Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? Toplef10Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? I22gcj10Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? Toplef10Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? I22gcj10Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ?

+6
martha
boffer
sanderson
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
plantoid
10 posters

Go down

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? Empty Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ?

Post  plantoid 12/19/2013, 4:47 pm

Ketchup, Catsup or Katsup ?
I've read several recipes today and found these names in the ingredients

Are they all the same or are they variations on a theme or totally different recipes??

If variations or total differences will some of you please tell me the recipe and what area of the USA it tends to be used in .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? Empty Re: Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ?

Post  CapeCoddess 12/19/2013, 5:40 pm

You are so funny! In my neck of the woods they are all the same, but we call the ketchup here. My recipe is to buy it at the store for a buck. Laughing 

CC

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? Empty Re: Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ?

Post  Goosegirl 12/19/2013, 6:35 pm

Great question! I grew up calling it Catsup, until I was in my teens when I learned that it is called by both names, and we even had bottles in our house labeled by each!

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Catsup_vs_Ketchup

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/19/2013, 6:37 pm

Ketchup in California, as in Heinz 57.  I think the other spellings drifted off of this by local dialects.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/20/2013, 10:13 am

CapeCoddess wrote:You are so funny!  In my neck of the woods they are all the same, but we call the ketchup here.  My recipe is to buy it at the store for a buck. Laughing 

CC

Proverb's Quote:
 Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? 3787310120  Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit — No man is at all hours wise  Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? 2027012869 .

I had an  study inkling that it was all the same stuff. Though I did balk affraid  at the idea of using two cups of it in one of the canning recipes I came across.
 No  It must kill the taste of anything else in the jars except for the chilli peppers

plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/20/2013, 10:47 am

plantoid wrote:... I did balk affraid  at the idea of using two cups of it in one of the canning recipes  I came across.
 No  It must kill the taste of anything else in the jars except for the chilli peppers

When all else fails...

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? Ketchup-Suggestions-858

I read somewhere that Heinz changed the word from catsup to ketchup in the late 1800's as a marketing tool.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 12/20/2013, 2:33 pm

Warning: these peanut M&M's have been processed in a plant that processes peanuts.

But the ketchup instructions are better.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/20/2013, 3:14 pm

Surely there is a good war waiting to be fought regarding this matter. Everybody choose up sides and come out guns blazing!

Regarding using all that ketchup, maybe take it with a grain of salt. Or less salt. Pre-made ingredients almost always have incredible amounts of salt and sugar(or, in the last decade or so, corn syrup). Try some crushed tomatoes instead?

America has some strong cooking traditions, especially regional ones, but more weak ones promoted in the general culture. One is that we tend to like easy, bland recipes with the most readily available ingredients. Thus you can find Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, packets of Lipton's Onion Soup powder, and ketchup popping up in recipe after recipe. A lot of cookbooks in the last century have been put out by food manufacturers -- the Pillsbury Cookbook, say -- but a lot that aren't so overtly sponsored still could have been, with the predictability of their slinging the same small set of name-brand products at the reader. Their recipes tend so much toward the bland that it's hard to see any purpose in them besides the selling and popularization of a brand ingredient.

I've read and used a lot of recipe books, and these days find the ones with a lot of brand-names and repetitive not-very-great ingredients easy to discard.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/20/2013, 4:58 pm

We have a Mrs Beeton cookery  book from many many years ago reprinted in the early 1960's

Her instructions for jugged hare starts with " First catch your hare " .

I think the only commercial aspect in it is using Indian tea leaves when making a cake of mixed fruit steeped for 24 hr in an Indian tea infusion.

re:-  The commercial ketchup
 Ian a dental surgeon friend of ours reckoned he could spot a child who ate just one Mac Donald's HAPPY MEAL a week just by seeing their tongue and the state of their teeth.

He got some of their sauce sachets and  in the course of an evenings entertainment/ business meeting plastered a dozen or so  really dull coloured copper plated coins in it.

At his end of evening summing up he washed all the coins  and showed us that every coin was a clean as the hour it was minted .

He then showed us a set of coins that he'd treated three days previously and washed .. they had tarnished to very dark colour because of the residual acid left from the sauces .

His parting shot was , " Do you want your kiddies teeth to end up like the coins ? "
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/21/2013, 7:45 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:-----  My recipe is to buy it at the store for a buck. Laughing 

CC

Beware all the GMO ingredients in it. We should be making our own. In my younger days we called it "tomato sauce". Still do, actually.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/21/2013, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Kelejan.  I never considered that.  Fortunately I only use ketchup when eating fries and that rarely ever happens anymore.  A bottle lasts about a year in this house.

Here's a recipe for a Heinz clone, altho I'd use honey instead of corn syrup, amino acids in place of salt, and stevia instead of sugar:
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/heinz-ketchup-recipe.html

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/21/2013, 11:01 pm

Things have gotten much better since the old days.
At about 6-7 years, I spent some time with my grandparents in a small mining town around Scranton PA.
Their house was bare unfinished walls and floors, no paint, a few newspapers here and there, I think to maybe break the monotony of walls.
No electricity either, candles, lanterns or to bed when darkness came.
Many evenings our dinner consisted of Ketchup sandwiches, 2 pieces of bread, Ketchup in between.
They raised 7 children in that house, it had the warmest feeling of any home I have ever been in, at my young age I can still recall those memories.
I didn't live there, only visited and loved every moment.
Of course as the years progressed and aunts & uncles grew up and started working, housing and food became much better, however I'll never forget that little old house on the hill above the railroad tracks full of ketchup bottles.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/22/2013, 12:23 am

Oh, Jimmy! Sniff. Thanks for that warm moment
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/22/2013, 7:47 am

My dad used to buy Heinz table sauce, a bit different from catsup, more like the HP brown sauce than the Heinz 57. I believe they don't make it anymore.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Tomato Ketchup, ketchup , Catsup or Katsup ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/22/2013, 12:10 pm

Ketchup sandwiches???  Shocked  I've never heard of that.  My ex used to eat mayonnaise sandwiches though. And when I was growing up we put ketchup on spaghetti. I didn't know what spaghetti sauce was til I was older.

That's an amazing memory of your visits to Grandma and Grandpa's house, Jimmy.  Thanks for sharing it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down