Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Toplef10potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 I22gcj10potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Toplef10potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 I22gcj10potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

no more potting soil for me

+14
walshevak
cpl100
plantoid
sanderson
CapeCoddess
LilGreenNewbie
gwennifer
Marc Iverson
landarch
melatops
GWN
Goosegirl
llama momma
jimmy cee
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Empty Re: no more potting soil for me

Post  jimmy cee 6/4/2014, 10:27 am

Mazzy
your so right in that gardening is a life time of learning, however what is good for me may not be right for you..
Just take the ideas here and use them as is or adjust them to your conditions r what you may like to do..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Empty Re: no more potting soil for me

Post  cpl100 6/4/2014, 10:53 am

Jimmy, you put holes in the bottoms of those yogurt cups, right?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2014, 2:11 pm

Jimmy,  I thought you were the one with the MM in hanging baskets!!  Yay!  Looking at the photos, I see you used the coir lining.  Didn't you also line the inside with weed fabric before filling with MM?

I had/have a hanging basket, but over the years the birds used the coir for their nests.  It was looking so ratty that I threw it away this spring and rebuilt with 2 layers of weed fabric.  Everything died!   Embarassed 

Off to rebuild the basket the right way!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/4/2014, 3:10 pm

cpl100 wrote:Jimmy, you put holes in the bottoms of those yogurt cups, right?
no holes, I remove the entire bottom rim, makes it much easier to remove the seedling when plantingI have some pics that show what I do with the scouring padpotting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Yogurt11
potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Yogurt12
potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Yogurt13
potting soil - no more potting soil for me - Page 2 Yogurt14
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/4/2014, 5:54 pm

Interesting, Jimmy...!  Do you have any problems with roots growing into the pads?

Also, what kind of nasturtiums are the ones from last year?  Very pretty pink.  I got some of the Empress of India nasturtiums from Burpee and am a bit unhappy at how orange-red they are vs. the deep red I was hoping for (and the picture intimates).  If anyone wants the rest of mine, PM me your address...

Mazzy - Relax!  Using bought stuff is fine!  I bought all sorts of plants this year.  But I'll save the seeds for next year.  (If you're going to save seeds, make sure you're planting heirlooms.)  Use this year to see how things grow in the beds.  I found out that I CAN'T plant 3 cabbages per square, lol!  And now that the 2 spaghetti squashes decided to grow, it should prove entertaining to the honeydew planted in the same square...  I already see lots of changes I'll make next year in getting ready for beans, etc.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/4/2014, 5:54 pm

Wow, that is complex!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/4/2014, 7:27 pm

Atlanta Marie,

From now on I'll have to ensure that I'm only growing Heirlooms.  Learning how to save their seeds will be another learning curve altogether.  I got lots of education ahead of me.

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Male Posts : 69

http://www.woodworkwonders.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/4/2014, 9:07 pm

Yeah, they've found that using seeds from hybrids doesn't produce the same item.  They "revert" back more to the grandparent seeds.

Baker Creek Heirlooms is a good source.  They've got a free catalog they'll send you.  I know lots of folks use Seed Savers Exchange too.

Cpl - who are you talking to?  I'm guessing it's Jimmy.  But if it works...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/4/2014, 9:18 pm

Yes, Jimmy!  That looks like a lot of cutting and, well....work!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/4/2014, 9:50 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Interesting, Jimmy...!  Do you have any problems with roots growing into the pads?

Also, what kind of nasturtiums are the ones from last year?  Very pretty pink.  I got some of the Empress of India nasturtiums from Burpee and am a bit unhappy at how orange-red they are vs. the deep red I was hoping for (and the picture intimates).  If anyone wants the rest of mine, PM me your address...

Mazzy - Relax!  Using bought stuff is fine!  I bought all sorts of plants this year.  But I'll save the seeds for next year.  (If you're going to save seeds, make sure you're planting heirlooms.)  Use this year to see how things grow in the beds.  I found out that I CAN'T plant 3 cabbages per square, lol!  And now that the 2 spaghetti squashes decided to grow, it should prove entertaining to the honeydew planted in the same square...  I already see lots of changes I'll make next year in getting ready for beans, etc.
roots into the pads...YES....however when I up plant or transplant them I cut it back anyway, to about 2/3rds of the cup.
If nothing has grown down that far, just remove the pad and plant..
Whirlybird mix from Twilley's seeds, I knew absolutely nothing about them, they just did well for me
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 6/4/2014, 9:58 pm

cpl, but it's just one time work, the cups are free, you keep them out of the landfill and they're reusable...just wash and refill. But that being said, what works for one doesn't always work for another. You will have to find what works best for you, there's lots of different options.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/5/2014, 10:16 am

TxGramma wrote:cpl, but it's just one time work, the cups are free, you keep them out of the landfill and they're reusable...just wash and refill. But that being said, what works for one doesn't always work for another. You will have to find what works best for you, there's lots of different options.
yes, one must enjoy yogurt though...LOL
The pads were just laying around in boxes, I found some at a flea market 25 years ago and just had to have them..
Now their going to good use.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2