Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs Toplef10Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs I22gcj10Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs Toplef10Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs I22gcj10Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs

2 posters

Go down

Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs Empty Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs

Post  rabbithutch 5/3/2014, 1:40 pm

I'm just old enough that I still prefer reading books to reading web pages.  There is something about having a book to read in the shade of a tree that laptops, notebooks, and iPads just don't deliver.  So, I'm asking for recommendations for books on growing herbs.  The topic has wide appeal as evidenced by the number of volumes published and web pages written.  This tends to provide a bit of clutter.  What I'd really like to have is an encyclopedic presentation about herbs that would provide common and scientific names, tell if annual or perennial (or other), provide seed germination charts showing approximate times to plant and when to expect harvest based on hardiness zones, describe tastes, tell of recommended uses including for both dried and non-dried states, make suggestions for use in cooking, provide pictures of seedlings and mature plants, describe growth habits - size, shape, etc., provide plant density guidelines, and cover companion planting and rotation recommendations with other herbs and other vegetable crops.

If you know of a book that approaches this type of information, please share the title.

TIA Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs 3170584802
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs Empty Re: Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs

Post  sanderson 5/3/2014, 3:49 pm

Did you Search "Herb Book?"  There may be some herb books mentioned within the topics.  I have a feeling there are almost as many "Herb" books as there are "tomato" books.   Very Happy

I should mention that I also prefer hard copies. What I do is print anything I really like online, and add it to a 3-ring binder I started. I also increase the font so I can comfortably read the darn thing.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs Empty Re: Looking for the Definitive Book on Growing Herbs

Post  rabbithutch 5/12/2014, 5:38 pm

Just in case anyone searches this topic, I'll give a brief preliminary report on the 2 herb books I bought and continue to digest.

The Rodale book (I'll have to get the name and come back) is a good one but not as user friendly nor as comprehensive as I would have liked.  It passes over information about herbs, their historical significance, and folk uses but gives a good account of the various herbs that it addresses.  It might have provided more general background information about selecting and growing herbs.

The other book is The Encyclopedia of Herbs published by the Fog City Press and credited to Hutchison as the primary subject matter expert, although many others are credited.  This book has great background information, great visual impact, very good information about every aspect of herbs that I could imagine, plus and encyclopedic discussion of hundreds of herbs complete with pictures and all the information I could digest.  It might not be totally inclusive for every herb but it is very, very extensive.  I was a bit put off by this book because there were some glaring errors in the first pages of the introductory section with unfinished groups and duplications.  After having spent more time with the book, I attribute those problems to the printing process and some to the editing of proofs.  The information, however, is thorough and in-depth.  I lack the comprehensive knowledge to say whether or not there are errors of fact, but most of the things I've read from sources I know well and respect are affirmed in this text.  Of the two, I'd spend the money on this one.

A good source for all printed books is abebooks.com.  (I hope I have not violated any rules by writing this.  I have no interest in the site other than as a satisfied customer.  It is a place where used book dealers from all over the world list the titles they have on offer with prices.  I have bought from these dealers for years and never been disappointed.)
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down