Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Toplef10Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) I22gcj10Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Toplef10Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) I22gcj10Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment)

+12
jim022659
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
Jenn-NOLA
GloriaG
camprn
jimmy cee
Marc Iverson
donnainzone5
Rick Seeger
landarch
16 posters

Go down

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Empty Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment)

Post  landarch 3/13/2014, 10:40 pm

Can you tell the clear winner?

Tomatillo and Tomato seedlings in Jiffy Peat Pellets on the left...tomato seedlings in NK Seed Starting Mix.

Had the same results last year.  My only complaint about Jiffy is that the refill pellets are just as expensive as buying a whole new kit (pellets, tray, clear lid)...doesn't make sense.

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Seed_d10

Also trying 16 oz clear cups from Walmart to pot-up seedlings this year (holes drilled in bottom).
Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Tomati10
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Empty RE: SEED STARTING MIX VS. JIFFY PEAT PELLETS (EXPERIMENT)

Post  Rick Seeger 3/16/2014, 4:20 pm

Very interesting results!  I did a similar experiment using Burpee 'Super seed growing pellets' and vermiculite.  With my Salvia and Petunias it was a dead heat - all plants have germinated (in 4 1/2 days from planting with light and bottom heat).  My tomatoes also seem to prefer the pellets Sweet Baby Girl cherry, Seedless Hybrid, and Wisconsin 55.  So far no call as to what my peppers prefer - only one sprout at this point.  I think next year I will run the same side by side and maybe try Mel's Mix vs. pellets.  I also like the idea of the clear plastic cups for potting up transplants - much less expensive than plant pots!
   Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 3170584802
Rick Seeger
Rick Seeger

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Empty Re: Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment)

Post  donnainzone5 3/16/2014, 5:03 pm

I've tried peat pellets in the past.  In my experience, they don't degrade in the garden, leaving the roots [size=12.727272033691406]snarled up and reluctant to grow.  [/size]

On the other hand, starting seeds in vermiculite (even coarse) has been successful for me.  

See what works for you!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Empty Re: Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment)

Post  Marc Iverson 3/16/2014, 7:41 pm

I had very poor results with Jiffy pellets last year. And I guess pretty much universally, the wrapping around the outside of the pellets did not biodegrade. Generally that didn't do good things for the root balls, keeping them small and the plant small too. Just today I dug up another pellet in the garden from last year. Still intact, the undegraded wrapping binding it thoroughly.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/16/2014, 10:30 pm

Mel's Mix for me wins
I tried it with everything and it sure is a winner IMO
Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Seed_s13
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/16/2014, 10:31 pm

Nice Jimmy!
 okay 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Empty Seed starting mix vs. Jiffy peat pellets (experiment)

Post  GloriaG 3/16/2014, 11:38 pm

Hi landarch,

I use Jiffy Peat Pellets all the time because I've had really good results with them. 

To the cost of replacement pellets down, I shop eBay.  Last year, I splurged and bought 1,000 pellets for about $95 ($0.095 each).  But they're available in any volume you need.  Usually at a good price. 

FWIW, to prevent the roots from "circling" and avoid having non-biodegradable mesh in the garden, I remove the little covering before planting.  It's really easy to do, and if the pellets are handled carefully the peat stays together so the roots don't get disturbed at all.  (Much like planting soil blocks.)

Hope this helps,
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/16/2014, 11:42 pm

I'm glad you had better results than I did. When I tore off the binding prior to planting, it tended to tear off some roots while I was trying to preserve some others. When I left it on, it never went away. Maybe I'm just cursed with the things.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) Empty Seed starting mix vs. Jiffy peat pellets (experiment)

Post  GloriaG 3/17/2014, 2:44 am

Hi Marc,

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. 

FWIW: I pot-up into 3" peat pots of MM when the seedlings are fairly small.  To remove the mesh binding, I use a small pair of scissors to clip the mesh near roots that have worked their way through.  Haven't really had too much trouble with it.  Its a very quick job and the plants seem to handle the transplant well.  (BTW: I also purchase peat pots on Bay at under $0.10 each, so my total cost is very low per plant.)

I haven't tried transplanting the pellets directly into the garden, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Good luck,
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/18/2014, 10:48 am

My experience has been that the peat pellets are packed full of wonderful roots...and I transplant into 3" pots or plastic cups right when the roots reach the fabric.  If the moisture content is spot on, the pellet stays in tact while pulling off the fabric (I pull apart at the seam).

In addition, if I need to consolidate seedlings into a single tray, the pellets with seedlings can be easily moved around.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenn-NOLA 3/29/2018, 2:24 pm

Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 2018-011
Do these tomato plants look stunted from the roots being all balled up? Just remove the netting before planting, as instructed. I've had great results with the Jiffy Peat Pots. Nearly 100% germination on tomatoes at 70% on peppers (but the pepper germination suffered once I opened the top to let the tomatoes grow).

Last edited by Jenn-NOLA on 3/29/2018, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo didn't upload)
Jenn-NOLA
Jenn-NOLA

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2018, 3:19 am

Jenn, They look good to me. Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/30/2018, 7:36 am

Hi Jenn-NOLA. Welcome from Atlanta, GA.

I agree with Sanderson - they look fine.

I have used peat pellets with good success. I just hate spending the $ on them when I have MM around. So I'm using MM in red solo cups at this point.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/30/2018, 11:09 am

I plant everything in Jiffy Pellets. Sometimes the plants outgrow them before time to plant outside, so I transplant them into peat pots. I hate transplanting, so I don't use plastic. I want to be able to plant the whole thing without digging out the plant. I don't mind finding old Jiffy Pellets in the dirt -- I reuse them -- cuts the expense by about 50%.  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jim022659 5/7/2018, 8:07 pm

I'm getting away from those pellets this yaer. I always remove the netting because it seems to root bound them. this year I tried peat pots. yaaaa no. they dry out super wuick. gonna look into those soil blocks you make at home.
jim022659
jim022659

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/7/2018, 9:27 pm

Peat pots here.  And if I start things in there, it is melons, squash, cukes.  They are expensive.

I up-pot maters and peppers in re-useable plastin4 inch pots...just did that today.

Never used the pellets.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/7/2018, 9:35 pm

jim022659 wrote:I'm getting away from those pellets this yaer. I always remove the netting because it seems to root bound them. this year I tried peat pots. yaaaa no. they dry out super wuick. gonna look into those soil blocks you make at home.
I prefer soil blocks.  Really you are making a jiffy pellet, but with nutrients in it, with no outer mesh.  Transplanting is easy, no root circling or binding or mesh.  But I still have some pellets around, I keep forgetting to use them up.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/8/2018, 7:42 am

Turan wrote:
jim022659 wrote:I'm getting away from those pellets this yaer. I always remove the netting because it seems to root bound them. this year I tried peat pots. yaaaa no. they dry out super wuick. gonna look into those soil blocks you make at home.
I prefer soil blocks.  Really you are making a jiffy pellet, but with nutrients in it, with no outer mesh.  Transplanting is easy, no root circling or binding or mesh.  But I still have some pellets around, I keep forgetting to use them up.

Turan, I have a couple of those soil block tools but I can never get my soil block to stay in one piece.  I tried making the mixture but I know there is something missing that I cannot seem to locate and I think it may be greensand.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/8/2018, 11:00 am

Kelejan, green sand is a fertilizer of trace minerals, as a sand it would make the soil blocks more likely to fall apart.  If the mix is not holding well, I add more peat.  Make sure the peat is fully hydrated before you start squeezing blocks.  Make sure the form is very full of mix and packed in tightly, I squish it with my hand to make sure.  What you want is that block to be compressed fairly tightly against the pan when you push the form off it.  You are basically making Jiffy pellets with out the mesh and not nearly as compressed as even a hydrated pellet is, so it is going to be more fragile. 
I press them out directly onto the pan and then seed them and put the pan on the heat pad.
Good luck  Seed Starting Mix vs. Jiffy Peat Pellets (experiment) 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/8/2018, 12:34 pm

Thank you, Turan.  I will give it another go. I know the two blockmakers are around somewhere.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/11/2018, 12:52 pm

Green sand is an ingredient in the "official" soil block recipe...it's too expensive for my liking so I skip it.

This year I tried to save money and buy a cheaper peat pellet...100% fail...I let a tray of them soak overnight and they did not hydrate and expand...I had to "expand" them by hand...later, all seedlings died like there was something toxic in the pellet.

Anyway, had snow what seems like just a few weeks ago...and now 90 degree + heat with wind...sugar snap peas drooping a bit during the day.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Nikko 5/13/2018, 7:35 pm

Your seed starting medium that works best for you will maintain proper moisture. All seeds need is water to begin life. Temperature plays a big roll in the process. I used jiffy pellets this year and they worked well. Just follow the directions and you’ll sprout seeds. 

You can easily sprout seeds in paper towels too
Nikko
Nikko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down