Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? Toplef10Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? I22gcj10Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? Toplef10Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? I22gcj10Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat?

3 posters

Go down

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? Empty Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat?

Post  TGCooper 8/14/2014, 3:03 pm

Returning to gardening after a many year hiatus and in the process of getting started with SFG.  Built the first of 4 planned 2x4 boxes for my balcony last weekend.  Lots of calls and a few miles of driving, I think I have located all the components for my own Mel's Mix.  What I found in my search was although the composts at the Big Box stores were invariably cheaper, when I found open bags they did not seem as good as what I found at feed/garden stores.  So my question is on the peat, probably the easiest item to find.  It is available everywhere, and at widely varying prices.  I certainly dont want to cut corners if it is going to make a difference.  So, anyone with any bad experience with peat from the big big stores?  Please name the brand if you can, as I find some have several brands.
TGCooper
TGCooper

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? Empty Re: Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat?

Post  Marc Iverson 8/14/2014, 3:08 pm

I don't know if you'll find bad experiences so much as no particularly good experiences to compare them to. All the peat I've seen for years is very fine powder. Many insist that's nowhere near as good for water retention as the peat that is still more chunky and hasn't been broken down so much. But I've never even seen that stuff anywhere in real life, only online.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? Empty Re: Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat?

Post  camprn 8/14/2014, 3:42 pm

There are different grades of sphagnum moss. P grade is fine and pretty consistent for our garden mix.
http://www.berger.ca/products/peat-moss

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Peat Question - Is quality variable (enough to matter) or is peat basically peat? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down