Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  Toplef10the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  I22gcj10the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  Toplef10the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  I22gcj10the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group

+3
audrey.jeanne.roberts
boffer
has55
7 posters

Go down

the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  Empty the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group

Post  has55 12/11/2014, 3:34 pm

Do Tomatoes Grown in Rock Dust Taste Better? A Blind Taste Test
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  Empty Re: the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group

Post  has55 12/11/2014, 4:18 pm

this may explained why the taste is better even though the amount in the plant tissue was not significantly better/different between biochar's and the control plant's tissue samples.

Does Biochar Retain Nutrients in the Soil?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  Empty Re: the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group

Post  boffer 12/11/2014, 4:30 pm

has55 wrote:...   Does Biochar Retain Nutrients in the Soil?

In this vid, at 2:04-2:15, he mentions regulatory requirements for bagged soil products, I think.  At first, I thought he meant the worm castings, but then I thought he seemed to imply compost as well.

How do you hear it, and what are the 'regulatory requirements'?  I didn't know there was such a thing.

Am I missing something?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2014, 7:14 pm

I heard it too. I thought that it meant there was a % formula that gave a near consistent batch that duplicated itself bag to bag, so we are not sold snake oil. Truthfully, I always wonder how they made up our compost bag. that why I was ok with MM idea for mixing various types of compost because of this thought. but again it sound like someone step in to protect the consumer. I reviewed it several times to find out what was to be below detection. I couldn't figure it out. Did you?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/11/2014, 7:38 pm

Nope.  As far as anyone on the forum has been able to determine, there are no specs for content percentages.

I was talking with the owner of a large commercial worm farm a few months ago.  He was disparaging a compost wholesaler in the PNW.  They buy his castings, and  advertise on their bags that the compost product within  contains castings.  But they told him that they are careful to keep the castings content below 5% because they can't be price competitive otherwise.  Buyer beware.

I have to give credit where deserved.  Several years ago, Wal-Mart had two products called 'Chicken Manure' and 'Mushroom Compost'.  On the front of the bags, in letters big enough to read without my cheaters, it said, 'This product not to be used as fertilizer.  For soil amendment only.'

At least they were honest about it.  There was no telling what the fillers were or how much was used.  I haven't seen those products on the shelf since.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2014, 10:54 pm

wow, that's disturbing. I have to read what I purchased in more detail. Thank you for share that info.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/12/2014, 12:56 am

The taste test is so subjective, depends on the plant itself, sun, water, as well as the difference with the additives.  I'm now sure how so small of a sample will help much, but I found it very interesting anyway.  

I can taste the difference between two of the same tomato plants that are planted in very different sun/shade/soil conditions on my property.  It's amazing how much all the factors added together impact the fruit.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/12/2014, 1:41 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:The taste test is so subjective, depends on the plant itself, sun, water, as well as the difference with the additives.  I'm now sure how so small of a sample will help much, but I found it very interesting anyway.  

I can taste the difference between two of the same tomato plants that are planted in very different sun/shade/soil conditions on my property.  It's amazing how much all the factors added together impact the fruit.

Tremendous difference! Tomatoes taste different everywhere I plant them. I've had sungolds have that very wild taste in which the taste seems near toxic until you get used to it, and had them taste bland, and had them taste good, very good, and OMG!!! crazy superlative. It's amazing what a difference conditions make. Now when I read seed catalogues and even, I apologize, hear and read the attestations of my fellow gardeners and forumite gardeners, I take many complaints and enthusiasms about taste with a large grain of salt.

I used to think, Do they just have different tastes than me(in which case they are simply wrong and I may safely haul in Mr. T for however long it takes to pity the fool as long as I compensate his manager for the time spent away from his dish-washing machine) or are they wrong, until I realized it was the same thing. Now I realize that anyone who doesn't have as good soil as I have might still improve the taste of his crops by continuing to improve his soil, while anyone who has better soil than I do is a bastard.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/12/2014, 2:48 am

rofl
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/12/2014, 7:58 am

Marc wrote: .........while anyone who has better soil than I do is a bastard.

Marc
You made me  rofl  way before I had my morning coffee!
 What a Face  and the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  3170584802  to you

Last edited by camprn on 12/12/2014, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected quote box)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/12/2014, 11:45 am

llama momma wrote:
Marc wrote: .........while anyone who has better soil than I do is a bastard.

Marc
You made me  rofl  way before I had my morning coffee!
 What a Face  and the tomatoes taste test-mmm-rock dust, biochar, control group  3170584802  to you
Me too!!!!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/12/2014, 2:35 pm

Me, three!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/13/2014, 12:44 am

rofl you out did yourself.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 8/1/2016, 6:40 pm

The result from the 2015 trial test.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/2/2016, 1:51 pm

Very interesting.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down