Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Toplef10Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? I22gcj10Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Toplef10Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? I22gcj10Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?

+17
yolos
boffer
walshevak
donnainzone5
disccopy
Pollinator
llama momma
CapeCoddess
southern gardener
AtlantaMarie
camprn
Marc Iverson
sanderson
slimbolen99
landarch
herblover
Windmere
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Empty Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?

Post  Windmere 8/11/2014, 12:48 pm

I want to cultivate a nice set of flowers for pollinators.  I've read a bit and I have two in mind:  Milkweed (Asclepias Tuberosa) and Monarda (I'm eying a Panorama Mix).

I already have one milkweed bush in my backyard, but I would love to have lots more. We had a nice amount of Monarchs this season and I had no idea that our bush might have had something to do with it.  I understand there is also a Swamp Milkweed, but it seems (from reading gardner experiences) that the butterflies prefer the Tuberosa kind.

So, what do you like to cultivate?  I am reading about mixed schools of thought regarding when and how to plant seeds.  Some sources say that fall is a good time for planting.

I am getting ready to do my seed ordering.  Please let me know your thoughts.   Very Happy 

(And you Middle Southerners, don't be shy!)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Empty Re: Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?

Post  herblover 8/11/2014, 2:27 pm

Coneflowers, perennial salvia, obedient plant are all good for bees; if you want to grow herbs, try oregano and basil.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Empty Re: Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?

Post  landarch 8/11/2014, 2:32 pm

I live in Kansas and we have around 6-7 native varieties of milkweed...some are easy to collect and start from seed and some are more tricky.  I grow Swamp, Purple, Common, and Butterfly...and I have an eye on some additional types if I can get seed collected this fall.

We can also grow Scarlet or Tropical Milkweed from seed...it's an annual here as it dies back with our winters.  If you can get one seed pod to form you will have enough seed to collect that you would never have to buy seed again.

I had good luck starting seeds indoors in early spring just like tomatoes and peppers and planting around the same time.  I'll try to post some pics this evening.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/11/2014, 2:36 pm

Here's a pic of our Swamp or Marsh Milkweed.  In addition to milkweeds, we use coreopsis, purple coneflower, Walkers Low Catmint, Liatris, bee balm and dill (we see many tiger swallowtail caterpillars on our dill and carrot plants).  We get lots of bumble and a few honey bees...large butterflies have been disappointing for the last few years...can't remember a seeing a single monarch.

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 10465410
Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 10465410
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 8/11/2014, 4:04 pm

Here are some of my favorite butterfly attractant nectar plants:
BLACK EYE SUSAN - Rudbeckia hirta
MILKWEED 1 (Asclepias tuberosa)
MILKWEED 2 (Asclepias incarnata)
MILKWEED 3 (Asclepias curassavica)
MILKWEED 4 (Asclepias amplexicaulis)
COLUMBINE ROCKY MOUNTAIN BLUE - Aquilegia caerulea
PLAINS COREOPSIS - Coreopsis tinctoria 
"TICKSEED COREOPSIS -Bidens aristosa"
BIGLFOWER COREOPSIS - Coreopsis grandiflora
COSMOS "Sunny Red"
COSMOS BRIGHT LIGHTS - Cosmos sulphureus
DIANTHUS - Dianthus "Diabunda Crimson"
ECHINACEA - White Swan
PANSY - MIXED
SUNFLOWER - MAMMOTH GREY
ECHINACEA - Purple
ECHINACEA - OZARK YELLOW
SENSITIVE PLANT - Mimosa pudica
BLUE SALVIA - Salvia farinacea
EARL BONFIRE - Salvia splendens
SEDUM "Weihenstephaner Gold"
SEDUM "Stonecrop 'Angelina'"
VERBENA BRAZILIAN VERVAIN - Verbena bonariensis
ECHINACEA - YELLOW PRAIRIE CONE FLOWER
YARROW - Yellow
YARROW - Achillea "Strawberry Seduction"
ZINNA - RED
ZINNIA - RED / PURPLE
ZINNIA - ORANGE
ZINNIA - LIGHT PURPLE
ZINNIA - DARK PURPLE
ZINNA - PINK
BUTTERFLY BUSH
PHLOX - Purple
PHLOX - Pink

Last edited by slimbolen99 on 8/11/2014, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 8/11/2014, 4:05 pm

And of course, you'll want caterpillar host plants as well.

ANTIRRHINUM MAJUS Snapdragon - Tall Blend
ASTER SP.
BAPTISIA AUSTRALIS Blue Wild Indigo
CHAMAECRISTA FASCICULATA Partridge Pea
ZIZIA AUREA Golden Alexander
SNAPDRAGON MAGIC CARPET BLEND - Antirrhinum majus
VIOLA - JOHNNY JUMP UP
MILKWEED 1 (Asclepias tuberosa)
MILKWEED 2 (Asclepias incarnata)
MILKWEED 3 (Asclepias curassavica)
MILKWEED 4 (Asclepias amplexicaulis)
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/11/2014, 4:17 pm

I have a giant pink zinnia that has enticed the local California little yellow butterfly back into my yard. It's been years since I have seen one.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Empty Thanks

Post  Windmere 8/11/2014, 9:03 pm

Thanks everyone for such fantastic suggestions!  Slimbolen, you posted some nice long lists!  Thank you for taking the time to do that for us.

Landarch, it was you who got me going on this because I saw that post you made regarding milkweed.  What's in my back yard is either Tuberosa milkweed or Tropical (Scarlett) milkweed.  I have some buds that will hopefully open in a day or two... and then I'll know for sure.   What ever it is, I want to plant more.

Folks, are there any varieties that you specifically plant in the fall?
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/11/2014, 9:18 pm

I just planted buckwheat. The packet says it's great for feeding pollinators in the fall, when many other popular flowers have slowed or stopped production. It forms a dense cover that blots out the sun for fall weeds, is ready to plow under as a cover crop in as little as 30 days, and is reliably winter-killed.

Supposedly takes little watering or other care once planted. I covered the bed with straw very lightly after seeding, and in most areas the little guys are already poking their leaves out of the straw less than a week later.

I'm finding bees of every size really loved my cascading lobelia this year, and they're still producing flowers, though they're starting to look a bit weedy and exhausted by now. Still getting bees, though, of every size even though they're a tiny, tiny flower. I planted a lot more, and hope they can help feed the bees until frost.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/11/2014, 10:05 pm

This is some of what I have in my gardens: everyone loves thyme, russian and cullinary sage, alliums of all kinds including leeks, garlic chives, ornamental allium, chives and borage. I also have Foam flower, Veronica, crocus, rudbeckia, pulmonaria, gaillardia, asters, echinacia white and pink, bee balm of various colors, evening primrose, mints, sedums, epimedium, calendula, zinnia, sunflowers, portulaca, comfrey, butterfly weed, joe pye weed etc. The lawn has been allowed free range for dandelions, ajuga and white clover. There are also various spring and summer flowering shrubs and trees.
Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 10403466_10203379617065987_3936935750331217809_n

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/12/2014, 8:35 am

camprn wrote:This is some of what I have in my gardens: everyone loves thyme, russian and cullinary sage, alliums of all kinds including leeks, garlic chives, ornamental allium, chives and borage. I also have Foam flower, Veronica, crocus, rudbeckia, pulmonaria, gaillardia, asters, echinacia white and pink, bee balm of various colors, evening primrose, mints, sedums, epimedium, calendula, zinnia, sunflowers, portulaca, comfrey, butterfly weed, joe pye weed etc. The lawn has been allowed free range for dandelions, ajuga and white clover. There are also various spring and summer flowering shrubs and trees.
Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? 10403466_10203379617065987_3936935750331217809_n
Paradise... Are the red ones Indian Blanket?
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 8/12/2014, 8:48 am

Windmere wrote:Thanks everyone for such fantastic suggestions!  Slimbolen, you posted some nice long lists!  Thank you for taking the time to do that for us.

Landarch, it was you who got me going on this because I saw that post you made regarding milkweed.  What's in my back yard is either Tuberosa milkweed or Tropical (Scarlett) milkweed.  I have some buds that will hopefully open in a day or two... and then I'll know for sure.   What ever it is, I want to plant more.

Folks, are there any varieties that you specifically plant in the fall?

I would say my personal favorites, for ease of cultivation, have to be zinnias.  They are easy to save seed from, are very prolific, and are visited by a variety of butterflies and bees. They also come in a variety of colors -- reds, oranges, pinks, purples, etc. All of mine came from a single package of mixed seed, which I saved the seed from the plants that came from that packet, and organized by color.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/12/2014, 9:36 am

Windmere wrote:
camprn wrote:This is some of what I have in my gardens: everyone loves thyme, russian and cullinary sage, alliums of all kinds including leeks, garlic chives, ornamental allium, chives and borage. I also have Foam flower, Veronica, crocus, rudbeckia, pulmonaria, gaillardia, asters, echinacia white and pink, bee balm of various colors, evening primrose, mints, sedums, epimedium, calendula, zinnia, sunflowers, portulaca, comfrey, butterfly weed, joe pye weed etc. The lawn has been allowed free range for dandelions, ajuga and white clover. There are also various spring and summer flowering shrubs and trees.
Paradise... Are the red ones Indian Blanket?
Blanket flower, gaillardia.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2014, 11:09 am

I forgot to post the photo yesterday. One huge zinnia plant:
Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Flower11
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/12/2014, 1:45 pm

I love zinnias. They are such happy flowers.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2014, 3:20 pm

rahrah  Yes, they are!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Empty These just showed up by themselves - Are they a weed or a wild flower - Also, one of my marigolds

Post  Windmere 8/12/2014, 3:49 pm

I guess weeds are in the eye of the beholder.  A couple weeks ago a strange plant started growing... it looked too odd to be a weed (but I'm not sure):

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Butter10

I think that's poison oak on the left.  Anyway, does anyone know what this plant is?  I can't find anything like it using a search engine.  Perhaps it's weed after all, but I like it.  I have another one like it coming up in the vicinity of this one.  My instincts are that this might be a good plant for pollinators.

Mel's Mix has always been good stuff for my marigolds.  Last year my marigolds went crazy with vigorous growth and flower explosions.

This year, the same is true.  On the plant below, I excavated my horrible red clay and replaced it with a nice, rich mixture of MM.  Here is the result:

Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate? Butter11

I have some chives growing around this marigold (I use chives in lots of my cooking).  We have seen a ton of butterflies and bumble bees due to this combo of flower and herb.  I see from this photo that I need to do some dead heading.

Anyway, I thought this post went well with this thread.  Let me know your thoughts on my mystery flower if you like.

P.S.  Camprn, blanket flowers are now on my seed wish list.  I think they are so striking!

Last edited by Windmere on 8/12/2014, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/13/2014, 7:30 am

Windmere, the vine may be Virginia Creeper.  I've got it growing on my fence & it's VERY invasive!  But I'm not having any kind of reaction to it...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/13/2014, 7:39 am

+1 Virginia creeper. Can you get a closer view of the blue bloom?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/13/2014, 7:46 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Windmere, the vine may be Virginia Creeper.  I've got it growing on my fence & it's VERY invasive!  But I'm not having any kind of reaction to it...
Yep, it is very invasive.  The root system of it goes on forever and they are horribly tenacious.  We never had poison weeds in California.  One of our close friends suffered through a very bad episode after he had cleaned his backyard.  It happened shortly after we settled here.  Since then, we've been terrified of it.  I handle these plants like hazmat.

Do you have any tips regarding how you handle poison weeds?
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/13/2014, 8:06 am

camprn wrote:+1 Virginia creeper.  Can you get a closer view of the blue bloom?
Will do...  flowers are closed right now.

Just as a side note:  We bought our house from a sweet older coulple.  The wife was an avid flower gardner.  I keep discovering surprises she planted.  Milkweed, mistflower... she even planted a patch of pyrethrin mums.  I've been planting cuttings in strategic places.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/13/2014, 8:34 am

Milkweed is good for monarch butterflies.

Poisonous stuff - gloves, long sleeves/pants, paper towels, good trash bags!  Maybe a mask, depending on your sensitivity.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/13/2014, 10:20 am

Windmere, "pyrethrin mums" Is this a specific mum/chrysanthemum? Or just the fact that they contain pyrethin?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/13/2014, 11:09 am

Sanderson, I am referring to a specific type of chrysanthemum that contains a high concentration of pyrethrum.  It has a white flower reminiscent of a simple white daisy.  I have seen some websites with images of this specific variety in colors other than white.  I actually misspoke when I used the term for pyrethrin to describe the actual chrysanthemum.  As I understand it, pyrethrin is the distilled insecticide derived from the chrysanthemum.  Pyrethrum typically refers to the variety just mentioned.  I think that Pyrethrum can also refer to the non-distilled substance found in these flowers.  I found a great deal of helpful facts at the website below.

http://pyrethrum.com/FAQs.aspx

Folks, if I got some of these facts wrong, please do not hesitate to chime in.

Also, please see this link to Park Seeds for an offering of seeds for a more colorful option for this flower:

http://parkseed.com/robinsons-mix-pyrethrum-daisy-seeds/p/01754-PK-P1/

One more thing, if growing from seed, these will flower the second year.  Also, seeds may be planted in fall/summer when there are at least two more months before first frost.

Last edited by Windmere on 8/13/2014, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : kept adding information.)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/13/2014, 11:29 am

For bees, we planted Borage. SUPER easy to grow and a beautiful plant too loaded with flowers (and bees). They have done their cycle and have reseeded, there are lots of babies now growing ! We did the "chop and drop" method of mulching, and the little Borage plants seem to love it!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next