Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A Garden that Thrives on Neglect Toplef10A Garden that Thrives on Neglect 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A Garden that Thrives on Neglect I22gcj10A Garden that Thrives on Neglect 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A Garden that Thrives on Neglect Toplef10A Garden that Thrives on Neglect 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A Garden that Thrives on Neglect I22gcj10A Garden that Thrives on Neglect 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A Garden that Thrives on Neglect

5 posters

Go down

A Garden that Thrives on Neglect Empty A Garden that Thrives on Neglect

Post  dk54321 9/7/2014, 5:15 pm

I'm already considering next year's garden. I moved to a new house the first of the year. I was eager to make a new garden. I made ambitious plans. What I didn't consider was the number of years it took to get my old garden as large and productive as it was last year. I planned to start with an even bigger garden.

I got the beds laid out, and began filling them with Mel's mix, and quickly realized the garden I had planned was much too large for me to establish in one season. I planted only part of what I'd originally planned, but still didn't manage to keep up with it. 

I planted sugar snap peas, which are incredibly easy to grow, but I planted far more than my family would eat. I gave a lot away, but had a hard time keeping up with the harvest. I never got around to cutting down the vines when they stopped producing. 

We have a short season for tomatoes here, so I planted 4th of July tomatoes, which have always done well for me. They've been productive, with plentiful, larger, and more flavorful fruit than usual. I was busy, so I put off setting up vertical frames for them. Then I lost my job, and just didn't care for a while. By then, they had escaped into the lawn, and I couldn't lift the vines without breaking them. My son has been carefully mowing around them, but because they are on the ground, we have lost a lot of fruit to animals and rot. 

I put a peppermint plant in a 5 gallon bucket by the kitchen door. It has filled the bucket, and grown 18" tall. All it needs is occasional watering in hot weather.

I never got around to planting the baby carrots, radishes, or anything else I had planned. I'm still hoping to plant garlic by the end of September for bulbs next year. I'm hopeful I'll have more time for gardening next year, but there will be times I get busy, and just let my garden go. 

I live in Wisconsin. Northern gardeners, what herbs and vegetables have you grown that seem to thrive on neglect?
dk54321
dk54321

Back to top Go down

A Garden that Thrives on Neglect Empty Re: A Garden that Thrives on Neglect

Post  plantoid 9/7/2014, 5:49 pm

This year ..... just about all my ANSFG beds Laughing

My lass convinced me to drag the car and caravan round main land Europe for a month plus a couple of other short haul trip in national holiday times..

I'd set up auto watering it filed in the glass house with one spray head coming off and being left like that by the house sitters .
 They were both veggies and ate a plenty out the beds  but didn't do any weeding or trimming the excess or tying up of tomatoes .

It's nearly 14 days since we came back , I'm still struggling to make headway as I've also had to do several other vital things. Happen it will ease off a tad towards the end of this week.
For I have to clear several beds of everything and prep them for long term /permanent crops such as asparagus , rhubarb & a herb bed of perennial herbs .
I'm also dedicating an extra large bed for a permanant onion & garlic bed .. it should last for at least 100 years  Laughing & gets plent of sun from March to November .
 The tomatoes in the glasshouse & gardens took two days of care and staking up just to get them untangled & vertical still with some fruits on the stems .

Besides a massive cabbage white butterfly & caterpillar attack that left almost all  the brassicas looking like light green net curtains we have had some decent sized marrows  , broad beans, kohl rabi , asparagus pea, onions , peas and salad crops .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/8/2014, 3:09 am

Plantoid, I'm glad you had quite a few successes even after your long holiday. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 9/8/2014, 9:02 pm

Down here if neglected the garden goes to weed real fast. Kind of funny the Seminole Pumpkin has come back to life a smothered everything in its path. Just getting the rest of the garden planted and having to cut this beast back.
 Plantoid, caravanning here is RV camping. We recently sold our pop-up for a Jayco Featherweight. The weather should break in mid October & looking forward to taking the Jayco out real soon. Just too hot & rainy to go this time of year for us.
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2014, 12:02 am

We just sold our Jay Flight 22 FB.  I'm back to motels. Very Happy

PS If we could have home parked it, we wouldn't have sold it. The rental fees weren't worth the number of times we took it to the coast.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/10/2014, 12:52 am

The upkeep on them can be so expensive(and the gas ain't cheap) that you might be better off with the motels, money-wise anyway. My folks went through a lot of money saving all the money an RV saved them.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2014, 2:13 am

Marc Iverson wrote:  My folks went through a lot of money saving all the money an RV saved them.
I totally understand.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 9/10/2014, 7:37 pm

We are able to keep ours at the house, no HOA here. Yes hotels are cheaper but camping in the state parks, under the stars with the smell & glow of a campfire, cooking outdoors with my dutch oven make up for all the extra costs. I really enjoy tent camping but DW is now allergic to fire ant stings, they put her in the hospital twice now. So off the ground we went to a pop up & now lightweight travel trailer.
 I'm a life long camper...
TCgardening
TCgardening

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/11/2014, 6:24 pm

I have a special deep memory foam mattress set up in the caravan it's like home from home and always there .
Fuel costs still work out far cheaper than hotel bills for three plus we know what's gone into our in the caravan cooked food .

We would never ever buy a brand new caravan they are not worth THAT much money . Laughing

The three we have has since 1988 were all over four years old but in pristine condition ..... no smokers, dogs or kids in any of them .

Usually we waited till what we wanted came along and drove the salesmen stupid by going to some places every Sunday for several months , but not buying . .

"  Mavro " was 15 years old when we got it in 1988  , " Multi " was 18 yrs old  when we got it in 2005 , Bubbles the  last one we got a year ago , a  5 berth Bailey Ranger 500 has just turned 5 years old .

No more :-  bed bugs , fleas , dog , cat  hairs  etc ., rooms that stink of smokers , sweaty people & cheap perfume etc   , leaky plumbing , wet carpets and beds that slope from the middle like a ski slope to the outer edge and no drunks next door banging doors ,shouting or snoring themselves silly , I've  had far too much of that style of trailer camping to last me till I'm 200 yrs old .

One thing we got whilst on holiday was a curry plant , It's  now out in the herb garden, seems to be growing  , do they thrive on neglect ?
 What sort of cold temperatures kill them ?  I took a peek on the internet but it seemed to be survivable in way too cold ( minus 10 oC )  for a plant that comes from the warmer parts of Spain.   Anyone able to help out on that one ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 9/12/2014, 8:47 pm

Sorry I can't help with the curry plant. My old neighbor was from England & couldn't live with out the  curry spice.
Seems we have the same love of Caravan camping and the value of a used camper! Our camping season is just beginning.
 Craig
TCgardening
TCgardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down