Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 Toplef10The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 I22gcj10The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 Toplef10The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 I22gcj10The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

+21
AtlantaMarie
Razed Bed
princezoe
Windmere
mschaef
has55
jonyosh
Turan
slimbolen99
April
CapeCoddess
grownsunshine
jimmy cee
camprn
GWN
llama momma
yolos
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
plantoid
sanderson
25 posters

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 Empty Re: Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

Post  sanderson 10/22/2014, 1:04 pm

GS, The temp will be lower for a few hours after turning. Then, it will heat up again, as long as there is material that is still composting.

I'm excited that you and Audrey are using the Berkeley method. I think I was the only active member using it. Are you keeping a log?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 Empty Compost Log

Post  grownsunshine 10/22/2014, 4:41 pm

Yep, keeping a log. Just bought a composting thermometer on Amazon.  Now logging my temps will be easier and more accurate.Very Happy  I'm starting to love the Berkeley method. I love the smell of hot steamy poo...that's what I tell my wife...lol! But really the steam has such a nice earthy smell that gets me so excited about my next crop.

I would do Back to Eden if I had a large property, but since I live in the burbs Berkeley is perfect for me.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 Empty Re: Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method

Post  sanderson 10/22/2014, 8:28 pm

grownsunshine wrote:Yep, keeping a log. Just bought a composting thermometer on Amazon.   since I live in the burbs Berkeley is perfect for me.
 The thermometer can double as a mix thermometer to see when the beds are warm enough for direct sowing in the spring.  Berkeley is perfect for burbites.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/22/2014, 10:02 pm

GS ,
Have I understood this right ?    You are forever adding new stuff to your heap ?

If so at some point you have to stop adding things to the heap and then turn it over several time over the 18 day period only adding a spray or three of water it over to get the final quality compostresult.

If you keep adding heat producing materials thinking the high temp is good for weeks & weeks your wasting a lot of time & energy and it will never be a true finished compost.

Re :-
Your thermometer ....... A simple very very cheap digital one with a probe/sensing head on a yard of sensing cable is ideal , Simply  slip the sensing head / probe down a yard long copper tube pushed deep in the pile.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/22/2014, 11:21 pm

I'm probably on my 6th or 7th Berkeley Method pile, been doing it a couple years now. I used to be so uptight about getting it just right. What I've learned over time is if you didn't get the mix right, just keep adding whatever you were short of and start it over again.

Once you're getting over 130-140 finish out that pile, it will be good enough. Not every pile gets all the way up to 160.

If you can't turn on a specific day, it will keep. All that will happen is it will take a little longer. If your pile is interrupted by life events, it will shift into regular compost mode and continue to take care of itself. This happened to me this spring when I had an unexpected medical emergency trip for my step-father's quadruple bypass. When I got home, it had continued to break down quite a bit but had gone cold. I just sifted the pile to get what was finished and put the big pieces back in to start a new one.

I've become a very relaxed composter Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/23/2014, 3:28 am

way to go  I guess I didn't realize you have been doing it all along. Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/23/2014, 8:18 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
My sentiments exactly
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/23/2014, 10:03 am

jimmy cee wrote:
My sentiments exactly
+1  sawing logs

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 10/23/2014, 12:31 pm

plantoid - nope, I only added additional greens and equal amounts of additional browns on the 2nd day to try to make the 5 different greens . Since then I haven't added anything else, except maybe more moisture and some fish emulsion. I already bought a 20" thermometer. We'll see how that works after it arrives and I'll make modifications if needed (using your idea).

You guys are a crack up!! I know I'm a bit excited right now  silly me . Maybe after a couple of piles and after I figure out what I'm doing, I'll add myself as another relaxed composting cucumber like you guys...a +1 Cool ... 
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/23/2014, 1:51 pm

grownsunshine wrote: the 5 different greens.

??  I'm confused.  I don't think most folks have 5 sources of greens for the composting process.  I know I don't.  Some browns (dried leaves or grass, hay or straw, clean sawdust), some coffee grounds, some manure, maybe green grass, and various chopped up produce.  Those near the oceans may have seaweed or lobster shells to add but the rest of us have to make due.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 10/23/2014, 2:46 pm

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. The compost I have has 5 different sources of greens (=nitrogen)? I think I only have 4 (horse manure, cow manure, chicken manure & coffee grounds), plus supplements of fish emulsion and a few veggie waste items to equal 5 (sort of). I only have 1 source of browns (carbon) which is brown grass. I used equal amounts of greens and browns measured using 5 gallon buckets.

I think my lingo (greens vs browns) was taken from different site I was reading, which didn't translate very well.  Embarassed
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/23/2014, 2:54 pm

sanderson wrote:way to go  I guess I didn't realize you have been doing it all along. Embarassed
No biggie, LOL!!! Just love having company on the journey The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 3170584802
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 10/24/2014, 12:14 pm

sanderson wrote:way to go  I guess I didn't realize you have been doing it all along. Embarassed
No biggie, LOL!!!  Just love having company on the journey The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 3170584802
I love sharing the journey too!  The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 3170584802 Back to you.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/24/2014, 1:39 pm

Coffee and a compost check is a great routine Laughing  145 degrees this morning after turning yesterday afternoon.  I have this persistent bull frog that is loving my pile.  I've almost speared him the last two times I've turned it.  I hope he gets a little smarter about it over time!

This is my very first stinky pile - probably a little heavy on the manure.  Parts have a really nice earthy smell but when I get to the bottom it's not composting as well and is pretty strong smelling.  I may have to turn this one a little longer than usual.  It's getting better each turn though.

No.  Two.  Piles.  Are.  Alike.

EVER!

LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/24/2014, 4:52 pm

Wink AJR last but third line ...... Sounds like haemorrhoids.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/24/2014, 5:17 pm

funny post  rofl
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 10/24/2014, 6:17 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Coffee and a compost check is a great routine Laughing  145 degrees this morning after turning yesterday afternoon.  I have this persistent bull frog that is loving my pile.  I've almost speared him the last two times I've turned it.  I hope he gets a little smarter about it over time!

This is my very first stinky pile - probably a little heavy on the manure.  Parts have a really nice earthy smell but when I get to the bottom it's not composting as well and is pretty strong smelling.  I may have to turn this one a little longer than usual.  It's getting better each turn though.

No.  Two.  Piles.  Are.  Alike.

EVER!

LOL!
Beautiful way to welcome the day...to take a moment, stop and smell the...compost. 145 - nice!! ...and you've found another Berkeley sojourner to join us. Ya! The more, the merrier!! I hope he stays safe too, so he can welcome you each day you visit him and enjoy some of the tasty compost morsels crawling around the pile while you enjoy your coffee.

I'm sure that when you turn your pile, the bottom stuff will air out and become beautiful like the rest of your pile, plus you'll get a full body workout in the process. My stuff is on the drier side, so I water it about every other time I turn it. 

No.  Two.  Piles.  Are.  Alike. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. I'm sure I'll be posting for help again  Wink

PS - my 20" compost thermometer arrived today. Yahoo! 

Other than logging the days you turn the compost and the temperature, is there anything else you log?
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 10/24/2014, 6:46 pm

Plantoid - I'm crackin up!!  darn funny
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/24/2014, 7:51 pm

grownsunshine wrote:
PS - my 20" compost thermometer arrived today. Yahoo!

Other than logging the days you turn the compost and the temperature, is there anything else you log?

Yeah on the thermometer arriving! At the top of the page, I list the ingredients I was able to find.  I also note if and when I have to water, and how much the pile has shrunk every few days.[/quote]

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/24/2014, 10:03 pm

Sanderson is the "detail oriented" gardener.  Me... not so much, LOL!  I'm an artist by profession so that will give you a hint as to my organizational skills.

I throw stuff together.  It looks right.  I call it a pile.

I check the temps to see if things seem to be progressing and if they are I start the process.  If they aren't I adjust the mix and watch temps again.

I rarely write days down (and if I did I'd probably lose it).  I try to fix in my mind the date it "should" be finished (last one was my birthday, next one election day) but if I turn it a few times too many, no biggy!  You can tell when it's getting ready.  It starts to cool down and it's brown, crumbly and smells good.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/25/2014, 12:07 pm

153 degrees this morning, I'll turn it this evening.  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/25/2014, 12:30 pm

The Berkeley 18 - Compost: Berkeley 18 day [hot] method  - Page 4 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 10/25/2014, 12:51 pm

153!!! Nice!!! You are definitely a Hottie! Your throwing the pile together method is really working well.

Note to self: log watering days. I think my pile is too dry...not wet like a wrung towel. I'll water a bit more than before when I turn it tomorrow. Hopefully that will promote more microbial/bacterial growth and increase the heat of the pile a bit...we'll see. Logging and getting a sense of the right texture should help me for the next pile. Thanks for the input.

Organizationally, I guess I'm between both of you guys but on the less organized side = unorganized for someone with an accounting background... Embarassed ...LOL!!
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/25/2014, 3:25 pm

Because my fresh manure source is sun baked and bone dry, I start my pile by deep soaking the manure.  Every wheel barrow load gets soaked for about an hour before tossing it in to create the pile.  That helps a lot.

Then I water about every 3rd time I turn the pile.  It always drops the temp for a while when watering so don't panic :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  April 10/25/2014, 10:11 pm

After reading all your inspiring posts I decided to start a Berkley pile 13 days ago.  This is my first time really putting any effort into composting and I think it's going pretty well.  I'm a little confused on the temps though.  Is the pile suppose to be kept hot the whole 18 days (130 to 150)?  Thanks for clearing this up for me!
April
April

Female Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next