Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Toplef10Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea I22gcj10Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Toplef10Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea I22gcj10Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea

4 posters

Go down

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Empty Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea

Post  has55 4/1/2014, 3:15 am

I'm applying some of the hugelkultur concept to two of my square foot garden beds.  I live in a neighborhood and I really don't want a 6-7 ft hultur hill in my yard. I wanted to try in my sfg bed, since this is the type of gardener method I have chosen to use, probably for the rest of my life.
I dug down about a foot in both beds.
in this bed I removed the weed barrier and put down cardboard in both beds. I left my wide worm tube in place.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Img_0210

the worms have become more active since warmer temp have arrived in denton, tx.  a drop in 3 inches on friday 3/28/14.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Img_0211

here's is two rotten logs about to be placed in this bed after I get the cardboard down. this wood is porous, so I can see how it will hold water and attract organism like the coral reef when it building itself at the baby stage. There was tons of worms in the soil. I was impressed. I guess the wide worm tube is working. will keep checking it progress.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Img_0212

my future new  tomatoes and pepper bed with the rotten logs in place. I have not yet added the bird netting to my SFG trellis. 
water line in place, but not connected to my underground aquajet system. It be done when my parts arrived.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Img_0213

The finish product: mel's mix with coconut coir from texas organic hydroponics. I didn't use peat moss. The water holding power of the coir just works better for me in texas sun stricken, skin burning, energy sucking, water robbing heat. but it doesn't stop me from having fun in my SFG beds.

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Img_0214
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Empty Re: Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea

Post  sanderson 4/1/2014, 3:19 am

Amazing project you have undertaken. In a couple of months you will have the "Texas sun stricken, skin burning, energy sucking, water robbing heat."
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea Empty Re: Hopefully a new drought resistant and water conservation idea

Post  has55 4/1/2014, 3:31 am

yep, I usually dread it, but this time , I'm saying bring the heat on. It the only way I'm going to find out if the idea will work and be helpful to others.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/1/2014, 3:33 am

this year I hope I have success with both my winter and summer ideas. These idea are just burning to get out of my heart and my time is limited of what I can do since I work long shifts.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/1/2014, 5:33 am

Oh my goodness Has, that's an interesting idea and I really look forward to hearing your results.

I've got a stash of logs that at first look awfully heavy but crumble to pieces when touched. If your experiment works I may borrow your idea. Or do regular hugelkultur with it instead of letting nature simply reclaim it out back.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/1/2014, 12:47 pm

those logs are almost like lifting air after they've rotten. I was surprised. hope everything is a success and will open a new doorway in water conservation for SFGardening
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/1/2014, 2:47 pm

Anything that helps save water is a great idea. Your rotten logs also helping preserve nutrients and adding to a naturally evolving good soil structure is a nice bonus too. Hugelkultur has some really interesting ideas -- some great youtubes on Sepp Holzer and others, those Aussie permaculture guys -- and it will be interesting to see how your implementation plays out for you over the months and years if you keep updating.

We had 100 degrees for over a month last summer and 90 degrees most of the rest of it, and even my MM in square-foot-sized thick burlap bags didn't ever get dangerously dry. But I do hear people say they run into dry MM like you do. I hope you got good coir. They sell coir-based soils here by the truckload, and cheap, but I worry about the salt contents and whether they really bother to soak and drain mass quantities of it before incorporating it into their soils and composts.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/1/2014, 2:56 pm

I moved this topic to "non-SFG Discussion"
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down