Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets Toplef10The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets I22gcj10The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets Toplef10The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets I22gcj10The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets

5 posters

Go down

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets Empty The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets

Post  Kelejan 10/12/2014, 1:24 pm

With the California three-year drought we are being warned of the rising cost of produce. I support our local farmers' market and often buy what I do not have enough of.
Yesterday i bought a small bunch of chard. Previously paid $2 per bunch, this time it was $3.50.  I took it home and weighed it: less than 4oz.
If you do not grow your own, how are poor people going to manage?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets Empty Re: The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets

Post  sanderson 10/12/2014, 1:47 pm

Kelejan, Oh, do I thank you for mentioning the far reaching effect of the California 3-year drought! thanks

And, thank you for your Canadian garlic here in CA. Garlic can no longer be commercially grown in Gilroy, CA, due to a disease that renders the soil unsuitable for garlic for many years. At least the processing plants can continue to make garlic products = a few jobs saved.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets Empty Re: The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets

Post  llama momma 10/12/2014, 2:02 pm

It's probably cheaper and can be more filling to purchase chemically laden fake food loaded with more chemicals, preservatives, sugar, salt, and fats.   Cheap, little preparation, fills the belly with junk. 

Speaking of junk, if you purchase powdered cheese that you shake out from the top of those round containers, take a look at the ingredients.  It may very well include the word cellulose which is code for ground up wood.  I have yet to see any articles claim differently. 
The producers of this junk should be forced to label it as Grated cheese with bark chips.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/12/2014, 2:03 pm

Good Lord! I would absolutely try to bargain down that price or go to market during the last hour to attempt to get a discount. I cannot imagine charging folks $14/lb for chard. Evil or Very Mad

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

The cost of buying at Farmers' Markets WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/12/2014, 2:51 pm

camprn wrote:Good Lord! I would absolutely try to bargain down that price or go to market during the last hour to attempt to get a discount. I cannot imagine charging folks $14/lb for chard. Evil or Very Mad

The trouble is, camprn, I am a wimp. Also the person minding the stall was only a friend helping out. I will ask the owner next week, if the outdoor market is still going.
I have lots of kale growing great, but I cannot like the stuff. Have to use it in soups.
I had the chard steamed for breakfast, cost $3.50 plus two large organic eggs at 33c each. Total $4.16 compared to our local Sunday indoor market that supplies breakfast consisting of two eggs, two skinny sausages and hash browns with coffee and two rounds of toast for $6.50. Nothing organic in sight.
I know the market has costs that have to be paid, (I have been in  business myself) but I can still go and socialize for the price of the coffee.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/12/2014, 5:43 pm

Poor people have never managed, except when growing their own food, which isn't a possibility for most city dwellers ... which are most people in America. It's sad, but business as usual. Poor people simply don't get the chance to eat as well.

It's all too common for poor people to live in "food deserts" with few supermarkets but plenty of liquor stores. Even franchise supermarkets show a marked degradation in the quality of produce they sell in poorer vs. richer neighborhoods. Some of it can be absolutely disgusting.

Gas prices have helped make food prices skyrocket, too. Unfortunately, even when gas prices drop, once a food gets sold at a certain price for a while, it tends not to drop in price later on. People get used to paying that much and stores and others in the supply chain pocket the difference.

What also bothers me is that the containers for many foods have shrunk while their prices remained level. At our local supermarkets, the new smaller sizes tend to be marked as "on sale" from their full price ... and that full price is the same one as the larger container used to carry. Then the sale is phased out and you're left paying the same price for a smaller container.

Unfortunately, though our farmers market takes food stamp credits, it still remains largely a place for yuppies and those otherwise doing quite well for themselves to shop. Prices are way too high on most items. You can be paying the same for a leafy green as you would for many of the pricier meats. And even a big batch of those cooks down to a small serving or two. The ability to shop at the farmers market in many cities and towns, not just ours, remains mostly a theoretical benefit to a community's nutrition. They serve more as places to have a pleasant stroll and go window-shopping to see what all the people with real money eat. I see a lot more people leaving the farmers market empty-handed than carrying a bag.

Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/12/2014, 6:02 pm

I haven't experienced the high prices you guys see at your Farmers' Markets. Maybe it is because this is an ag area and around Fresno are the smaller farmers with 10-20 acres. Truck crops? Is that the word for small fruit and vegetable growers? The Hmongs have really found a niche at our FM.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/12/2014, 6:19 pm

If the Hmongs are like the Vietnamese (and Hmongs do live in Vietnam), they probably share the same tradition of keeping produce inexpensive. The Vietnamese markets in the Bolsa district in Orange County, where I used to live, were the place to go to get really fresh produce at excellent prices. Go to a Safeway a mile away and prepare to pay double the price for less fresh goods.

We have an Asian vendor or two at our farmers market, but they don't have enough competition that they're inspired to keep their food inexpensive.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down