Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
This is what I did in the garden today Toplef10This is what I did in the garden today 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

This is what I did in the garden today I22gcj10This is what I did in the garden today 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
This is what I did in the garden today Toplef10This is what I did in the garden today 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

This is what I did in the garden today I22gcj10This is what I did in the garden today 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

This is what I did in the garden today

+10
Windmere
southern gardener
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
JustMe
quiltbea
Marc Iverson
camprn
Cajunsmoke14
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This is what I did in the garden today Empty This is what I did in the garden today

Post  Cajunsmoke14 Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Good evening all,

I had a busy day today in the garden, I built a tomato bed, and planted 8 of those little buggers.

This is what I did in the garden today IMG_1736_zpsd70f7f93

I built a bean trellis out of recycled red oak that I was given by a flooring manufacturer.

This is what I did in the garden today IMG_1738_zpsbdcbc798

And last but not least, I planted a tomatillo.

This is what I did in the garden today IMG_1739_zpsde1c9572
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

This is what I did in the garden today Empty Re: This is what I did in the garden today

Post  camprn Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Nice work Cajun. Just an FYI, you need at least two tomatillos to have the required cross pollination for fruit production.

http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-tomatillos/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

This is what I did in the garden today WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

This is what I did in the garden today Empty Re: This is what I did in the garden today

Post  Marc Iverson Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:51 pm

I love your bean machine! Very nice and also practical looking.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks Marc, the trellis came out good; also thanks for the advise camp, I didn't know you need 2 tomatilloes.
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:07 pm

Good for you.  It's all lookin' really good.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:07 pm

Cajunsmoke14 wrote:Thanks Marc, the trellis came out good; also thanks for the advise camp, I didn't know you need 2 tomatilloes.
I remember being quite surprised when I too learned that fact.  Wink 

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

This is what I did in the garden today WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:01 am

That's a fabulous trellis!

Last year, I had to run back to the store for another tomatillo plant b/c I didn't know two were needed. (I was hoping the neighboring tomatoes would be enough but bought another plant just to be safe.)
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:11 am

I didn't know about the tomatillos needing 2 either until I read it on the forum before I started my seedlings...thank goodness for you all!

LOVE your trellis and bean bed!! cant wait to see it all full of beans  Very Happy what are the beans your planning on growing?

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:52 am

The beans are called Cherokee Trail of Tears, these are the beans my dad always planted.
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 am

Really nice, Cajunsmoke!  Looks like everyone should be very happy.

How do the Cherokee's taste?  They're on my list...  Thanks.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 am

I really can't answer the taste question. To me they taste like a green bean, I just don't know,
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:12 pm

I love those long thin beds!! Are they 2 by 10?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:27 pm

oh man, I didn't know about the two tomatillo plants either? Why do they sell them in singles? dang it. I've already planted all around my plant too. they should put that on the "sale sticker" or sell two at a time Sad
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:35 pm

SG, I was able to squash  2 adult tomatillos together last year late summer.  You can probably stick another one right up next to your original now if you want to. They grow like weeds! And don't seem to mind being interrupted at any time.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:SG, I was able to squash  2 adult tomatillos together last year late summer.  You can probably stick another one right up next to your original now if you want to. They grow like weeds! And don't seem to mind being interrupted at any time.

CC

thank you CC. I looked at the tag, and no mention of having two....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Back to the store!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

This is what I did in the garden today Empty Good to know

Post  Windmere Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:08 pm

camprn wrote:Nice work Cajun. Just an FYI, you need at least two tomatillos to have the required cross pollination for fruit production.

http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-tomatillos/
Thanks for this post camprn.  I was toying with the idea of planting tomatillos.  We are Hispanic and tomatillo sauces are a staple in our household (especially for chicken enchiladas).  I would have assumed that one plant is enough for fruit.  Also, I would have assumed that fruit production per plant is much more than it really is.  Given the rate at which we consume tomatillos, the farmer's market is a better option for us.  I'm really glad I was scanning the recent posts.

Cajun, you did some beautiful work.  Job well done.

Southern Gardner, I am VERY surprised your plant tag left out that you need at least two plants for fruit.  Sheesh!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 am

If it wasn't for this Forum, I wouldn't have known that it takes 2 tomatillos for fruits.  Last summer I had to run back to the store and buy a second one.  I loved the one fruit I finally ended up with!   Embarassed  (no bees to speak of)  This year, I sprouted pairs for 2 large pots.  My thanks to all the Forum members who help us Newbies.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21564

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Yours had tree-like canopies like mine did, rather than vined like tomatoes? For mine, even one plant's canopy took up way more space than half a 14-inch pot. More like three feet plus. Two of those canopies in 14 inches -- say, what? eight to ten inches to ten inches apart? would have been an absolute crush-fest.

Even if they survive, the reduced air circulation will make them far more vulnerable to both catching and spreading disease. And the need for water will be very intense. Those plants drink!

I definitely wish you luck in your experiment. It does strike me very much as an experiment rather than a way to increase fruit production, though. Those two plants might very well be, as Turan intimates, in a sort of death-match.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Marc,  I found a couple of photos but it is so hard to see the separate stems.  Here they are falling over onto the carrots and then back up again.
This is what I did in the garden today Carrot10
This photo shows the perched pot on the far, far right plus the plants growing wild.  I hadd to use sticks and green tape to keep them somewhat contained so I could squeeze by to get to the back of the box.
This is what I did in the garden today Back_y11

This year's pot (there will be two eventually) will have a good 3 foot area to sprawl and grow tall.  The 14" pot contains about 9 cu. ft. of MM and will have a thick layer of wood chips.  I am pushing the envelop on this planting to show the ability of MM.  Plus I'm such a darned optimist!   Very Happy  I have 74 sq. ft of boxes and 43 pots of various sizes and shapes and they are all filled with MM.  I wish DH would let me have a box on the large dead spot on the lawn.  We had to turn back the lawn sprinkler heads so they didn't over-spray into the beds.  The lawn suffered.  I will post photos of the success / failure of the tomatillo experiment later this summer.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am

sanderson wrote:Cajun,  I'm sorry we hijacked your post and turned it into a tomatillo topic.
There are a few threads on the forum on tomatillos and ground cherries if you want to move it over there.  It may be more helpful for those looking for current info.  Very Happy

Here's one:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8172-let-s-discuss-tomatillos?highlight=tomatillo

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
sanderson wrote:Cajun,  I'm sorry we hijacked your post and turned it into a tomatillo topic.
There are a few threads on the forum on tomatillos and ground cherries if you want to move it over there.  It may be more helpful for those looking for current info.  Very Happy

Here's one:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8172-let-s-discuss-tomatillos?highlight=tomatillo

CC
I'm splitting this thread. The tomatillo chat will be transferred to the link posted above.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks, Camp
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajunsmoke14 Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:28 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I love those long thin beds!! Are they 2 by 10?

CC
Thanks CC, they are 2X12
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Back to top Go down

Post  cj32769 Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Not exactly tomatillo's but one year I was not able to start from seed and had to buy plants. I had squash plants that were not producing; all from the same "flat". I ended up getting another "flat" from a different location and then all of them started putting out squash. I don't know if I had a flat of all female or all male or what but once I brought in the new plants everyone was happy.
cj32769
cj32769

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Squash should put out both male and female flowers. My first year, all I could see were males at first. Then, later in the season, the females showed up.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next