Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A Toplef10Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A I22gcj10Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A Toplef10Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A I22gcj10Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A

3 posters

Go down

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A Empty Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A

Post  graygabriel 2/15/2014, 8:30 pm

Hello,
I live in Redwood Valley, CA. One hour north of Santa Rosa, CA.
I love to garden especially square foot. Don't know an awful lot
but I am learning!. Would like to plant fava beans this year. Does anyone
know how many seeds to a square foot. 10 inches deep? I am thinking one seed
to a square?
2nd question. Bought a product called base substrate (expensive!) Put in two bales (4 cu feet) each. I am planning to add Home Depots Patio Plus. What do you think? Did I do good? Haven't added the Patio Plus (I'm afraid to!). So right now I have a 4x4 raised bed with this base substrate in it. It says on the bale that it contains peat moss and, perlite and no fertilizer.
PLEASE ADVISE!!!!! Embarassed
graygabriel

Back to top Go down

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A Empty Re: Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A

Post  Goosegirl 2/15/2014, 10:32 pm

glad you\'re here Graygabriel! I am originally from Ukiah, just minutes from you! Do you have the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet? If not, get it as soon as you can. It will give you the details on mixing up your box filler and for the spacing. I have not used the Kellogg before, but make sure you check the full list of ingredients so you can get your ratio right. If it has a lot of peat, you will need to account for that in your blend. There are also plenty of ranches and farms out there - if you know someone who raises some critters, you may be able to score some free manure.

For the Favas, check the spacing on the seed package. If it says 12" spacing, one per square, 6" - 4 per, 4" - 9 per, 3" - 16 per.

What else are you planning besides the Fava Beans?

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A Empty Re: Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A

Post  sanderson 2/15/2014, 11:37 pm

Gabriel, Welcome to the Forum!  glad you\'re here 

I second what Goosegirl said. Read the book and you will understand more about the square foot gardening method.

I found that Kellogg products have a lot of peat. So, if you use it, you will have to adjust down the 1/3 fluffed peat part of Mel's Mix.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hello, I'm from Northern California zone 9A Empty thank you

Post  graygabriel 2/16/2014, 11:31 am

Thank you both for your speedy response! I thought I would have to wait for a couple of days!! Dug out Mels book and remembered the 1/3 rule! I was a bit confused with the base substrate which is peat moss and perlite. Mel said I can substitute perlite for vermiculite! Hooray! Now I have to dig out 1/3 the base substrate from the box and add the compost. In reading on the web I think Kellogg Patio Plus will be ok for a start. Whenever I plant in the 12" square, I will add one trowel of my home made compost. I have 9 other boxes that have regular garden soil. I have added Platinum Plus to these boxes over the last three years. Would it be better for me to do away with the garden soil and only use the mixture Mel suggests? Is there a big difference in the two? I'll try not to be so lengthy! My husband would be saying "land the plane" right about now! Laughing 
Goosegirl, I live off of Black Bart Trail.
I live off Black Bart Trail
graygabriel

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/16/2014, 1:50 pm

Gabriel, I started off using perlite because it was available in large 2-3 cu. ft. bags, therefore affordable. I found bulk vermiculite half way through so the next boxes had a mix. I now use only vermiculite. Bottom line, vermiculite is nicer but perlite will work fine for growing.

Actually, the multi-source compost is the base substrate of Mel's Mix, with the fluffed peat most and vermiculite / perlite mixed with it when first building the boxes. After the first crop is harvested, only the compost is added for the next crop. If you want to be a SFG purist, then only Mel's Mix is used, with compost added over the years.

Do you have 6" of head space left in the boxes? If so, you can put the new MM on top of it. If there's no space left, do you want to remove 6" of the existing box filler and add MM on the top? Do you want to add another 6" layer of wood framing to create the 6" for MM?

I think it is easy for a new gardener to start off as a purist than for an experienced gardener who has existing beds.

If you have other areas to dump the existing bed filling, you can try growing something else in that material. Add rotted manure or compost over it, cover with some wood chips. Look at the Back to Eden topic for non-SFG ideas.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/16/2014, 2:30 pm

graygabriel wrote:My husband would be saying "land the plane" right about now! Laughing 
Goosegirl, I live off of Black Bart Trail.
I live off Black Bart Trail

rofl rofl rofl Sounds like MY hubby!  

My brother and his family live on Road H!

Having gardened in your area, if you don't have much of a weed problem in those boxes I would recommend just adding one 6" board height to the top of your existing soil boxes and fill that area with Mel's Mix.  Your native soil is very fertile, but unless you have thoroughly amended it, it has a goodly clay content (ACK -the name RED Mountain is a big hint!).  Having the MM on top for a season or 2 will encourage lots of worm activity below in that garden soil to loosen it up more and will give you extra available depth later on for root crops like the bomber carrots my dad and I used to grow.  

One good thing about using the MM - NO ROCKS!!!  I remember sifting the entire garden area of our back yard when I was a kid - to a depth of 12" - to get rid of all the rocks for dad's garden.  We just dumped them over the back fence into the big field behind the house.  About 10 years later, that field was subdivided and a big housing development was put in.  OOPS!!! rofl Always felt guilty about our poor new neighbor's yard.  Embarassed 

GG

PS - I miss Zone 9A. I am now in Zone 4A!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down