Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina Toplef10Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina I22gcj10Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina Toplef10Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina I22gcj10Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina Empty Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina

Post  johnbmarek 3/28/2014, 2:56 pm

Hello, my name is John Marek and I just signed up for the certification course on April 4, 11 and 18. This will be my third growing season using Square Foot techniques. The first year I established a simple 4X4 raised bed. Last year I began composting and expanded my growing area. My results so far have been good, but not trouble-free, and I am looking forward to learning more and interacting with more experienced gardeners. Ultimately, my goal is to develop a program whereby disadvantaged youth learn to garden as a way of promoting discipline, self-respect and fiscal responsibility. To give you an idea of what I am working with, I have included a picture from June of last growing season.

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina ?ui=2&ik=8a23248674&view=fimg&th=1450a072c49dee3d&attid=0
johnbmarek
johnbmarek

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 30

http://www.johnbmarek.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina Empty Re: Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina

Post  sanderson 3/28/2014, 8:18 pm

John, Welcome to the Forum!   glad you\'re here   You have been Square Footing for 3 seasons and you are just now joining the Forum?  I don't think I could have made 3 seasons without being here.   Embarassed  I learned so much in my first 13 months from all these folks and I finally I felt ready to take the class last month. Don't be a stranger. You probably have a lot to share, the good, the bad and the ugly. We all learn from it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina Empty Re: Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina

Post  johnbmarek 3/28/2014, 10:06 pm

Well, I guess I'm not much of a joiner. LOL! 

Seriously, though, I have a long and troubled history with gardening. Twenty-five years ago I bought a small farmhouse on an acre of land in rural Wood County, Ohio and set about living like the smiling people with their chickens in Country Journal magazine. To make a long, expensive and exasperating story short, that was something less than a roaring success. Eventually, we sold that house and moved to a condo with zero yard. In 1995, we moved to NC and a suburban house with a little bitty yard, most of which was wooded. Then, a couple of years ago, we had a 50 foot cedar tree come down in a storm, narrowly missing our house. Shaken by that, we had an arborist evaluate our remaining trees and he recommended that a couple of them close to the house be removed. This left us with a relatively sunny patch in the backyard, and I decided to try my hand at gardening again, in a very limited way. About that same time, I was browsing the gardening section at my local bookstore and came across Mel's book, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Year one, I had no idea what to expect. While the patch where the raised bed is placed is "relatively" sunny, it is not full sun, and it is still shaded by trees a bit in the morning and by the house in the evenings. It had also been 20 years since I had bought seeds, and I found myself somewhat overwhelmed by the sheer variety available. In the end, I settled on a little bit of everything, which was, in itself, proof of concept for square foot gardening. The idea that I could grow a dozen different kinds of plants in a space that small was pretty eye-opening. And just about everything turned out, albeit some things (tomatoes) better than others (carrots).

Year two, I was a little more confident. But that confidence was completely shattered when most of my seedling starts failed and I had to buy seedlings from the farmers market. Having said that, once I got over the idea that I wasn't raising everything from seed, the farmers market plants worked out great... and it's not like I was buying plants from Walmart. I added a Compost Wizard Jr. and started making compost and added a small herb area. I also experimented with combining the square foot concept with a traditional Native American planting scheme called three sisters in which beans, corn and squash are grown in proximity. The corn, of course, was problematic, so it really wound up being more of a two sisters arrangement.
johnbmarek
johnbmarek

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/29/2014, 9:38 am

Hi John.  Welcome!  I'll be in class with you.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  johnbmarek 3/29/2014, 11:01 pm

Nice to meet you, Marie, in the virtual,sense.
johnbmarek
johnbmarek

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Hello from Huntersville, North Carolina Empty Welcome

Post  Windmere 3/30/2014, 12:17 pm

Welcome John.  I have learned a great deal from folks participating in this forum.  I've side stepped quite a few possible mistakes by reading the experiences here.  I wish you much success.  Your cause is wonderful and I'm sure reading information here will make you that much more successful.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  johnbmarek 4/2/2014, 1:22 pm

Thanks, Windmere. I hope to get a lot from the class, and from interacting with you all on the forum.
johnbmarek
johnbmarek

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down