Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Toplef10My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News I22gcj10My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Toplef10My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News I22gcj10My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News

+3
sanderson
quiltbea
Windmere
7 posters

Go down

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Empty My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News

Post  Windmere 8/3/2014, 12:30 pm

Today I made what I expect to be one of my very last tomato harvests.  Some are cracked, but I don't care... they still taste good.  I never thought I'd say this, but we have too many tomatoes:

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Tomato10

My tomatoes did ok this season.  Yeah, I had some devastating fungus issues, but I still got some nice production.  This next picture will put things in perspective:

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Spanis10

I have some other vines, and most are similar to these.  I will definitely plant again next year.  There's nothing like a tomato freshly picked from the vine and bursting with sweetness.  Sungold tomatoes were the big hit this season...  I'm planting a ton of those next year (plus...  they were very fungus resistant).

Last edited by Windmere on 8/3/2014, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Empty Re: My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News

Post  quiltbea 8/3/2014, 12:52 pm

You've done well.  I had issues but I'm now getting a few tomatoes.  It won't be like last year, but with a bit of tweaking, I'm hoping my next year will be much better.  I'm still using frozen tomatoes I put up last August from that harvest.

Love all your colors and the varieties.  Good to have a lot of variety for all the health benefits derived from them.  Good job.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Empty Re: My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News

Post  sanderson 8/3/2014, 2:01 pm

You have such a nice variety.  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 8/3/2014, 2:31 pm

Windmere, what a beautiful variety of color. They look so yummy and I agree - there's nothing like a tomato right from the vine.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/3/2014, 2:47 pm

Windmere wrote:Today I made what I expect to be one of my very last tomato harvests.  Some are cracked, but I don't care... they still taste good.  I never thought I'd say this, but we have too many tomatoes:

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Tomato10

My tomatoes did ok this season.  Yeah, I had some devastating fungus issues, but I still got some nice production.  This next picture will put things in perspective:

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Spanis10

I have some other vines, and most are similar to these.  I will definitely plant again next year.  There's nothing like a tomato freshly picked from the vine and bursting with sweetness.  Sungold tomatoes were the big hit this season...  I'm planting a ton of those next year (plus...  they were very fungus resistant).

How beautiful, despite all your issues! I'm having a bad tomato season this year also because it's too cold. I get a few here and there and I'm hoping to have a bumper crop by the end of summer to put up and freeze.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/3/2014, 4:57 pm

windmere what a lovely rainbow of tomatoes  cheers despite the issues you had with them this year....congrats!

for lunch as I type Im having one of our first sandwich size tomato on a turkey and cheese sandwich  hungry 

we lost all of our tomato seedlings this year that we started from seed, as the hole in the plastic cups were not draining well and I didn't check on them soon enough and it killed them....so we had to by seedlings from a couple of local nursery and all the plants so far are doing well

our tomatoes are starting to ripen, and we are so excited.... as last year ALL of our larger tomatoes were killed over night by late blight, the first time to ever have blight in our gardens.....

!

happy eating!
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/3/2014, 6:39 pm

Good looking harvest Windmere.  Your plants look just like mine.  I have three that are not so bad - Better Boy, Juliet, and Early Girl.  And the Gilbertie is hanging in there but still about ready to yank it.  All the heirlooms are just about finished. Some new growth on top so they may last a while.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

My Tomatoes - The Good News and the Bad News Empty Oops... didn't have too many tomatoes after all

Post  Windmere 8/4/2014, 10:37 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words.  I wrote yesterday that I thought we had too many tomatoes... well, I guess one really can never have too many.  Yesterday's harvest is now half of what it was!

Quiltbee:  Those yellow varieties would not have been possible without our seed trade.  My daughter decided that the Garden Peach tomatoes are her favorite.  She is sitting here as I type this and she asked me to thank you again.   Smile  I have some seeds left, so I will be planting those next year for sure.

Yolos:  You mentioned Juliet.  My neighbor down the street also planted Juliet and he brought some over for us to try.  They are delicious!  They also have a beautiful grape shape.  I'm going to plant some next year.  

FamilyGardening,:  I hope you get a bumper crop.  It's so exciting to see those tomatoes beginning to ripen!

CC:  I hope it warms up for you.  Summer has a while to go.

Sanderson:  Thanks for your comment about variety.  I think the variety was more for my daughter's benefit to get her excited about gardening.  However, now I'm really glad for the variety.  It's so fun to try all the different types.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down