Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Should I care about ants on my veggies? Toplef10Should I care about ants on my veggies? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Should I care about ants on my veggies? I22gcj10Should I care about ants on my veggies? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Should I care about ants on my veggies? Toplef10Should I care about ants on my veggies? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Should I care about ants on my veggies? I22gcj10Should I care about ants on my veggies? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Should I care about ants on my veggies?

+3
Marc Iverson
HiDesert
tiffanybrenner
7 posters

Go down

Should I care about ants on my veggies? Empty Should I care about ants on my veggies?

Post  tiffanybrenner 7/2/2014, 12:20 pm

They are so very annoying (I'll attempt some of the techniques listed in other posts), but will they do any actual harm in the veggie garden?
tiffanybrenner
tiffanybrenner

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Should I care about ants on my veggies? Empty Re: Should I care about ants on my veggies?

Post  HiDesert 7/2/2014, 1:27 pm

I've got some ants in mine and I haven't seen them do any damage to anything. Mostly they are attracted to the flowers on my plants.
HiDesert
HiDesert

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Should I care about ants on my veggies? Empty Re: Should I care about ants on my veggies?

Post  Marc Iverson 7/2/2014, 1:28 pm

They will if they herd aphids. Sometimes they'll bring them onto plants and protect them from other bugs so they can drink their sugary droppings.

I think some of them eat pollen too, but some of them also pollinate in the process, and fighting off other bugs is generally good news, so there's definitely good and bad to them.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/2/2014, 2:41 pm

Ants have discovered my Purple Cherokee toms and are eating every one that matures.  However, they're not actually bothering my other crops that they usually bring aphids to.  Do I let them continue to feast on the toms (believe me I have a PLETHORA of other ones)?  

I'm thinking of placing ant bait traps around those toms so I might head off the aphid attacks that will be coming.
Suggestions?  I'm thinking of trying cornmeal & DE in peanut butter jars laid on their side that I saw mentioned in another post.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/2/2014, 7:01 pm

I THOUGHT they weren't doing any damage.  Until I found an aphid explosion on my purple hull cowpeas yesterday. 

And the ants were merrily running up & down the stems as well.  I'm sure they were taking nectar back to their nest.

So now it's war on the ants.

get that pesky wabbi
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/2/2014, 9:47 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Ants have discovered my Purple Cherokee toms and are eating every one that matures.  However, they're not actually bothering my other crops that they usually bring aphids to.  

A lcamprn provided the other day said that ants will exploit the holes created by other creatures, and suggested looking especially for hornworms as the real culprit.

I had hornworms and bird attacks, and often found swarms of ants over their holes. But the ants didn't cause the holes, so far as I know.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/2/2014, 10:51 pm

Personally, I don't think aphids *need* help from ants to get around.  They have wings, they fly, and they reproduce...like mad.

My understanding is that the ant/aphid relationship goes something like this: aphid finds plant to eat, aphid starts sucking on plant juices, aphid secretes honeydew, ant finds aphid and ant "milks" aphid for said honeydew.  It even appears that ants will "herd" the aphids to keep them together, which sounds contrary to the idea of dispersing them to other plants.  And I'm not even sure that it's ALL ants that exhibit this behaviour.

SO, where did the whole idea about ants "bringing aphids to a new plant for the purpose of 'farming' them" come from?  Does anyone have any bona-fide research article finding this to be the case?   I mean, how could the ants know what plant the aphid will want to eat?  How do they keep them alive during the winter months?

I'll say it again and again: I like having ants in my garden *because* they tell me where the aphids are, among other things.  Until someone can show me a legitimate research article that shows that *all* ants are capable of introducing aphids into a previously aphid-free plant, I will continue to hold that coexistence is preferable to broad-spectrum eradication and that ants form an important part of the garden ecosystem.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/2/2014, 11:23 pm

mollyhespra wrote:
SO, where did the whole idea about ants "bringing aphids to a new plant for the purpose of "farming" them" come from?  Does anyone have any bona-fide research article finding this to be the case?   I mean, how could the ants know what plant the aphid will want to eat?  How do they keep them alive during the winter months?

I'll say it again and again: I like having ants in my garden *because* they tell me where the aphids are, among other things.  Until someone can show me a legitimate research article that shows that *all* ants are capable of introducing aphids into a previously aphid-free plant, I will continue to hold that coexistence is preferable to broad-spectrum eradication and that ants form an important part of the garden ecosystem.

Neither of those things is particularly determinative, though.

1. It isn't necessary for all ants to herd aphids for some ants to be damaging.

2. It isn't necessary that ants take aphids from plant to plant for ants to be responsible for increased aphid damage, for example by keeping away their predators, such as ladybugs, etc., on any individual plant they may find aphids on.

3. It isn't necessary for ants to take care of aphids during the winter for aphids to be helped by ants. Ants are capable of finding food resources and alerting other ants to them, and can even search systematically for them, in a different direction every day. An aphid is just another food resource, though a preferred one, among many that they can find.

4. It is not just in guarding and/or moving aphids that ants might be problematic for gardeners, but also in their attacking of other insects and other possible aphid predators, including those normally considered beneficial to gardeners.

Which is not to say that ants are indeed bad in the garden. Maybe it's not a very black and white issue at all, and they may be doing both harm and good at the same time, or maybe it varies tremendously by type of ant, or by circumstance, such as whether a garden even has a serious aphid problem to begin with.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/2/2014, 11:55 pm

I picked some pink eye purple hull peas this evening.  They have some aphids and ants on the pods and stems of the peas.  I was bit 3 times by the ants.  I used insecticidal soap to control the aphids.  But they keep coming back.  There are ants crawling up every stem/branch on the pea plants.  For that reason, I will be putting out ant baits in my beds where the peas are planted.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down