Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help with mulch Toplef10help with mulch 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help with mulch I22gcj10help with mulch 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help with mulch Toplef10help with mulch 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help with mulch I22gcj10help with mulch 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

help with mulch

+2
AtlantaMarie
greenehousemike
6 posters

Go down

help with mulch Empty help with mulch

Post  greenehousemike 8/9/2014, 3:17 pm

Hello Everyone
    I have a question about mulch. I have been using my raised gardens for a few years but I have not used any mulch. Of course I have to water a lot living here in Alabama. So I read post that refers to mulch. My questions are What do you use and do you just mix it in after the season is over. Thank you for your help.
greenehousemike
greenehousemike

Back to top Go down

help with mulch Empty Re: help with mulch

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/9/2014, 4:27 pm

Hi Mike.  I live just north of Atlanta, so same general temp region.

We use cypress mulch we get at the big box store.  I add at least 2 inches to the boxes.

No, I don't mix it in.  Cypress breaks down really slowly...  So I remove it, do whatever I'm doing to the box, then put it back on top.

I have also used grass clippings on top of my corn box and around my bee balm.  Seemed to work pretty well.  Again, lots of volume since it compresses so much.

I use pine straw on the potatoes since they like the acid.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greenehousemike 8/9/2014, 8:29 pm

Thank you Marie. My gardens do good but I know I can do more with them. Thanks again for your help and I will try it.
greenehousemike
greenehousemike

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/9/2014, 8:37 pm

I used finished, but unaged, homemade compost for mulch. At the end of the growing season I just turn it under. It works really well.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

help with mulch WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/9/2014, 8:48 pm

Didn't mention, but I have a cold compost hill going.  I'm not in a rush, so don't worry about it heating up. 

But Camp's right about compost.  It's the best thing to do.

I also found that the more you can put on top, the better it seems to be for the plants.  Keeps the root systems cooler & moister.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/9/2014, 11:01 pm

When I need mulch, I use shredded wheat straw.  I remove it and put it on the compost pile when I am ready to rejuvenate the bed.  Some things are so intensively planted that mulch is not really necessary.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

help with mulch Empty Straw

Post  Windmere 8/10/2014, 8:15 am

yolos wrote:When I need mulch, I use shredded wheat straw.  I remove it and put it on the compost pile when I am ready to rejuvenate the bed.  Some things are so intensively planted that mulch is not really necessary.
Hey yolos.

I  bought a bale of wheat straw from Swint's (I don't remember how much it cost... but I do remember thinking that the price was good).  How long does it take for your straw to break down after you add it to your compost?  In general I mean... rapidly or slowly compared to other things?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/10/2014, 9:38 am

Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:When I need mulch, I use shredded wheat straw.  I remove it and put it on the compost pile when I am ready to rejuvenate the bed.  Some things are so intensively planted that mulch is not really necessary.
Hey yolos.

I  bought a bale of wheat straw from Swint's (I don't remember how much it cost... but I do remember thinking that the price was good).  How long does it take for your straw to break down after you add it to your compost?  In general I mean... rapidly or slowly compared to other things?

Sorry, I don't have the faintest idea.  The only browns I use in my pile are wheat straw or live oak leaves or chipped branches.  It breaks down much faster than leaves.  But because the leaves take so long to break down, my piles take so long to compost that there is no way for me to tell anything about the time frame on the wheat straw.

Are you sure that was wheat straw you bought at swint's.  I have never seen any wheat straw there.  They do have pine straw and beautiful bales of Bermuda grass hay sitting in front of the store but I wouldn't buy that.  When did you buy your wheat straw.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

help with mulch Empty Wheat Straw

Post  Windmere 8/10/2014, 9:54 am

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:
Hey yolos.

Sorry, I don't have the faintest idea.  The only browns I use in my pile are wheat straw or live oak leaves or chipped branches.  It breaks down much faster than leaves.  But because the leaves take so long to break down, my piles take so long to compost that there is no way for me to tell anything about the time frame on the wheat straw.

Are you sure that was wheat straw you bought at swint's.  I have never seen any wheat straw there.  They do have pine straw and beautiful bales of Bermuda grass hay sitting in front of the store but I wouldn't buy that.  When did you buy your wheat straw.
I bought the straw at the beginning of spring.  I'm pretty sure it is wheat because it has wheat heads.  In fact, come to think of it, I asked to verify it was wheat, and I bought it because of reading one of your older posts. I have not put it in compost pile (that was dumb), because I bought it for my potatoes.  Unfortunately, I didn't think ahead for compost.

Last edited by Windmere on 8/10/2014, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/10/2014, 12:02 pm

This might happen to you too.
help with mulch Wheat_10
One particular bale of wheat straw I spread on top of my compost pile to keep it from drying out.  The wheat on top of the compost pile germinated.  The bale of wheat in front of the compost pile was put there too keep it warm during the winter.  This picture was taken in March 2013.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/11/2014, 1:04 am

Yolos,  Your photo was timely for me.  There were wheat heads in the bedding straw I used for building my compost.  I was also going to try straw as mulch so now I am going through the straw for mulch with a fine toothed comb!   thanks 

Windmere,  I just came in from building Compost #6.  I used only virgin bedding straw as browns so you will have your answer regarding the speed of straw composting within a few weeks.  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down