Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 Toplef10Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 I22gcj10Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 Toplef10Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 I22gcj10Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wood chips??? what to do with these?

+6
southern gardener
Marc Iverson
meatburner
camprn
sanderson
jimmy cee
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wood chips??? what to do with these?

Post  FamilyGardening 2/25/2014, 11:37 pm

From what I have read and learned woodchips/mulch on top of soil/MM will not rob the soil of nutrition because the woodchips are not at the level of the plants roots.... as long as you don't mix the woodchips in with the soil/MM its not a problem.....

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wood chips??? what to do with these?

Post  camprn 2/25/2014, 11:43 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:From what I have read and learned woodchips/mulch on top of soil/MM will not rob the soil of nutrition because the woodchips are not at the level of the plants roots.... as long as you don't mix the woodchips in with the soil/MM its not a problem.....

happy gardening
rose
Wood chips may tie up rather than rob the nitrogen at the surface of the Mel's Mix. This could be a problem for shallow rooted plants. I would suggest that if using the wood chips in the vegetable growing bed, take care and watch for symptoms that the plants need to be fed.

Good luck.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/25/2014, 11:58 pm

camprn wrote:
FamilyGardening wrote:From what I have read and learned woodchips/mulch on top of soil/MM will not rob the soil of nutrition because the woodchips are not at the level of the plants roots.... as long as you don't mix the woodchips in with the soil/MM its not a problem.....

happy gardening
rose
Wood chips may tie up rather than rob the nitrogen at the surface of the Mel's Mix. This could be a problem for shallow rooted plants. I would suggest that if using the wood chips in the vegetable growing bed, take care and watch for symptoms that the plants need to be fed.

Good luck.

and if the MM is only 6 inch deep....I can see your point Camp  Very Happy 
Thanks!

Hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/25/2014, 11:59 pm

camprn wrote:

happy gardening
rose

Good luck.
Camp's right - and it's very easy to spot if it becomes an issue. It's one reason why we lay down a couple inches of a rich compost/manure mix before putting the mulch down and supplement with compost tea or other organic amendments if needed.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/26/2014, 12:04 am

yep I just responded to Camp.....6 inchs of MM is not very deep so I can see how it could become a problem.....all the research I have done so far was using compost and soil .....I forget that MM is not soil....so there maybe a difference on how the woodchips would react to the MM and how shallow the roots are in 6 inch of MM....

we do use the woodchips in our SFG beds and they do fine.....but there could be variables like we get a lot of rain ....that is different from some one who doesn't get as much.....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/26/2014, 2:58 am

I use plain wood chips as mulch.  When I replant, I remove 99.9% of them, add and mix in new compost, plant, and then replace the chips.  The only thing I'm doing new is that I am sprinkling a light layer of composted chicken manure before replacing the chips.  I can't use a sprinkle of blood meal because my cat goes bonkers over the smell.  I'll be using it in my new compost pile, instead.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/26/2014, 6:58 am

sanderson wrote:I use plain wood chips as mulch.  When I replant, I remove 99.9% of them, add and mix in new compost, plant, and then replace the chips.  The only thing I'm doing new is that I am sprinkling a light layer of composted chicken manure before replacing the chips.  I can't use a sprinkle of blood meal because my cat goes bonkers over the smell.  I'll be using it in my new compost pile, instead.
I bet that works pretty well. Very Happy 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Wood chips??? what to do with these? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/26/2014, 12:34 pm

Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/26/2014, 8:06 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:Jimmy....could you pour some of those woodchips out of the bucket and onto the ground or cement? to get a good look at what the mixture of your woodchips is  Very Happy give us a close up look

hope that helps
rose
I'm not able to photo them now, will do next week, it's all about the same tho
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2