Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( Toplef10The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( I22gcj10The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( Toplef10The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( I22gcj10The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :(

+3
lyndeeloo
CapeCoddess
manda99
7 posters

Go down

The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( Empty The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :(

Post  manda99 5/21/2014, 10:20 am

Ripped holes through all the big leaves. They were laying on the dirt all sad when I went out this morning. Most of the large leaves are torn through and I don't think they have enough leaves on them yet to survive that kind of onslaught. Poor things. Sad The hail was coming down so hard, that I was afraid it was going to break through our skylights! Fortunately, the rest of my plants seem to have fared well. Anyone else get hail damage last night??
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( Empty Re: The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :(

Post  CapeCoddess 5/21/2014, 1:57 pm

Grrrrrrr...

I wish we knew when hail was coming so we could cover. We had the first hail I've ever experienced here in the early spring this year. They were the size of peas that didn't cause any damage. But I would have rather covered my greens then have them become full of ice pellets. They looked so sad but bounced right back.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :( Empty Re: The hailstorm last night got my cucumbers :(

Post  lyndeeloo 5/21/2014, 2:47 pm

Oh no CC! I am glad everything else is ok!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/21/2014, 3:03 pm

I'm sad for you - it's so frustrating to work so hard and have a freak occurrence set you back.

We don't generally have much of an issue with hail - it's fairly small and mostly in the winter when nothing is growing.  However, earlier this year, about a month after my starts were out in the garden it hailed about midnight.  I never even thought it could be a problem I just went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning the hail had congealed in low spots around a lot of my plants and had frozen into a sheet of ice.  I thought for certain I would lose everything but only one squash plant didn't make it.  

It's just one thing after another isn't it?  Protecting a garden is a FULL time job, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 5/21/2014, 3:42 pm

Well, it was 75/80 degrees, so the cold wasn't a problem, thankfully. It was large hailstones though - nickel and quarter size, so it just ripped through the leaves. I think what saved the rest of the plants was their still small size. It looks like I only have one cucumber plant that may survive. My daisies took it pretty hard, too, in my flower garden. The stalks are all laid down and bent now. Daisies are like that though. Just one year, I'd like to get pretty, straight-legged daisies!
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/21/2014, 6:00 pm

Wow, nickel and quarter-sized??? That's nasty. Sorry you got visited by such bad luck.

I don't know if you want to rip up your cukes and start over, or not. But in case you're sticking with the plants you've got, I'll cross my fingers for you. For what it's worth, my cucumbers were almost entirely killed off by cucumber beetles last year, but the very few survivors, almost completely leaf-stripped and hit by bacterial wilt from the beetles as they were, wound up thriving. Cucumbers are weird. They can be so delicate, but surprise you, too, by hanging on against all odds and even becoming productive after taking terrible damage.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 5/21/2014, 10:19 pm

I could see the towers of those storms from southern Wisconsin.  Sorry to hear of your bad luck.  Without a picture it's hard to say, maybe sow some seeds in between each plant and leave the plants.  As the new seeds emerge, if the existing ones are dead, you have new ones, if they recovered, pull the new seedlings? Just an idea.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 5/22/2014, 9:43 am

Well, it looks like my two vining cucumbers are trying to make a go of it still. They are beat up, but the newest leaves are still stretching up and they perked back up after laying in the dirt. The bush cucumbers that I had in containers, however, are definitely done. I pulled them last night and re-seeded. Luckily, it's still early in the season. Smile I had a rough start for my cucs last year, too, and ended up with a huge crop. I'm still hopeful!
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/22/2014, 5:15 pm

Good!

Luckily, cukes can grow pretty quickly. You may still get plenty, just a little later than you'd hoped.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/23/2014, 1:58 pm

Sorry that you lost your plants..... but you will be able to grow more ... summer is early..
In fact, I had forgotten to plant them thus far, and you reminded me.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down