Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Toplef10Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? I22gcj10Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Toplef10Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? I22gcj10Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG?

5 posters

Go down

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Empty Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG?

Post  cindgborgg 1/30/2014, 9:11 pm

I am new to SFG and excited to get started.  My husband is in the process of building it.  He decided to put Thompsons water seal on the plywood he does not think it is toxic or will leach into the soil.  I beg to differ but am not sure.  Does anybody know?
cindgborgg
cindgborgg

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Empty Re: Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG?

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2014, 11:20 pm

The main ingredient listed on its MSDS is Mineral Spirits - a toxin to the lungs and nervous system in its full strength, but in the amount in Thompson's it may not be an issue.

MSDS on pure mineral spirits says: "Products of Biodegradation:
Possibly hazardous short term degradation products are not likely. However, long term degradation products may arise."

But again, that is for 100% mineral spirits by weight, and Thompson's is 6% by weight. Yours to decide.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Empty Re: Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG?

Post  meatburner 1/30/2014, 11:29 pm

If you are worried, call them and have them give you the information.  That would be better than asking here.  Just my opinion.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Empty Thompsons water seal

Post  cindgborgg 1/30/2014, 11:32 pm

Thank you for your response.  I really do not like the idea but since my husband already put it on and does not want to redo.  Short term seems o.k. I guess for now.

Thank you,

Cindy
cindgborgg
cindgborgg

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 1/30/2014, 11:47 pm

Cindy, I have no issue with what you are doing.  I think you are just fine.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  Rahab222 1/31/2014, 12:06 am

Mel recommends Linseed Oil to treat your boards with.  However, it's sticky.  I did A LOT of research on this, in order to treat the boards on my raised bed garden lumber and the only suitable product I found was PURE Tung oil.  You can buy this at a paint store or they can order it for you.  I think I paid around $30 for a quart in Houston.  Linseed oil was cheaper and I found it at WalMart.  I decided not to use the Linseed Oil because I didn't want everything blowing in the wind to stick to it during our LONG, HOT summers.
Rahab222
Rahab222

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/31/2014, 12:10 am

Cindy, Is DH making the boxes out of plywood? Plywood will de-laminate when wet. It's used on the bottoms of table top boxes because it is strong, with sheets going up and down, and left and right. Make sure the plywood is formaldehyde-free for garden boxes. If he wants to coat the boxes, use UNBOILED linseed oil. My DH sometimes does more to a project than I originally ask him to do. Like he's building a house instead of chemical-free, organic as possible, garden structures.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Is Thompsons water seal safe to put on plywood bottom of SFG? Empty Thompson water seal

Post  cindgborgg 1/31/2014, 6:12 pm

I have to say my husband does go overboard sometimes on projects.  Like he wanted to make it easier for me and made raised beds so he put plywood on bottom and he sealed them. Now I know better solutions thanks to everyone's response.  I had a question on the plywood bottoms making the sheets go up and down and left and right I am not sure what that means, can you explain.

Thanks,

Cindy
cindgborgg
cindgborgg

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/1/2014, 1:45 am

Cindy,  If these are raised beds and he put plywood on the bottoms, it makes sense to me now.  He can cut a new, interior sheet of thinner plywood and set that one down on the sealed one.  That will provide a fairly good barrier.  Water will tend to go downward, not upward to the veggies.  Make sure there are little drainage holes drilled through both sheets.

Now let's see if I can describe plywood a little better than I did.  Plywood is made with thin sheets of wood, pressure glued together.  The grains of every other layer go in a perpendicular direction so the final project in uniformly strong in both directions.  Hope this helps.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Plywood.html
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  cindgborgg 2/1/2014, 2:57 pm

Thank you that makes sense now.

Cindy
cindgborgg
cindgborgg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down