Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Toplef10Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC I22gcj10Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Toplef10Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC I22gcj10Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC

+6
Turan
camprn
NAR56
boffer
quiltbea
Pitch
10 posters

Go down

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Empty Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC

Post  Pitch 2/21/2014, 12:24 pm

How many plants are the ideal number for a 275 gal tote?
Pitch
Pitch

Back to top Go down

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Empty Re: Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2014, 12:48 pm

I think your number must be wrong.
In any case, an Indeterminate needs lots of food to grow so I wouldn't plant less than 1 for every 2 square feet of soil space.  Some would take a chance with less space, but they'd have to feed the soil well during its season.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Empty Re: Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC

Post  boffer 2/21/2014, 1:27 pm

This is a 275 gal IBC tote.
Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Ibc

Did you cut one up to make boxes?  

Keep your plants pruned, and indeterminate tomatoes will do fine planted 1 per square foot.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2014, 2:52 pm

I stand corrected.  Thanks boffer.  I never saw such a thing before.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 2/21/2014, 3:49 pm

I use one of these to catch rain water for my garden. I use a sump pump attached to a garden hose for watering. Garden just loves rain water over tap water.
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/21/2014, 4:27 pm

quiltbea wrote: I wouldn't plant less than 1 for every 2 square feet of soil space.  Some would take a chance with less space, but they'd have to feed the soil well during its season.
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitch 2/21/2014, 8:28 pm

I would think that one plant per container would give outstanding results with so much area for the plants root system to grow and sustain outstanding production? 
I am using two of the 275 Gallon IBC's to catch and contain rain water (one at each end of a 60x40 foot steel building) with a 12 volt timer and solenoid controlled solar powered pump system for drip irrigation.  The actual inside dimensions after removing the complete top of the IBC totes are as follows:  48" L x 35"W x34" deep. With Mel's mix and a little tender loving care the 15 containers with 10 foot tall cages that I have already constructed should hopefully produce a bumper crop of tomatoes this summer?
However, I am still not certain if I could possibly gain a bigger yield by planting two (2) tomatoes instead of one per container?  To me; this seems likes an overcrowding condition taht would produce nice plants, but less actual fruit production????

If anyone has experimented with using these type totes without the fish or worms that seem to be all the rage for these type containers, I would appreciate any input?  I am not interested in the extra labor and expense involved of caring for and feeding fish or worms...I just want to use good, healthy, friable soil (Mel's mix) with plenty of water, sun and organic fertilizer added as required...    
Pitch
Pitch

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/22/2014, 12:27 am

With those dimensions, you are talking an SFG of 4 ft by 3 ft and plenty deep. 
You could easily put 6 tomato plants in that thing.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/22/2014, 1:59 am

Make sure it drains so you do not make a swamp.

I grew in a cold frame of those dimensions 6 determinate tomatoes and picked lots of fruit but 4 would of meant less crowding.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/22/2014, 7:00 am

Pitch, the fact is with square foot gardening you truly only need 6"-8" of growing medium known as Mel's mix. The volume of that container is simply excessive for your needs. I would plant an indeterminate tomato plant every other foot. The plants will need a sturdy trellis.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/22/2014, 7:15 am

NAR56 wrote:I use one of these to catch rain water for my garden. I use a sump pump attached to a garden hose for watering. Garden just loves rain water over tap water.

Accurate statement...very noticeable after a nice rain
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitch 2/22/2014, 9:33 am

Sounds as if I should cut the totes and cages in half which would give me a total depth per container of approximately 18 inches and double the number of growing containers with approximately 7 sq ft or 18 cu ft for each .  
I am only interested in the maximum amount of fruit yield per plant and I'm still somewhat reluctant to plant more than one per container.
It doesn't make sense to me to plant two or more plants per container if the total output and yield of fruit does not increase proportionally or might actually even have a negative consequence?
If someone has expert experience with expected yields based on number of plants I sure would appreciate your input.one
Otherwise, I'll have to waste a precious growing season and do my own experiments...
Thanks again for sharing your expertise and knowledge...
Pitch
Pitch

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/22/2014, 9:55 am

More plants mean more fruit, unless the plants are crowded. There are many other variables beyond the size of the root system involved in regard to achieving maximum viable fruit output.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/069BCD8F-9469-4843-9CF9-C4A7921BCED3/58635/1902tomatoesHIGHRES1.pdf

For expert advice please contact your local county Cooperative Extension Service Agricultural Agent.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/22/2014, 2:09 pm

Total yield per planting and total yield per plant are different things when applied to the same amount of growing area. The balance is to find how many plants you can grow as well as you can in your circumstances to maximize yield. The answer is different for every garden and gardener and year because there is a huge amount of variables, even when using MM. There are general guidelines but they are just that, general.

Some of those variables are determinants vs in-determinants. Which varieties? And then with IDs how much pruning you do. What are the diseases most problematic in your area and what preventive practices help?

Root space needed by all of them is right in the 12"-18" diameter range. Top growth varies hugely in accordance with variety and horticultural practices.

For experts do as Camprn suggests and call an extension office.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/22/2014, 2:20 pm

One of the totes as pictured above, would hold over 1 square yard of MM. That's a lot of money for 1 or 2 tomato plants.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/23/2014, 1:56 am

Are you asking about the amount of vine space or the amount of root space needed for a good yield.  Based on the dimension of the container, I would plant 8 tomatoes (4 per side) and 4 basil plants down the middle in the container.  BUT it is WAY too deep.  Believe me you don't need that much MM.  If you are feeling very generous and just will not believe a tomato will grow in 6" of MM then at the most I would go 8"  

Here is a picture of 2 indeter tomatoes plus 2 basil plants in two 5 gal buckets.  This picture was taken on 10/2/2012 and I was gone for 2 1/2 months during mid summer so the plants were not pruned starting at about the curve of the cattle panel.  They went nuts and tried to take over  the box next to the panel as well as over the top of the panel.  You can see from the number of ripening fruit that the yield was great.

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Dscn1211

On the other hand here is a picture taken 8/24/2013 of my tomato tunnel mix of cherry, regular and beefsteak sized fruit.  Two cattle panels with 4 indeter tomatoes in buckets on the back panel and 7 on the front panel. Cantaloupe were on the other side of the back panel.  These were pruned properly to 2 main stems.  I gave away, ate, froze, roasted and canned tomatoes until Oct.  Again, each bucket had 1 tomato and 1 basil plant in it.  Mid season I top dressed with more compost.

Indeterminate caged tomato plants per IBC Dscn1610

And the buckets are only about 3/4 full of MM.  

So you can cut your container in half, putting about 7" (8" if you have the money)of MM and plant about 1 plant around the outside edges of the container ever foot or so and if there is space in the middle a few basil plants.  Tomatoes seem to like growing with basil. That's all you need.   Rig up some trellis and GROW.   Or use the container for water and plant in beds or buckets.  Oh the possibilities.  I can even see taking the container out and using the sides as a trellis.

Pictures taken from the south side of the plants.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/23/2014, 3:14 am

walshevak wrote:
 I can even see taking the container out and using the sides as a trellis.

Kay

Kay, Good use of the caging! The bin can be cut so the top and bottom can be used as shallow beds (with holes punch in their bottoms 0. Then the left over middle section can be used like a large tractor tire for a third bed. Maybe heavy bricks holding the sides from spreading out. Only a SFG sees so many uses in ordinary or unusal items. Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Pitch 2/23/2014, 11:17 am

Thanks to all for sharing your valuable insights about SFG...
Perhaps I should clarify that I have grown raised bed gardens (in the 80's) and planted 4 tomato plants in plastic drums back in 2004, but I have never experimented with such a small amount of soil.  I have however always made soil preparation my number one priority and consideration after determining the ideal place for planting reference sun, shade, drainage and etc, along with wind consideration(we have plenty of wind where I live and things have to be tied down...so, I have always had fairly good success with my gardens in the past...
I cannot plant over existing soil and all my growing containers must be placed on a concrete parking - storage area behind my building. (Good south exposure) 
All the plastic totes are actually constructed on a self contained pallet and I have a fork lift, so that will make moving them easy.
I have decided to actually cut the totes and cages in half and plant two tomato plants per container spaced diagonally in opposing corners for better sun saturation for each plant.  I will place the other half of a tote container with cage and screw to a wooden pallet so I can still use the forklift and this will help keep the strong winds from blowing it all down the block.    
I just hauled in 5000 pounds of beautiful compost yesterday and I found 4 cu ft bags of Course Vermiculite at an extremely good price... 
I probably won't completely fill each container (18"depth) since everyone has convinced me less is best with the right mix and this will cut down on the initial expense and time of mixing such large volumes and I’ll just add compost and mulch during the course of the entire growing season. 
Has anyone experimented with using a larger electric concrete mixer to mix and make the blend?  This seems like it would work well, especially if one needs a large quantity of mix.  This is what I plan on using and I can then lift the entire mixer over each cage and tote container after blending and easily dump into each tote and cut down on the shovel ready job.  (smile?)  I am using #10 concrete wire mesh for cages…
I will post a few pics of the 4 tomato plants I experimented with growing in plastic containers in 2004.  I picked thousands of tomatoes from these 4 plants and actually kept two of them alive all winter by placing inside my building under skylights and moving them outside during the warmer days  (we had a very rare mild winter)….
Thanks again for all the input.      

Pitch
Pitch

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/23/2014, 11:56 am

A concrete mixer makes for easy MM mixing. Keep the hose handy as it gets a bit dusty.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/23/2014, 12:28 pm

And I got rid of my concrete mixer..... Sad 
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/23/2014, 3:16 pm

Concrete mixers are used by several forum members. Wish I had one when I was doing my boxes!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down