the lengthening daylight hours and the sun rising higher every day over that hill behind me that keeps me in its cold shadow.

It is no wonder Canadians have not been very active, considering the sub-sub-zero temperatures and feet deep of snow in the Eastern provinces.  Just to let you know I am thinking and feeling for you all anywhere west of British Columbia and the top half of British Columbia.  What's left is still kind of cool, though.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/16/2015, 9:58 pm

Oh, dear.  A cold is never fun.  Enjoy some nice hot tea/soup and get better soon! reading
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/16/2015, 10:58 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Oh, dear.  A cold is never fun.  Enjoy some nice hot tea/soup and get better soon!  reading

+!  I caught a cold in January.  At least it wasn't a flu.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/17/2015, 1:01 am

I saw this on Facebook and thought of all of you in the freezing snow: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? Winter10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/17/2015, 2:06 am

sanderson wrote:
mollyhespra wrote:Oh, dear.  A cold is never fun.  Enjoy some nice hot tea/soup and get better soon!  reading

+!  I caught a cold in January.  At least it wasn't a flu.
Molly, A friend gave me some delicious hot soup that had something in it that brought me to a glow, then I had a nice sleep and I feel quite good now.

I had to miss our local "Seedy Sunday" though as I did not feel up to it. I don't think people would appreciate someone mixing with then and sharing their cold.

sanderson, your owls made me smile. Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaOlson 2/19/2015, 2:57 am

Glad to hear you're feeling better. we've had a dry few days here, but the rain is coming back, But at least it's not snow.
MariaOlson
MariaOlson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/19/2015, 9:55 am

Maria, all better now, thank goodness, and yesterday I did some work in the garden taking advantage of no rain or snow although it is getting  below zero at night and above during the day.

Not able to turn the compost yet but hoping the winter seeds I planted in bottles will soon be germinating.  Was able to gather wood from fallen trees and break them up for use as wood chips and mulch. I generally carry a couple of plastic shopping bags with me when out walking the dog. I am having to try and make up for all the leaves I could not gather last fall due to our local city crew going on strike and not clearing the roads. By the time they had finished striking, the snow was here so all the leaves were under this blanket of snow for the rest of the winter. I usually got about eighty bags of leaves each year from my own trees and collecting myself from nearby roads and now they are now longer here I need to fill the gap.

Meanwhile, in the rest of Canada, what can I say?  It must take a long time for the snow to melt and then get warm and dry enough for planting. Our best wishes to the ROC from British Columbia.

I saw two crocus yesterday as I went into the Library. One yellow and one purple. I should imagine that Abbotsford and places west already have more flowers and something called green grass.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  MariaOlson 2/25/2015, 1:02 am

Glad you're feeling better. I planted some bulbs last fall for the first time. Tulips, crocuses, snowdrops,fritillarias, and species tulips. I am so excited because everything it coming up, and a couple crocuses and snowdrops have bloomed. Today we built one of the garden boxes, and partially
filled it. I also have a bunch of seedlings starting under some grow lights that my husband bought for my birthday. This yr will be quite an adventure for us since we are increasing our gardening space and growing a whole range of stuff we've never grown before.
MariaOlson
MariaOlson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/25/2015, 1:20 am

Isn't it exciting, Maria, trying new things? I am looking forward to my tulips, daffs and grape hyacinth coming up; I can just see a few tips poking through the mulch..

It has turned a little colder now compared with the last couple of weeks when it was quite comfortable to work outside.  I know it seems that little is happening in the garden but I am sure all those roots are growing and just waiting for the warmth and light to get to the right tipping point.

Still lots of cold and snow to the east of us here in B.C. They have had an awful time of it and I am happy to be living where I am, even though being human we do grumble until we compare out situation with others.

I bought myself a pressure sprayer today so that I can spray minerals all over the garden; trying to improve the nutrition of the veggies.  I read somewhere that compared to 50 years ago, one would need to eat about 50 of today's apples to equal an apple grown then.

Tomorrow I will be going out to buy the ingredients for potting soil.  While out today I browsed trough Canadian Tire and was astounded at the different number of packaged stuff available.  I did buy some blood meal and lime. I already have compost but I need some peat, coarse sand and perlite, colloidal phosphate and greensand. I am avoiding anything that says Roundup.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/28/2015, 5:27 pm

Hello again. JeNetty and a welcome to the Canadian thread. 

I live in British Columbia and this year the snow has gone for the moment but I really do not like the bare ground as I think it looks too vulnerable and I also feel that we are going to have drought and forest fires here in B.C. this summer.

Back to yourself.  All winter I have feeling your pain with all this SNOW and COLD and knowing that it is not going away in a hurry, and you still have the danger of floods.

I see that you have a teeny yard, so SFG will be ideal to get the best out of it. We can talk about the area in a bit, you have plenty of time to plan.  You must have just moved there.  What stage are you at doing SFG? Beginner, Novice, More experienced?  I guess not too experienced as you hope to realize your dream this season.

I will follow your progress and will help as much as I can, although I have been doing this for about four years I do not consider myself experienced but always willing to learn from others and even able to answer a question or two and know that I am right. Very Happy 

You say your temp is about -5C, below freezing so not much is happening then. Right now my temperature is +5C but tonight it is going to -3C and in a few days it will be down to -12C as that block of cold air shifts over from eastern Canada to the WEST. Meanwhile, during the day it will rise to just above freezing.

I can assure you that one day the snow will melt. Have you ever known it not to? Very Happy

You will be able to get all the help you need here on this Forum. Feel free to read any thread you feel interested in and ask questions, we all love to air out knowledge.

I am a beginner at hosting and my way is to begin the Canadian thread on the first of the month.  So you can answer if you wish, today, and tomorrow there will be a month of  March section.  Go back over this month of February and you will see that mostly I have been talking to myself, but that is not surprizsng as Canada will not wake up for another month or so but we can at least look forward together.

Kelejan
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/28/2015, 7:00 pm

Kelejan wrote:
  Go back over this month of February and you will see that mostly I have been talking to myself, but that is not surprizsng as Canada will not wake up for another month or so but we can at least look forward together.

Kelejan
No Kelejan, you have not been talking to yourself.  We are all listening but just not replying to your thread very often.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/28/2015, 7:30 pm

yolos wrote:
Kelejan wrote:
  Go back over this month of February and you will see that mostly I have been talking to myself, but that is not surprizsng as Canada will not wake up for another month or so but we can at least look forward together.

Kelejan
No Kelejan, you have not been talking to yourself.  We are all listening but just not replying to your thread very often.
Thank you for those few kind words, yolo. I had better brush up on my typos, then.
I often find them when re-read my writing and it is too late to correct them.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 3/1/2015, 8:11 am

yolos wrote:
Kelejan wrote:

Kelejan

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in February 2015? 3170584802 That's right.  I've been admiring your energy and tenacity in keeping the "conversation" Wink  going and I've popped in for a quick comment or two, but I always read it even if I don't end up having anything to contribute.  I'm sure others do, too.   Post on!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/1/2015, 8:20 am

Thanks for the encouragement mollyhespera, it is very much appreciated.  I know I am not really writing into thin air as I myself read most of everything that is written in this forum and also the old saying, that if you read a letter in the paper it means that many others have read it.
Off now to start my new thread, CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in March 2015.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down