Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Filling my first bed right now, help with water please Toplef10Filling my first bed right now, help with water please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please I22gcj10Filling my first bed right now, help with water please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Filling my first bed right now, help with water please Toplef10Filling my first bed right now, help with water please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please I22gcj10Filling my first bed right now, help with water please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please

+5
sanderson
plantoid
boffer
shegardens
66stitches
9 posters

Go down

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please Empty Filling my first bed right now, help with water please

Post  66stitches 5/5/2014, 2:39 pm

Hi! 

Making my mels mix this aft and filling my first bed. Wondering about water.

I know I read to be sure to saturate the peat once it's in the bed, and to water after filling each third. My question is how much? Should it be sopping? Just damp? I thought I put on a lot of water, it was pooling in places, then I turned over a corner and it was dry just under the top few millimetres. 

So should I be sure it's soaked down through? Should I mix it up in the bed once I water? 

Sorry, such a newbie!

Thanks!
66stitches
66stitches

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please Empty Same Question!

Post  shegardens 5/5/2014, 3:22 pm

I'm about to add my premade Mel's Mix....
Had no idea I had to water it!
All advice appreciated!
shegardens
shegardens

Back to top Go down

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please Empty Re: Filling my first bed right now, help with water please

Post  boffer 5/5/2014, 3:55 pm

We've only had one member on the forum who had the patience to measure the amount of water it takes to properly saturate a box of MM for the first time.  In a 6 inch box, figure about 1 gallon of water per square foot.  There are any number of variables that could affect that number, but it's a good starting place.

It takes me the better part of a day to properly saturate a box of new MM.  Add water, stir, add water, stir, and wait.  Come back a little bit later and do it again.  And again.  It takes awhile for the peat to soak up the water.  Definitely dig down to the bottom to check.  Mel says you can't over-water, so I don't worry about that.  Hopefully, if you get too much water in at once, you'll be able to see it draining out.  

I will water established boxes that have no plants in them just to keep the MM wet, as that's easier than starting all over with a dry box.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Filling my first bed right now, help with water please Empty Re: Filling my first bed right now, help with water please

Post  66stitches 5/5/2014, 4:00 pm

Ever so grateful, thank you!
66stitches
66stitches

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  shegardens 5/5/2014, 4:06 pm

Me Too!!!
I never would have even thought to water it... wonder what would've happened...
So thanks to 66stitches for posting the question and thanks
to boffer for the quick answer!
shegardens
shegardens

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2014, 4:08 pm

Glad I could help.   Very Happy

Yes, it's best to get your MM saturated before adding plants or seeds.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/5/2014, 5:50 pm

one drop of eco type dish drops liquid per gallon of water will also make the water wetter ( breaks down the surface tension so it can penetrate / gain entry to the fibres much quicker.

As it is an eco product it will do no harm to the bed other than add a minute amount of nutrient .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/5/2014, 5:59 pm

boffer wrote:
I will water established boxes that have no plants in them just to keep the MM wet, as that's easier than starting all over with a dry box.

Ditto
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/5/2014, 6:09 pm

+2
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 5/5/2014, 6:25 pm

Occasionally when I am making a small batch of MM I will place the peat into a container of water an let it soak until I mix all the ingredients together. I'm sure there would be a way to do this when making a large batch but I have not tried that yet. You might need some cheese cloth or something so you can strain out the peat.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/5/2014, 6:38 pm

I just ran into this situation today. Thought I had watered the beds really well yesterday, went to plant today and the beds were dry, dry, dry. I was really surprised and spent almost an hour trying to water the mix in 5 4x4 beds. Will wait til tomorrow, water some more and then plant. Learned my lesson!!! Keep it watered, even if it is not planted.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/5/2014, 7:01 pm

I often mix my MM in 5-gallon buckets. I'll fill one about a third of the way full with water, then slowly add in peat moss, crumbling as finely as I can and then stirring it as I go. Leaving a few inches at the top to allow for slopping over and to make mixing easier, I visually divide the bucket into thirds and add one of those third's worth of peat moss into the water. If I'm in no hurry, I'll let it soak overnight.

Next comes the vermiculite, because the peat and water will still be pretty loose and easy to turn, and I don't want to be smashing the vermiculite into smaller pieces. If that mixture is left overnight, with plenty of water, by the next morning much of the water will have been absorbed and the preliminary mix will feel like a a moist sludge. I'll consider this bucket of peat and vermiculite my "two-thirds mix," ready to combine, in a separate bucket, with blended compost to make the final mix.

Then comes the blended compost, adding more water if necessary to keep the mixture from getting too dry. Which at that point should be pretty easy to do. At any rate, the basic plan is to soak the real water-absorbing components overnight so as to let time do a lot of the work of evening out the moisture penetration.

It's a little time-consuming and best for mixing smaller amounts. But there's nothing preventing the use of a couple of buckets at a time, which I've also done. For smaller amounts, I find the mixing and wetting process much easier and more user-friendly this way than trying to wet all the ingredients at the same time and wet them all together, all the while hoping the peat doesn't clump up too much. It's all very well mixed and wetted by the time it even sees any compost.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down