Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Root cellars Toplef10Root cellars 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Root cellars I22gcj10Root cellars 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Root cellars Toplef10Root cellars 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Root cellars I22gcj10Root cellars 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Root cellars

2 posters

Go down

Root cellars Empty Root cellars

Post  R&R 1011 1/2/2014, 1:37 am

Anybody have a root cellar?  Can you tell me about them?

I searched the site and didnt really see anything about them.  Im googling and wondering if my basement is perfect for a root cellar.  In fact, when we moved in there were dried up bunches of onions hanging from the ceiling joists and flower bulbs in styrofoam coolers. Its unfinished, made up of a stone walls, crawl spaces, and half cement/ half dirt floor, and completely dark.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Root cellars Empty Re: Root cellars

Post  mollyhespra 1/2/2014, 9:53 am

AH! Your basement sounds perfect! How's the humidity & temps down there at this time of year? It would be a good winter to get some data in preparation for whatever you're going to be storing. Not everything likes it cool & damp. Some things like it cool & dry.

I don't have a root cellar myself, but it's on my wish-list for...sometime...in the future. We'll have to build an actual root cellar outside someplace if I want to have a dedicated space, which will be quite a project. I have some basement space that's good for a pantry & I have some cans, etc. down there, but this winter I'm keeping my onions, shallots, etc. and some squash in an upstairs room that's actually cooler than the basement, which is kept toastier than the upstairs by the woodstove.

I have a book I bought to learn about root cellars: Root Cellaring by Mike & Nancy Bubel which has been informative & useful. I didn't find much online. My suggestion is to go to your local library & see if they can get this book for you (there may be others, I'm just only familiar with this one).

Keep us posted, I'm curious to see what you come up with.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 1/2/2014, 1:28 pm

mollyhespra wrote:AH!  Your basement sounds perfect!  How's the humidity & temps down there at this time of year?  It would be a good winter to get some data in preparation for whatever you're going to be storing.  Not everything likes it cool & damp.  Some things like it cool & dry.

I don't have a root cellar myself, but it's on my wish-list for...sometime...in the future.  We'll have to build an actual root cellar outside someplace if I want to have a dedicated space, which will be quite a project.  I have some basement space that's good for a pantry & I have some cans, etc. down there, but this winter I'm keeping my onions, shallots, etc. and some squash in an upstairs room that's actually cooler than the basement, which is kept toastier than the upstairs by the woodstove.  

I have a book I bought to learn about root cellars: Root Cellaring by Mike & Nancy Bubel which has been informative & useful.  I didn't find much online.  My suggestion is to go to your local library & see if they can get this book for you (there may be others, I'm just only familiar with this one).

Keep us posted, I'm curious to see what you come up with.
I did run across a blog last night where a woman had a thermometer/ humidity gauge in her basement and experimented with storing food.  I just added one to my amazon list.  I also found a free digital root cellar book with good reviews on amazon last night and see what kind of information it has.  

Thanks for the info., I may see what our library has.  I must say Im jealous you have a woodstove!
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 1/3/2014, 8:11 am

Can you post the link to that free e-book?  I'm going to go see if I can find it as soon as I'm done posting, but it would be helpful to have a link.  

And yes, a thermometer & humidity gauge would be a good idea if you've got big plans, which is seems you do.  

What foodstuffs do you plan on storing in your cellar?

ETA:  I think I found the book.  Is it this one: $10 Root Cellar: And Other Low-Cost Methods of Growing, Storing, and Using Root Vegetables

P.S. We like our woodstove, too! It's really nice on a cold evening but it does tend to dry out the air an awful lot. I've taken to putting a big stainless steel bowl full of water on top of it just to try to get some moisture back in the air.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 1/3/2014, 12:30 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Can you post the link to that free e-book?  I'm going to go see if I can find it as soon as I'm done posting, but it would be helpful to have a link.  

And yes, a thermometer & humidity gauge would be a good idea if you've got big plans, which is seems you do.  

What foodstuffs do you plan on storing in your cellar?

ETA:  I think I found the book.  Is it this one: $10 Root Cellar: And Other Low-Cost Methods of Growing, Storing, and Using Root Vegetables

P.S. We like our woodstove, too!  It's really nice on a cold evening but it does tend to dry out the air an awful lot.  I've taken to putting a big stainless steel bowl full of water on top of it just to try to get some moisture back in the air.
Ill store anything I can.  I have plenty of room for cans in our pantry above the cabinets so the cellar would just be used for garden produce.  

Yep, thats the book.  We have a plan old gas fireplace, but need to have it looked over before I dare use it.  Since we have young children we're kind of putting it off.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down