Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! Toplef10Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! I22gcj10Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! Toplef10Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! I22gcj10Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes!

3 posters

Go down

Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! Empty Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes!

Post  CapeCoddess 12/16/2014, 3:03 pm

I'm new to pressure cooking and so far have only canned and cooked rice/beans with my pressure cooker/canner. But I found a good deal on organic free range drumsticks last weekend and want to use the pressure cooker on them.

Any favorite recipes for poultry, ham and everything else?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! Empty Re: Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes!

Post  plantoid 12/19/2014, 4:30 am

CC what sort of pressure cooker do you have , idoes it also have the canner capability  ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes! Empty Re: Share your winningest Pressure Cooker recipes!

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/19/2014, 9:18 am

While I have a (LARGE) pressure canner/cooker, I've only used it for canning thus far...  Sorry...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/19/2014, 1:09 pm

plantoid wrote:CC what sort of pressure cooker do you have , idoes it also have the canner capability  ?

It's called a Fagor 10 qt duo:
http://www.fagoramerica.com/cookware/pressure_cookers/duo_line/duo

Yes, I bought it 3 yrs ago for making beans and canning. Since it's just me I don't need a big one. It's perfect & simple. Doesn't have a jiggler or guage or any of that stuff. Only issue is there's a 10psi & a 15psi and nothing else, but I've been able to work with that just fine.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/19/2014, 1:55 pm

The paper work for it should have some reasonable tried & tested pressure cooing recipes.

Like making a stew it's wise to small batch brown your meats and onions in a hot fry pan .

If you don't have a decent small digital kitchen timer as Santa for one as the secret to success is timing .

We often make soups , blanch frying & browning a few veg as well as all manner of meats .
Then it's almost exactly the same as for using an open pot , maybe a little less liquid  and pressure cutting for  six or so minutes ( 10 -15  psi " at just above steam escaping pressure .

Let it cool naturally for a few minutes and flick the weight to see if it still has pressure under it  before removing the weight then opening the cooker up.

If your into fresh chicken simply slice off the breasts  for your main meal and do what ever you usually do  same with the legs . Put the rest of the carcass in the pot on three decent sized fine chopped  lightly browned onions , a couple of sliced unpeeled carrots & a couple of sticks of chopped celery , add about four pints of cold water and a teaspoon of salt to bring out the flavours as it cooks , pressure cook for 20 min.

Let it de-pressure naturally , when you can hold your hand on the side of the closed up pan you should be able to open it , pour the stock out through a sieve into a large container.   Pick & strip the flesh off the carcass /out the bottom of the plan , put it to one side having chopped about two dessert spoons of it very fine .

Now fry one stick of fine chopped celery , when it is soft cut one peeled carrot and make it into 1/4 inch cubes , fry these for 5 min , now  add & brown in the same pan one large fine chopped onion, giving some of it a golden tan .

Pour two of pints of the stock in ann open pan, add a level dessert spoon of butter ( yummy taste ) add the veg bring to the boil add the fine chopped meat & simmer for 15 min . Turn off the heat  use a whizzer with care and liquidize the contents for 10 or so seconds , add 1/2 pint of milk and bring back to a simmer. Thicken with Xanthum gum or similar mixed well in a little cold milk  , if needed use your whizzer to mix it in the soup  then simmer for another  few minutes for the gum /thickener to turn state .

A few min before serving add some fresh chopped parsley to the pan & stir in .
ad salt and pepper to taste then serve with the herb & salt  seasoned croutons you made whilst the soup was being cooked  or some of the pre baked but home finished  baguettes 7 some butter .

Sometimes I put a dessert spoonful of dried Italian herbs into the soup at teh first  pressure cooking.

I usually freeze the remaing stock intto pint bags and the once frozen 12 hrs or more (over night?)   vac pack &  heat seal it use a decent freezer proof permanant marker to name & date teh stock before bunging it in the deep freezer out in the garage for use at a later date .

Quite often if we don't use all the soup in one go we use it as the basis for the next days evening meal such as thin layered potatoes in a shallow open pyrex or earthenware dish with our soup poured over it , cover it in pierced film & microwave it to part cook the potatoes ,   then oven baked till some of the potatoes show golden brown .  This goes well with our home made pork , sage & thyme ..slightly spicy  sausages .

Other times when we have made a one crock meal we've used our chicken soup to pour over thin strips of smoked fish in an open dish and then oven bake it  if you want the thin sliced golden potatoes with this fish dish   You'll need to lightly butter kitchen roll dried thin sliced potatoes first , then microwave them to soften them up then build the fish & soup dish around them .

We like pressure cooked salted ham ( Seven  so pounds of salted leg with the one in it ) .  The stock that comes of it is great for making pea leek & potato soups etc.. Once the ham has been cooked to the required time and you are able to get it out , remove the skin slice off enough of the fat so there is about a 1/2" layer nn the joint . . lay the skin flat criss-cross the out side of the skin with a sharp knife , rub a bit of salt in the cuts .
Put the skin back on the joint , tie the skin to the joint with butchers string and oven roast for the new weight time this will give you a great crunchy crackling & a fantastic firm flesh .

Eat with lightly boiled & buttered  greens , roast  potatoes , herb & bread stuffing 7 some cranberry jelly & a thin light brown gravy .

Once you get a couple of dozen pressure cooking recipes under your belt you'll tend to start making up your own recipes ..so long as you write down each step with weighed out quantities & use known volumes of liquid..
That way when you get a , " Can we have some more please "  meal you'll know how to repeat it .

If you buy too big a lump of meat etc make up the dishes but don't thicken them , freeze them and then  thicken as needed once you have thawed and reboiled the food as most thickenings don't freeze very well .

I've just checked the model cooker you have .  Did you notice the recipes link in the blurb ..if not here it is ..some interesting recipes in there :-

http://www.fagoramerica.com/my_fagor/recipe_library/pressure_cooker
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down