Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Toplef10How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? I22gcj10How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Toplef10How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? I22gcj10How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring?

+8
martha
fog
Turan
sanderson
Mikesgardn
gwennifer
camprn
jewlz2121
12 posters

Go down

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Empty How do YOU amend your garden in the spring?

Post  jewlz2121 3/20/2014, 1:04 pm

Happy Spring!  We are starting year 2 of our SFG. Last year, we were so successful and I attribute that to having a quality mix, as well as all the helpful hints I picked up from the lovely folks on this forum. I'm obviously hoping for similar results this year.  So how do you prep your garden to be ready to accept seeds and seedlings?  Do you just add some different composts?  Test ph first?  I've seen people online that add worm castings, blood and bone meal and call it done. I'm just not sure what all to add!

We cleared all the old plants out yesterday, and this weekend we are installing irrigation. However, I'm thinking that I need to add some goodies to the mix first.  We did add a truckload of compost in September that was supposed to aid our fall garden, but life happened and our fall garden never got planted.  Does winter affect the available nutrients in compost...is it better to have fresh instead?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!  sunny
jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Empty Re: How do YOU amend your garden in the spring?

Post  camprn 3/20/2014, 1:23 pm

A good quality homemade compost and fill the box to the brim, and give it a little fluff with a garden fork. That's what I do and all there is too it.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Empty Re: How do YOU amend your garden in the spring?

Post  gwennifer 3/20/2014, 1:29 pm

Yes winter affects the available nutrients in the compost. Definitely add fresh (finished) compost, minimum of one scoop per square just before planting each square, as recommended in the book.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/20/2014, 5:25 pm

As time progresses, you will notice that the soil surface drops. Just add compost to bring it back up to the original level and mix it in.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/20/2014, 8:58 pm

Ditto on adding some new compost every time you plant something. I added compost in the late fall when I cleaned the beds for winter, and a couple trowels per square this spring before planting.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/20/2014, 11:53 pm

I think a bit about what was planted where and how it went. So the general rule is add more good compost and mix it into the top a bit. Beyond that there is the eye of the grower.
Leafy greens need more nitrogen than root crops. So I am sure to go heavy on the stronger composts where they will be. I usually do not add much compost or pretty mellow stuff where I will grow root crops. A spot that had a heavy feeder growing on it last season might need a bit extra for this year.

I do not do soil testing unless something seemed out of whack last season.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Empty Amendments

Post  fog 3/21/2014, 12:31 am

I have a deal worked out with my garden buddies--- the worms. I don't take them fishing and they do all my composting & etc. Last fall I unearthed 21 worms of varying sizes in one standard spade full of soil. So I simply top up each of my grow beds with leaves & grass clipings a couple times. Then sit back and let my guys do the rest. Works for me!
fog
fog

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 3/21/2014, 11:14 am

Funny, but very on target, post, Fog!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 3/23/2014, 12:09 am

I add homemade compost into the squares when planting, like the book mentions. If the soil level drops significantly, it can't be fluffed up, and I don't have enough homemade compost, then I go to the store and buy the 5 different types of compost to bring up the levels.

Last year, I added worm tubes into the SFG.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/23/2014, 8:22 am

I dump a layer of homemade (or commercial if I don't have enough homemade) compost to the boxes and then turn it in with a shovel. Not as hard as it sounds because of the light nature of MM. I do it once at the beginning of the season and that is it.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/23/2014, 9:54 am

Same here.  Add fresh compost and fluff it up.
 Before it's time to remove the tarps, I also try to keep up with removing large heavy puddles off the tarps from melted snow, ice, plus rain.  I don't want the good stuff squeezed out the bottom while compacting the remaining mix!   So I cut off the bottom of a gallon milk jug for a free, large scoop.  Has a nice handle and it prevents getting splashed in the process.   Mel doesn't say to remove the puddles in his books, but it makes sense (well, to me)  to do everything to preserve the mix. Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

How do YOU amend your garden in the spring? Empty Re: How do you amend or garden in spring

Post  Boz 3/23/2014, 2:01 pm

I add compost to almost fill each square then add about two cups of vermicompost to each square. During the growing season I top dress the heavy feeders with additional VC.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down