Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Toplef10Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 I22gcj10Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Toplef10Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 I22gcj10Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix?

+10
Marc Iverson
martha
plantoid
sanderson
mapspringer
H_TX_2
boffer
tumtumsback
landarch
Shpigford
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Empty Re: Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix?

Post  sanderson 2/10/2014, 1:51 pm

Thanks, folks.  I thought about this after I posted.  I think it will be great for seedlings.  And I will use a little less volume for my final bed.  In the fall when I refresh the box, I will mix in a little more of the big stuff along withthe compost.  At least it is only a 2 x 2 box.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Empty Re: Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix?

Post  boffer 2/10/2014, 4:03 pm

OK, ya'll have convinced me to try something new just for the heck of it.  I was scheduled to start some seeds today, so I turned it into an experiment.

I've been satisfactorily starting seeds in 3¼ inch pots full of MM for a couple years.  That's what I'm starting with; the Sharpie is my dibble to create a 1 inch deep hole to fill with vermiculite.
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3721

3 broccoli, 3 cauliflower, 3 celery started in MM like always.
Then 3 of each planted in vermiculite in the MM.
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3722

The tray is now on a heat mat.

Here are the  same broc and cauli seeds that I planted a week ago  into MM.  
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3723
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 2/10/2014, 4:26 pm

boffer wrote:OK, ya'll have convinced me to try something new just for the heck of it.  I was scheduled to start some seeds today, so I turned it into an experiment.

I've been satisfactorily starting seeds in 3¼ inch pots full of MM for a couple years.  That's what I'm starting with; the Sharpie is my dibble to create a 1 inch deep hole to fill with vermiculite.
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3721

3 broccoli, 3 cauliflower, 3 celery started in MM like always.
Then 3 of each planted in vermiculite in the MM.
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3722

The tray is now on a heat mat.

Here are the  same broc and cauli seeds that I planted a week ago  into MM.  
Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3723

I am interested to see how the different methods turn out. My single planting without vermiculite was an after thought because I had one extra pot and just enough seed starting mix. The difference could be due to just about anything. Maybe I was ready to be done and didn't quite take the same care I did with the seeds I planted in the vermiculite. Maybe I was not paying as much attention and buried it deeper than the others. I only noticed a difference afterward and I don't recall the specifics of planting the seeds because I wasn't doing it to compare the difference.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/10/2014, 4:34 pm

H_TX_2 wrote:...My single planting without vermiculite was an after thought because I had one extra pot and just enough seed starting mix...

I've had the same after thoughts at times.  I complete a garden task, and only then do I think, 'Hey, this could've been a fun experiment if I had thought about it before I started'!    Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 3170584802
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/10/2014, 7:29 pm

Boffer, the SFG "canary."  If Bof says it works,  Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 2027012869 then we can all safely try it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 2/11/2014, 5:16 pm

See, this is what I love about you guys. I am glad that you follow the book, but remember, the book only came to because of lots of experimentation. We always encourage you guys to keep experimenting. Test new methods, compare with what works and see if you improve it. This method is the best we have been able to come up with at the moment, but that does not mean that there can't be new improvements. I love vermiculite, but it is a finite substance and not sustainable in the long term. I would to see everyone here try new ways to see who can come up with a system that is just as efficient (or even more so) and do it with more sustainable (and cheaper) materials! Keep up the good work guys
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/11/2014, 10:02 pm

sanderson wrote:Boffer, the SFG "canary."...

I like SFG, but not this much... :

rofl
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/12/2014, 12:16 am

Boffer the Canary LOL did you use fresh MM or some from your garden?

let me see if I understand, one set you used only MM to start the seeds in and the other set you used MM + made a hole in the middle of the MM and added vermiculite in that hole to plant in?

so far in our trials if we use MM from the garden, then we tend to bring in some critters with it  Razz the family ruled on this one...no more stepping on slugs

for spring our seed starting is in the house under lights...so we usually buy some organic potting mix for seed starting indoors....if we had bagged MM sold locally we would use it instead or if we are going to build new beds and need MM then we would use the left overs....other wise its not affordable for us to buy and make fresh MM for seed starting.....plus we have no where to mix it up in....its easier to buy it in bags for smaller amounts.....

Very Happy  look forward to the experiments from everyone!!  Very Happy 

happy gardening
rose...who is off to re-read this thread as she still doesn't understand the need for the extra vermiculite
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 2/12/2014, 10:12 am

Again I have to say I can't be certain about this because I was not looking for this all along like it was an experiment.

I looks like the one pot that only has seed starting mix has a thicker stem on the seedling. The other seedlings have been up for several days more than this one seedling so that could have something to do with it. The very first seed to sprout is very tall and very skinny. Maybe forcing the seedling to push through the dirt actually takes a little longer but gives you a stronger stem once the seedling it finally out. You don't get something for nothing and for every action there is a reaction.

Boffer, when you are doing this try to see if there is any difference in the stems from each batch after the sprout.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/17/2014, 9:58 pm

Update: 1 week

The broc seeds in vermiculite sprouted before the seeds in MM.

The cauli seeds in MM sprouted before the seeds in vermiculite.
  Cauli didn't sprout in one vermiculite pot.

The celery seeds are still sleeping.  I should have used something else.

Today there are minimal differences.

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3728

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3730

I haven't planted directly in vermiculite before.  I found that planting the small seeds into vermiculite was more difficult than into MM because I couldn't see them as well.  I ended up putting way too many seeds into the vermiculite.  These pics were taken after I thinned them.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/17/2014, 10:02 pm

I made my own MM, it looks so good I am going all the way, from seed to beds.
I know my compost is about the best there is.
After reading ingredients of potting soils and such, thats what I decided.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/18/2014, 5:34 pm

boffer wrote:Update:  1 week

The broc seeds in vermiculite sprouted before the seeds in MM.

The cauli seeds in MM sprouted before the seeds in vermiculite.
  Cauli didn't sprout in one vermiculite pot.

The celery seeds are still sleeping.  I should have used something else.

Today there are minimal differences.

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3728

Skip vermiculite seed sprouting and go straight to Mel's Mix? - Page 2 Dscn3730

I haven't planted directly in vermiculite before.  I found that planting the small seeds into vermiculite was more difficult than into MM because I couldn't see them as well.  I ended up putting way too many seeds into the vermiculite.  These pics were taken after I thinned them.
  The celery seeds in vermiculite..

They  can take 21 or more days to germinate and a few more to let you know they are there.
 Cover the container with a sheet of clean white paper so they get a defused light and the humidity is held constant .. What temperature are you trying to germinate them at ??
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2