Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Determinate tomato spacing Toplef10Determinate tomato spacing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Determinate tomato spacing I22gcj10Determinate tomato spacing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Determinate tomato spacing Toplef10Determinate tomato spacing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Determinate tomato spacing I22gcj10Determinate tomato spacing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Determinate tomato spacing

+8
boffer
rabbithutch
walshevak
TxGramma
sanderson
camprn
Jmichelle
larknoelle
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Determinate tomato spacing Empty Determinate tomato spacing

Post  larknoelle 5/8/2014, 1:24 pm

Another spacing question from a newbie. 

Are determinate tomatoes really 4 plants per 1 square?

I have All New Revised edition 2006 & it appears to have a typo with summer squash spacing that's a question for another topic. Now, I'm a bit concerned about the same chart's spacing for determinate tomatoes.  Pg. 192 says determinate tomatoes are spaced at (4) per 1 square.

I've had some concern about that before wondering if that's just way too cramped but now that other posters have established there is definitely a typo with the summer squash in the same chart, I wanted to get other people's opinion or maybe info about the second edition's spacing about determinate (non-vine tomatoes).

We are picking up our seedlings on Saturday & have 6 determinate plants ordered to fill 2 spaces.

Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Determinate tomato spacing Empty My two cents

Post  Jmichelle 5/8/2014, 1:48 pm

I'm a SFG newbie. I ordered the book from Rodale press and asked for the newest version of the book, and the agent assured me that I had the latest version. After joining this forum, I realized that I don't have the newest version. I have what I believe is the second edition (2005).
This book has bush tomatoes at 4 per square as well, so I hope that helps a little. I only planted one per square just because I had a determinate tomato that got kinda big last year, and a couple of bush varieties that stayed nice and compact.
Am I confusing the two? I just got confuzzled  thinking 
I think I need to eat lunch..

Are all determinate varieties considered bush tomatoes?

Last edited by Jmichelle on 5/8/2014, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I needed to clarify a question)
Jmichelle
Jmichelle

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Determinate tomato spacing Empty Re: Determinate tomato spacing

Post  larknoelle 5/8/2014, 2:22 pm

Determinate = bush; Indeterminate = vine.

Is everyone just ignoring the book about the 4 determinate tomatoes per square?
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/8/2014, 2:35 pm

larknoelle wrote:Determinate = bush; Indeterminate = vine.

Is everyone just ignoring the book about the 4 determinate tomatoes per square?
Hello,  If that is what it says it is an error. Did you happen to buy your book in a discount store?

I had determinate planted at one per square foot and indeterminate at 1 for every 2 squares. The plants were offset, like a checkerboard.

In both of these planting situations, plant management is required through pruning by removing all lower leaf branches below the first fruits. Upper plants will also need some pruning of suckers throughout the season.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Determinate tomato spacing WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2014, 2:47 pm

Sounds like typos to me.  Shocked  Should read Bush (or determinants) toms 1 plant / 9 sq ft. Vine 1 plant/sq ft. Trellising or stakes required for vining or indeterminants. You CAN train/prune determinants (bush) to make them into skinny tall plants. You may be buying a few large pots or 5 gallon food-grade buckets and stakes for the toms and summer squashes!!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/8/2014, 3:01 pm

+1 but I wouldn't prune determinates you need the growth to produce toms as they stop growing and stop producing unlike the indet.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Determinate tomato spacing Empty Here it is

Post  Jmichelle 5/8/2014, 3:05 pm

I purchased my book from Rodale press. What we saw was the crop-by-crop planting guide at the back of the edition I ended up with, 2005.
For spacing, it states; bush types 4 plants per 4' x 4' block; vine type- 1 plant per square (12").
*reading fail* Embarassed
Jmichelle
Jmichelle

Back to top Go down

Determinate tomato spacing Empty New edition in order

Post  Jmichelle 5/8/2014, 3:09 pm

Think i'm going to order the the newest edition....and make sure that's actually what i'm getting.
Jmichelle
Jmichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/8/2014, 3:28 pm

No matter which you plant, they will need staking/trellising.  Even the determinates get pretty tall and definately sprawl all over.  I did the opposite from Camprn, 1 indeterminate per square and 1 indeterminate per 2 squares until I started running out of bed space to try new veggies and decided to go to 5 gal buckets next to a trellis for all my tomatoes.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/8/2014, 3:54 pm

I've read about the determinant vs indeterminate types of tomatoes, but I've never seen a good source for finding out if a specific variety is determinant or not.  I always buy plants instead of growing from seed, and that information is usually missing.  Doesn't variety also affect plant spacing?

While I'm about it, what about cherry tomato plant spacing per square?  Any guidelines?  If it's in my books, I've missed it.

Finally, tell me about wilt.  When I grew tomatoes many decades ago in NC, I was always careful to buy wilt resistant varieties because I never had any luck otherwise.  Now, I see almost nothing about wilt and wilt resistant varieties.  Has wilt gone away?  I know that it is a soil borne pathogen.  Can it also exist in MM?  If so, is it still important to ensure that plants are wilt resistant varieties?
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/8/2014, 4:57 pm

I have the copyrighted version 2005. It is the old book. Although there is good info in it, you definitely want to get the new version, copyright 2006 or 2013.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/8/2014, 5:05 pm

Wilt of many types is specified by the name of the pathogen these days, e.g., fusarium, verticillium(sp?), which makes it easier to talk about and tackle. Many things cause wilt, and some aren't even diseases at all. So you might find plants listed as resistant to drought, or some disease, both of which can cause wilting in their own way and time and degree.

One way to find out about particular types of tomatoes is to look at seed catalogues. The big ones, like Johnny's, Seedsavers, Territorial, Bakers Creek, Parkers, Botanical Interests, and others will often have on their website, in their catalogs, or both, a lot of information on each seed they sell. Or anyway enough particulars to orient you, let you understand what you might be ordering, and get you started. What one catalog has only a little on, another might have a lot of info on. And what one doesn't have, another might. Additionally, there are specialty tomato sites like tomatoville.com and others, both commercial and non-commercial, that have plenty of info to share.

Also, a google on things like "types of tomatoes" or "tomato cultivars" can turn up lots of info.

Finally, I think there is a way to tell determinate from indeterminate by a quick look at the stem and leaf structure ... can't for the life of me remember what it is, though. Another google possibility.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 5/8/2014, 5:41 pm

My Viva Italia's I plant every year for freezing and sauces are determinate. I plant four in a 4x4 box and they use all the space. This year (if the freeze doesn't win) I have one planted in a 2x4 with two Umberto's (sp).  That will be a total of 5 with the two indeterm. paste tomato's.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/8/2014, 6:15 pm

http://myfolia.com/

This is a great website with a nice plant wiki database.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Determinate tomato spacing WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jmichelle 5/8/2014, 7:46 pm

boffer wrote:I have the copyrighted version 2005.  It is the old book.  Although there is good info in it, you definitely want to get the new version, copyright 2006 or 2013.
Oh thanks! I didn't know there was a 2013 version.
Jmichelle
Jmichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/8/2014, 8:58 pm

ANSF Second Edition  this is the new one with the current info.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jmichelle 5/8/2014, 9:07 pm

Thanks!
Jmichelle
Jmichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2014, 5:55 am

walshevak wrote:No matter which you plant, they will need staking/trellising.  Even the determinates get pretty tall and definately sprawl all over.  I did the opposite from Camprn, 1 indeterminate per square and 1 indeterminate per 2 squares until I started running out of bed space to try new veggies and decided to go to 5 gal buckets next to a trellis for all my tomatoes.

Kay
I did try to grow indeterminate tomatoes one per square foot. After two years I planted the indeterminate toms every other square with improved results. More space for roots to take up nutrients and increased air circulation in the bed allowed for an improved environment that was less hospitable to diseases.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/9/2014, 10:07 am

I +1 Sanderson's comment earlier in this post about what the current copy of the book says about the spacing of toms but didn't say how I do mine. First of all, no way am I going to give one plant 9 squares I would plant it in a bucket outside of my SFG. That being said I planted my indeterminates 2 per 3 squares (which is basically 1 per every other square but I didn't center them in the square they were in) spaced about 9 or 10 inches from the outside of the square and leaving about 16-18" between the two toms. I liked having the extra space, especially since I don't prune as heavily as some do. My determinates were spaced at 1 per square. I caged one and did Florida weave on the others. I like the Florida weave better, the caged one was too bushy and confined not enough air flow. Last year was not a great year for my toms though, got them in too late and had some stress issues with my det so had some stunted growth. So I'm trying the same spacing on them this year and doing Florida weave on my det to see if I still like it with hopefully better growth. If so then I will continue spacing my det at 1 per square with the Florida weave; if not then next year my det will be in buckets. I really like the spacing on the ind though so will keep planting them at 2 per 3 squares.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/9/2014, 1:23 pm

TxGramma, I planted 3 toms over 4 linear feet. In a 2 x 3 bed, I planted 3 staggered, that is, 2 corner squares on one 3' side and one in the center square of the other 3' side. Containers for all the peppers and herbs. My square footage in sunny areas is too precious to give anything more than 2 squares, much less 9 squares. Summer and winter squares 1/square, either tall trellises or corners.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2014, 1:28 pm

TxGramma wrote: I liked having the extra space, especially since I don't prune as heavily as some do. My determinates were spaced at 1 per square. I caged one and did Florida weave on the others. I like the Florida weave better, the caged one was too bushy and confined not enough air flow. Last year was not a great year for my toms though, got them in too late and had some stress issues with my det so had some stunted growth. So I'm trying the same spacing on them this year and doing Florida weave on my det to see if I still like it with hopefully better growth. If so then I will continue spacing my det at 1 per square with the Florida weave; if not then next year my det will be in buckets. I really like the spacing on the ind though so will keep planting them at 2 per 3 squares.
I too have gone to mostly Florida weave for tomato support. In addition to supporting the plant it keeps it more contained in a limited vertical space.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/9/2014, 3:05 pm

sanderson wrote:TxGramma,  I planted 3 toms over 4 linear feet.  In a 2 x 3 bed, I planted 3 staggered, that is, 2 corner squares on one 3' side and one in the center square of the other 3' side.  Containers for all the peppers and herbs.  My square footage in sunny areas is too precious to give anything more than 2 squares, much less 9 squares.  Summer and winter squares 1/square, either tall trellises or corners.
That's for sure. I have more space in my yard than you do but still not enough to give any plant that much room. I do the same with my summer squash, 1 per square, and train them on stakes . I really liked how that worked out as well. And all of my herbs are in pots except some of my basil that I am planting in the edge of my tomato squares.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 5/9/2014, 3:13 pm

camprn wrote:I too have gone to mostly Florida weave for tomato support. In addition to supporting the plant it keeps it more contained in a limited vertical space.
I agree, I really liked it last year and I'm definitely using it again this year. It's easy to do and like you said gave good support and contained the plants well.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Back to top Go down

Post  larknoelle 5/9/2014, 5:34 pm

Thanks, everyone. We would have been totally boned if we had planted indeterminate 4 plants to a square. We will try it 1 vine per square & 1 determinate per square. But we are picking up our plants tomorrow & it's last chance to not get plants.... So...

We were now planning on getting a celebrity & mountain fresh plus for our determinates. Our vines are new girl & san marzano. Any thoughts on those breeds being 1 square per plant?

We will stake the determinates & the vines will grow on the trellis.

Thanks, again, everyone!!

(Also, note the book was the library copy. We wanted to test the book our before buying so that answer's that - old version!)
larknoelle
larknoelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/10/2014, 1:02 pm

I found SanMarzano does very well trellised up.  It has a spare growth pattern and did not branch a lot so not a lot of pruning needed.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next