Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So I would call myself in the middle South... Toplef10So I would call myself in the middle South... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So I would call myself in the middle South... I22gcj10So I would call myself in the middle South... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So I would call myself in the middle South... Toplef10So I would call myself in the middle South... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So I would call myself in the middle South... I22gcj10So I would call myself in the middle South... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

So I would call myself in the middle South...

+5
lorideshields
papplebyTN
homeschoolmom
mckr3441
MidTNJasonF
9 posters

Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty So I would call myself in the middle South...

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/7/2010, 8:18 pm

But may very well be on the edge of the Upper South. Zone 6b is what my zip is listed as. Is my thinking correct on the regional forum?
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Male Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty Re: So I would call myself in the middle South...

Post  mckr3441 3/7/2010, 11:09 pm

Welcome to the Board, Jason. You might have fun checking in on both regional forums. We don't have "forum police" here. So I would call myself in the middle South... Icon_smile

Seems to me that these zone identifiers don't necessarily identify location, just climate, and in some cases even that's questionable.

Just have fun on the Forums and keep coming back. Keep us posted on your progress.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty Hey Smyrna sfg

Post  homeschoolmom 3/16/2010, 6:43 pm

I live in Lebanon, TN and am sticking with the middle south group........I like to read what "everyone" is writing though. Do you know of any sfg classes being given in the area? I would really love to get in on a class.
homeschoolmom

Back to top Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty Re: So I would call myself in the middle South...

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/16/2010, 8:10 pm

No I do not know of any local classes. I bought Mel's book at the same place I bought my vermiculite which is Worm's Way in Nashville. They are primarily a hydroponics supply retailer but they have plenty of general garden supply stuff as well and are pretty knowledgeable.

I also found Vermiculite to be available at the local COOP garden centers but it is really hit or miss. They do not get in large quantities and they sell out quickly. You may have better luck at your local COOP. I am in Smyrna in Rutherford County and was impressed with the variety of available items at the Murfreesboro COOP center.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty Hi from Murfreesboro

Post  papplebyTN 3/20/2010, 8:50 pm

I went to CO-OP in Murfreesboro and got my coarse vermiculite after checking out several places in town, I knew the big orange box store didn't have it- because I work there!!!! So today we built our first box, filled, and planted some seeds. Please let me know what tomatoes do the best here in TN, looking for a good beefsteak/slicing variety.Grew "grape" type sweet 100 (1 huge plant) with great results next to my deck last year.
papplebyTN

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/20/2010, 11:29 pm

I grew German Queen, Jet Star, Beef Master Hybrid, Roma, and Grape last year here in Rutherford County.

I had massive sized fruit on the German Queen but moderate yield in terms of quantity.
I had moderate production with the Beef Master Hybrid that is commonly sold in this area. Large fruits that tasted great on a BLT or a burger.
The Jet Star was a huge producer. It was producing so much I had trouble getting to them before the birds. Perfectly formed and shaped medium fruit.
The Roma was also a massive producer and I used a ton of them for canning and salsa making. The fruit started large and plump but later blooms and fruits began diminishing in size as the season progressed.
I did not have great luck with my grape tomatoes. They had good production but had tough skins and not that big of a flavor.

We will have to get a Middle TN lunch together one day to sit and talk square footing for a bit. I live in Smyrna and work in Murfreesboro.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

Post  lorideshields 3/23/2010, 9:42 pm

I was just wondering if I was in the right place....since all of the posts here are TN, I guess I am!!! I am not in middle TN, but Northwest. I live on Reelfoot Lake. I look forward to getting to know all you fellow Tennessee gardeners!!
lorideshields

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/23/2010, 9:48 pm

We're working on getting the regionals defined more clearly so at least you know where to start! That will make it easier to find folks in your region with similar climates. Hopefully, within a week you'll be seeing new regional info.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/23/2010, 10:09 pm

Lori my folks are just North of Memphis and I know their garden and flowers are always a week or two ahead of mine here in the greater Nashville area. Other than that things seem really close if the rain levels are similar for the year.

I used to camp and fish a fair bit at Real Foot in the early 90's but for some reason have not really been back since I left the Memphis area in 1996. It was always fun to take a newbie up there who knew nothing about the lake. The first time the boat started hitting stumps their eye sure got big.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

Post  lorideshields 3/24/2010, 7:58 am

As a teenager, I couldn't get away from here quick enough, but as an adult, and coming back home, I can't think of any place any more beautiful. And the fact that there is "nothing exciting to do"....well, at forty, that is not a bad thing...lol... The stumps are definately a challenge for new visitors. Hubby and his friend were out and some young men were putting a huge boat in the water with a HUGE motor....Hubby and friend asked if they had been on the lake before and both replied, "no"...they warned them about the stumps...the two young men were not appreciative of the warning and basically told them they knew what they were doing...about 15 minutes later hubby was fishing and they hear a huge crash and this " scream"....they look up and the boat had hit a large stump. The stump had gone through the bough of the boat and needless to say, the boat stopped....but the young men didn't....they were airborne for a few seconds... While this incident was quite funny, it can be very dangerous.... happens every year... Around here, we just can't understand why people would take a chance with boats that cost as much as most of our houses...LOL.... You will have to visit Reelfoot again, soon... I have some great friends who own a bed and breakfast and have worked at several of the resorts here so if you need any info on where to stay or eat, let me know...
lorideshields

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/24/2010, 7:34 pm

lorideshields wrote: You will have to visit Reelfoot again, soon... I have some great friends who own a bed and breakfast and have worked at several of the resorts here so if you need any info on where to stay or eat, let me know...

I will probably take you up on that and be in touch. I ride motorcycles as much as I can but in this economy and trying to keep the business running my one and two week rides have turned into long weekend rides. Reelfoot would be a perfect weekend ride trip with a little B&B stop over Saturday night.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

Post  mocon 3/28/2010, 7:07 pm

Were in Mid-TN as well. This will be our second year SFG. I garden with my daughter.
mocon

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/28/2010, 11:30 pm

mocon wrote:Were in Mid-TN as well. This will be our second year SFG. I garden with my daughter.

Welcome, It seems we have a decent crowd here in Middle Tennessee. Keep an eye out in this section for a shortly upcoming post about a get together lunch meet. I will post something up in the next week. If we have a few interested parties and can select a date I have a few ideas. Possibly a mini seed exchange and possibly a give away or little gift baggie from a local garden supply store.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Back to top Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty getting together

Post  homeschoolmom 4/1/2010, 6:17 pm

Great idea of us getting together. Life is so busy it's hard to give a suggestion for a date and time but if others are interested, I would do my best to join in!
homeschoolmom

Back to top Go down

So I would call myself in the middle South... Empty I think I'm in the right place!

Post  kathy72 4/16/2010, 2:54 pm

Hi, all. I live in Spartanburg, SC, which is upstate, SC -so is this the right region for me?
I bought the orginal Square Foot Gardening book years ago and fell in love with the whole concept. I have been SFGing off and on for over 12 years but still consider myself a beginner because I only did it in the summer.
Now I'm ready to venture out and try fall and winter gardening too! So I would call myself in the middle South... Icon_biggrin

Hope to learn lots of things from everyone on this forum and excited that there is a place to meet fellow SFGer's from my region!

Kathy- southern gal
kathy72
kathy72

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 4/16/2010, 3:05 pm

Hi, kathy72. I'm in Columbia, so there are at least two of us from SC!

Where did you get your coarse vermiculite?
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down