Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ants in my compost Toplef10Ants in my compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ants in my compost I22gcj10Ants in my compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ants in my compost Toplef10Ants in my compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ants in my compost I22gcj10Ants in my compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ants in my compost

+7
yolos
Windmere
Cajun Cappy
sanderson
jimmy cee
steve638
mazzy
11 posters

Go down

Ants in my compost Empty Ants in my compost

Post  mazzy 5/30/2014, 3:46 pm

Hello,

I am in process of making my first compost using a tumble barrel type system.  I have a bunch of ants in it after the first day.  Is that unusual?

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Male Posts : 69

http://www.woodworkwonders.com

Back to top Go down

Ants in my compost Empty Re: Ants in my compost

Post  steve638 1/4/2015, 7:58 pm

Soak the area with water. The ants will move on cause they don't like it.
steve638
steve638

Male Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/4/2015, 10:59 pm

Tumble the heck out of them, I bet they don't like that either
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/5/2015, 12:27 am

Mazzy's back!!!!

Not the end of the world, compost wise, unless they are red ants. Some times I find Argentine ant nurseries when I turn the compost. Every adult grabbing an egg or larva and scurrying around. If the tumbler is on legs, you could lightly sprinkle DE or talc-based baby powder around the feet.

Post some updates. We miss you.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 1/5/2015, 2:27 pm

We make a goop from Vaseline, lots of cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and garlic powder make it like a greasy thick paste and smear it around legs of your tumbler also around outdoor furniture legs and stuff.  The ants will not cross it.  We have those nasty fire ants that have a very bad bite.  They hate water like said earlier so when it rains they head for high ground like planter boxes compost piles and any raised bed surfaces even container pots I even found a next in a hanging basket.  We have tried lots of remedies and are forced to poison the mounds and smear the paste on furniture  
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/5/2015, 2:41 pm

Red Imported Fire Ants?  RIFA?  Yikes.   What a Face  You have to do what you have to do! get that pesky wabbi
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 1/5/2015, 6:54 pm

I truly hate using poison and only use it on the mounds.  We have tried every thing and the only other thing that works is soak the mounds with gas wait a few minutes and then burn the gas off.  I cant do that however cause they crop up next to stuff like garden boxes and trees and such I hate to poison them but if you have ever been bitten by a fire ant you understand and know why I do. 
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2015, 1:22 am

I've seen the bites, and no thank you. Boiling water? These art castings show how intricate the colonies are.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ant+Hill+Metal+Sculpture&FORM=RESTAB
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ants in my compost Empty Neem oil

Post  Windmere 1/6/2015, 4:01 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents about preventing ants from going to somewhere they want to be (but where you DON'T want them to be)....  I rub pure neem oil on their paths.  For example, with our hummingbird feeder and for our suet cages, rubbing neem oil on their supporting wires, etc.  keeps them at bay.  This process doesn't require mixing of stuff, so it's very convenient.  Works for me every time Wink
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2015, 4:17 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the idea.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/6/2015, 6:38 pm

Windmere wrote:Just wanted to add my two cents about preventing ants from going to somewhere they want to be (but where you DON'T want them to be)....  I rub pure neem oil on their paths.  For example, with our hummingbird feeder and for our suet cages, rubbing neem oil on their supporting wires, etc.  keeps them at bay.  This process doesn't require mixing of stuff, so it's very convenient.  Works for me every time Wink

How long does the neem work.  Does it was off with the rain. 

We are over run with ants in my yard.  I have used poison on hills on the outside of my garden.  Then used boiling water inside a bed when it becomes empty.  If it is not empty, I try cinnamon.  It will not kill them but many times they move out of the bed.  This year I am going to try the boric acid and corn syrup recipe.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/6/2015, 6:52 pm

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:Just wanted to add my two cents about preventing ants from going to somewhere they want to be (but where you DON'T want them to be)....  I rub pure neem oil on their paths.  For example, with our hummingbird feeder and for our suet cages, rubbing neem oil on their supporting wires, etc.  keeps them at bay.  This process doesn't require mixing of stuff, so it's very convenient.  Works for me every time Wink

How long does the neem work.  Does it was off with the rain. 

We are over run with ants in my yard.  I have used poison on hills on the outside of my garden.  Then used boiling water inside a bed when it becomes empty.  If it is not empty, I try cinnamon.  It will not kill them but many times they move out of the bed.  This year I am going to try the boric acid and corn syrup recipe.
Well, for me, it lasts quite some time... months...  HOWEVER... our hummingbird feeder and our suet cage are under a porch or roof awning, so there is not problem with rain.  Depending on the consistency of the oil you use, I'm thinking longevity with rainy conditions might vary.  I have two kinds... one is very viscous, while the other is a bit "runny."  I use the thicker version for rubbing on wires.  The thicker one was more expensive and it stinks A LOT more.  Must be more concentrated I guess.

I actually bought some boric acid at the end of summer because of ants trying to get into our kitchen.  When a freak cold snap occurred, they went away on their own  (??).  I have the boric acid ready though!  Oddly, I found it hard to get boric acid.  The only place that had it around here was mom and pop pharmacy called Jones Pharmacy in Fayetteville.  Since you drive 85 from time to time, you pass it.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/6/2015, 6:57 pm

I found some Boric acid in Kroger last year.  They carry it in the aisle with the eye care products for some reason.  ????  (yes, I drive by Jones Pharmacy every day).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/6/2015, 7:13 pm

yolos wrote:I found some Boric acid in Kroger last year.  They carry it in the aisle with the eye care products for some reason.  ????  (yes, I drive by Jones Pharmacy every day).
Hey, you were lucky!  My Kroger pharmacist actually referred me to Jones 'cause he didn't have any.  Jones ain't cheap!  (Eye care???)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/6/2015, 10:16 pm

yolos wrote:I found some Boric acid in Kroger last year.  They carry it in the aisle with the eye care products for some reason.  ????  (yes, I drive by Jones Pharmacy every day).
My dad had an artificial eye, when he removed it nightly it was soaked in a solution of boric acid.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/7/2015, 12:46 pm

Just be careful with the boric acid does not build up in the growing beds.  Some plants are very sensitive to it.  I used to make a mix of boric acid and peanut butter and syrup and put it on nests.  Supposedly the workers will bring it to the queen to eat the tasty treat and the boric acid will kill her.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/8/2015, 8:18 am

Ant - Pest Control
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 3/23/2015, 1:56 pm

In SOCAL I doubt that you have Red Ants AKA Fire Ants.  Saturday we were working in the yard and I stepped in a Red Ant mound.  I had on flip flops.  My feet  have at least 2 dozen bites then I got bites on my hands brushing them off of my feet. 

Yesterday my feet were hurting so badly from the bites that I could not put on closed shoes.  This morning I popped the blisters with a sterile needle then treated them with peroxide, rubbing alcohol and antibiotic cream. 

I do not like using chemicals but when it comes to killing fire ants I show no mercy.  Beware - here comes the ORTHO.

FA's in my compost or garden beds present a problem.  ORTHO will kill the necessary microbes along with the ants.  I disturb the nest then douse it with boiling water.  They move to another area where I can attack them with the ORTHO.

Try boiling water.  It will at least make them move away from your compost.

Good luck

Ants are a problem on my hummingbird feeders.  I use plain petroleum jelly on the hanger.  I don't have to add anything to it.  The ants get suck and can not reach the feeder.  Same thing with the legs of patio furniture.  Adding Cayenne does not increase the effectiveness. 

Good luck
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 3/23/2015, 7:24 pm

Elizabeth wrote:In SOCAL I doubt that you have Red Ants AKA Fire Ants.  Saturday we were working in the yard and I stepped in a Red Ant mound.  I had on flip flops.  My feet  have at least 2 dozen bites then I got bites on my hands brushing them off of my feet. 

Yesterday my feet were hurting so badly from the bites that I could not put on closed shoes.  This morning I popped the blisters with a sterile needle then treated them with peroxide, rubbing alcohol and antibiotic cream. 

I do not like using chemicals but when it comes to killing fire ants I show no mercy.  Beware - here comes the ORTHO.

FA's in my compost or garden beds present a problem.  ORTHO will kill the necessary microbes along with the ants.  I disturb the nest then douse it with boiling water.  They move to another area where I can attack them with the ORTHO.

Try boiling water.  It will at least make them move away from your compost.

Good luck

Ants are a problem on my hummingbird feeders.  I use plain petroleum jelly on the hanger.  I don't have to add anything to it.  The ants get suck and can not reach the feeder.  Same thing with the legs of patio furniture.  Adding Cayenne does not increase the effectiveness. 

Good luck
Elizabeth, I rub pure neem oil on our hummingbird feeder's hanging wire and the ants stay away for quite some time.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/23/2015, 8:26 pm

You don't want to control them, repel them, kill them. All that's going to do is rebuild their reserve. You need to eliminate the colony, how to do that with fire ants may need professional help.
As in termite control, their colonies are eliminated now with the relatively new product.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/24/2015, 8:55 am

The key to getting rid of an ant nest is to remove the queen. Turning the compost pile will certainly disrupt the nest. If the pile is kept significantly moist, it will generally be inhospitable for ants to keep a nest there.

haas, thanks for that link.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ants in my compost WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down