Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance Toplef10Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance I22gcj10Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance Toplef10Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance I22gcj10Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by arussman Today at 6:08 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance

+4
Scorpio Rising
charmag
camprn
rabbithutch
8 posters

Go down

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance Empty Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance

Post  rabbithutch 3/1/2014, 7:52 pm

OK, Folks!

I am going to undertake an ambitious project and I need your help.  I want to develop a compendium of different software resources for planning, planting, harvesting, and maintaining a garden.  I plan to investigate and try each item and evaluate it against a set of conditions and factors to try to make some sense out of the hodgepodge.

From searching the forum, I've been to several sites that work through a browser client.  I have a personal bias against having my information stored on the host's server instead of on my hard drive; however, I will try to rate these offerings in addition to any I find that run on my (or your) system exclusively.

My first step is to post this topic asking for your input listing software you have used and or that which you know about but have not yet used.  Please post back in this topic with your input.  I will revisit over the next few weeks to gather results.  When I feel that I have enough candidates, I will post a poll asking for feedback on who uses what so that I can try to assess the popularity of each program.  That will give me a marching order for my own trial and analysis of them.  At the end of the process, I hope to have a matrix of features available in each program and a brief discussion of my experience using them. 

TIA
 Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance 3170584802
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance Empty Re: Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance

Post  camprn 3/1/2014, 8:07 pm

Have you found the previous thread about such things? I found several threads about planners, but I'm not really sure what you are doing and what info would be valuable.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t590-garden-planning-software?highlight=planner

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance Empty Re: Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance

Post  rabbithutch 3/1/2014, 9:09 pm

Thanks, camp!

I'm still mining the forum for references to gardening software.  I had hopes that a popular champion had already been found, but I'm yet to see that. 

As for what I want to do, the plan is to do a survey then a personal trial and then an article describing my experiences.  It will not be a short term effort.  I expect that I will work on this for a number of months before it's done (assuming that I don't lose interest or have the effort superseded by other windmills to tilt at.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/1/2014, 9:15 pm

LOL! Awesome! and good luck.... What a Face 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Software for Garden Planning, Planting, Harvesting, and Maintenance WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  charmag 12/30/2015, 11:50 pm

Did you ever figure out what is the best and second best gardening software?
charmag
charmag

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/31/2015, 8:37 am

Mother Earth News has an online version of an interactive veg garden planner. It isn't SFG minded, but it is free. But also is not "software" rather a shared online application. Price is right however!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8719

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/31/2015, 8:50 am

Hello Charmag! Welcome to our party from Atlanta, GA! You've picked a great time since it's the new year.

Lots of friendly folks with good advice here. We love to gab & share pictures.

What are your garden plans?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charmag 12/31/2015, 12:59 pm

Thank you.  Can you post a link to the Free "mother earth news" planner?   The only one I saw costs $25/year and is the same as growveg. 

http://www.motherearthnews.com/garden-planner/vegetable-garden-planner.aspx

I have 5 4x4 raised beds and might want to build a few more.   Not sure the plans this year, I was looking for an online tool to help me manage that Smile

Thanks!
charmag
charmag

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/31/2015, 3:22 pm

Sorry, you are right!   Only free for 7 days!  Here is a free one that I found, not bad!

http://www.smallblueprinter.com/garden/planner.html
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8719

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 12/31/2015, 3:37 pm

Has anyone else noticed that the Gardeners planner isn't working?  Sad  I've used this for at least 4 years now.  I'm not sure what I'll use if it doesn't start working soon.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  charmag 12/31/2015, 4:16 pm

I emailed the company about the Gardeners Planner and the support said they thought it would be up shortly but didn't give me a date.   It might be worth others emailing so they know it is important.   Is it a good tool to use for SFG planning?
charmag
charmag

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/1/2016, 8:49 am

You might check Johnny's Seeds:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-pdgseedstart.aspx?source=W_InteractiveTools_122014
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/1/2016, 3:00 pm

happy hi Hi Charmag. It looks like we joined about the same time!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 1/2/2016, 10:30 am

I've been using a general purpose drawing program, like Illustrator or (free/open-source) Inkscape.  These are locally-run programs that don't rely on "the cloud", and your work is saved on your local hard drive.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum