Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 Toplef10Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 I22gcj10Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 Toplef10Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 I22gcj10Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use?

+19
yolos
llama momma
audrey.jeanne.roberts
walshevak
southern gardener
Mikesgardn
Turan
CapeCoddess
GloriaG
boffer
Cincinnati
donnainzone5
camprn
herblover
plantoid
Marc Iverson
jimmy cee
sanderson
dstack
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use?

Post  sanderson 11/24/2013, 11:13 pm

I ordered mine off eBay.  But, I recently saw someone on my Craig's List selling worms and castings to order.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 Empty Re: Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use?

Post  Marc Iverson 11/25/2013, 1:19 am

I got some worm castings at Ace Hardware. Any place with a gardening section may have them, including places like Sears, Fred Meyers, Walmart, Bi-Mart, farm supply stores, local granges, etc.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/25/2013, 4:25 am

Dstack,
Here is a thought. But its not for everyone.  For the highest quality castings you can raise your own worms too. There are threads on this forum but the very best (my opinion) concise beginners info is in a very well known small book called,  Worms Eat My Garbage, by Mary Appelhoff.  That's what I started with about 2 years ago with one container.  I have 3 Rubbermaid bins in the basement producing all the fresh worm castings I need.  I started with one bin but think I'll stop at the current 3 bins because I estimate they will produce at least 40 pounds of fresh castings per year.  That's a conservative estimate and not bad for eating kitchen waste and taking up maybe tops, 2 hours of my time per month for prepping the food and feeding. Harvesting castings twice a year takes hours but still, quality baby, quality!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/25/2013, 12:10 pm

Or Josh's Worm Tube in larger SFG boxes if you don't have a basement or suffering spouse.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/26/2013, 12:38 am

Dstack,  I swore I sent a reply regarding your photo but I can't find it.  You look like a kid with his first dollar from the tooth fairy.  Really happy!Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/26/2013, 12:50 am

dstack wrote:...there's also so many myths that are perpetuated on the net and it's hard to know what to believe...
Also,

Anecdotal Factoid: A piece of unverified  information that is presented  as factual, and that is then accepted as true because of the constant repetition on general audience websites.

I would love to see a new forum here called 'Myth Busters', ala the TV show of the same name.  We have some forum members who are very good at digging up credible science based information that supports or disproves common myths and factoids.  It could be a very educational and interesting forum.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/26/2013, 6:21 am

boffer wrote:
dstack wrote:...there's also so many myths that are perpetuated on the net and it's hard to know what to believe...
Also,

Anecdotal Factoid: A piece of unverified  information that is presented  as factual, and that is then accepted as true because of the constant repetition on general audience websites.

I would love to see a new forum here called 'Myth Busters', ala the TV show of the same name.  We have some forum members who are very good at digging up credible science based information that supports or disproves common myths and factoids.  It could be a very educational and interesting forum.
silly me don't let me forget this idea. It's a good one.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/26/2013, 9:36 am

Disagree. This type of sub forum has been tried before and shut down by the previous administrator, so..current and brand new forum members may appreciate knowing this before another one gets started. There are some people on this forum that love debate as sport. The mood of the discontinued sub forum got darker as debating became more heated.  A sub forum could once again lead to a few who want to showcase their debating skills. 

The whole point of this sfg forum is to support Mel's sfg method in a family friendly atmosphere.  Ideas are already shared day and night on a any number of topics. I think a great many of us enjoy this friendly manner of learning how to garden.

Final thought, I don't really care if a debating forum exists, just so members know what to expect.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/26/2013, 12:08 pm

llama momma wrote:Disagree. This type of sub forum has been tried before and shut down by the previous administrator, so..current and brand new forum members may appreciate knowing this before another one gets started. There are some people on this forum that love debate as sport. The mood of the discontinued sub forum got darker as debating became more heated.  A sub forum could once again lead to a few who want to showcase their debating skills. 

The whole point of this sfg forum is to support Mel's sfg method in a family friendly atmosphere.  Ideas are already shared day and night on a any number of topics. I think a great many of us enjoy this friendly manner of learning how to garden.

Final thought, I don't really care if a debating forum exists, just so members know what to expect.
LM I don't recall what subforum to which you are referring... Boffer's suggestion was not an open debating forum but having an area where things may be clarified in the difference between personal opinion (anecdotal factoids) and facts. There are already posts that are somewhat mythbusting in nature. Some of them are called stickies and some of them are listed under the hover button.

In regards to perpetuating anecdotes and legends of the garden as facts -Everyone on this forum that makes a statement as a 'fact', should really back it up with a link.
Per the TOS, it is recommended that the poster be able to back the opinion up with facts and links and preferably science.

Muddying the waters with vague referrals to previous events that didn't sit well with you is not very helpful. Emotional rants are not beneficial in the garden, nor the forum.

Flaming will not be tolerated but helpful dialog, backed up with empirical evidence, is always welcome and as always all members are responsible for their actions on this forum, which is moderated. Everyone please review the TOS if you have any questions.

OK, now, back to the original post by dstack; what do you use, if anything, to feed your garden?

Last edited by camprn on 11/26/2013, 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/26/2013, 12:30 pm

boffer wrote:
Also,

I like the "Myth Busters" idea.  For instance, is it a myth that decomposed pine needles turn the soil more acid.  Don't answer this question here because it is the wrong thread to talk about this but this is just an example.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/26/2013, 6:39 pm

yolos wrote:
boffer wrote:
Also,

I like the "Myth Busters" idea.  For instance, is it a myth that decomposed pine needles turn the soil more acid.  Don't answer this question here because it is the wrong thread to talk about this but this is just an example.
Yolos, That is an exceptionally good question! I will look into that, do some research and get back to the Forum. Let us know what you find out too! Wink 

Another thing I sometimes use as a fertilizer to feed the plants, in particular leafy greens and Brussels Sprouts, is a wee bit of dried blood sprinkled around the root area. It gives a nitrogen boost which promotes foliage growth. It should be used with caution.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/blood-meal-fertilizer.htm

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 11/26/2013, 8:11 pm

camprn wrote:OK, now, back to the original post by dstack; what do you use, if anything, to feed your garden?
Since this is my first season with my newly built SFG boxes I've been going by "THE BOOK" as much as I can. And since Mel said over and over that you don't have to fertilize these, that's what I planned to do... NOTHING. My experience has been just as Sanderson described in her first experience. Everything came up nicely, but then stopped growing, or at least slowed way down. My squash vines are a pale green, as is my basil and tomatoes. Yet, in the past my squash and basil grew dark green in Florida's sand with very minimal amendment. Last year I grew potted tomatoes (pic below) in nothing but my compost mix, while some had some cow manure and Miracle Grow soil. There was no noticeable difference between the variations of mixes. 

Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use? - Page 3 Evergl10
These are Everglade Tomatoes which are tiny grape tomatoes, but super sweet. They grow wild in the Everglades. This just before I started harvesting more than enough. 

Back to your question... last weekend I started using fish emulsion. I'll be looking for worm castings next. Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/27/2013, 6:25 am

WOW! Shocked  Those are happy tomato plants. okay  well done!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/28/2013, 12:09 am

dsatck, approx how many pots of tomato plants? They sure look tasty!

My personal opinion/experience follows, no links available:

fish emulsion is fine but is very high in nitrogen, good for green leafy veggies, basil, spinach, lettuce,etc.

I've found that I never have enough worm castings to go around, and they are quite expensive to buy, so I make a worm tea and sprinkle around/on the plants, they love it!
2 cups castings in a five gal. bucket, add approx. a tbs. of molasses to feed the bacteria. I put an aquarium air pump to it for 24 hrs. I put about 1/2 cup per 2 gal watering can, and this makes it go further. I do not know if it would work for everyone, but, it works for me in SC.

I have found a few links that are good, but, most of the links, take the same ole info, and re-word it, and re-use the info, sometimes copying word for word. Some may have some science behind them, but, most are for in the ground gardens, not SFG. A grain of salt, and some common sense, and knowledge of your own area does more good sometimes, in my opinion.

I remember a part of the forum where peoples opinions got out of hand a bit. It was shut down very quickly.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/28/2013, 3:46 am

littlejo wrote:

My personal opinion/experience follows, no links available:
fish emulsion is fine but is very high in nitrogen, good for green leafy veggies, basil, spinach, lettuce,etc.

I have found a few links that are good, but, most of the links, take the same ole info, and re-word it, and re-use the info, sometimes copying word for word. Some may have some science behind them, but, most are for in the ground gardens, not SFG. A grain of salt, and some common sense, and knowledge of your own area does more good sometimes, in my opinion.

I remember a part of the forum where peoples opinions got out of hand a bit. It was shut down very quickly.
Jo
1!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 11/28/2013, 6:54 am

I have a small indoor compost pot (it is ceramic with a charcoal filter in the lid); I dump my coffee filter and grounds in it as part of my composting daily.  I have never sought CG from anywhere else; I figure that gives me a high enough percentage of CG as part of my compost.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/22/2017, 12:16 pm

sanderson wrote:You aren't alone.  I have a feeling that a lot of Newbies don't have truly rich homemade compost, compost made with different sources.

I was so excited bounce  to get started that I used mainly Kellogg compost in the red and white striped bag!  Everything took off and I was so proud.  Very Happy  Then they stopped growing.  Embarassed  So I used Miracle Grow to keep things growing.  I then ordered kelp and worm castings on line and bought organic fertilizer (Jobs?).  I even tried making my own kelp meal from California kelp.  Phew!  Frantically started hot composting, collecting buckets and buckets of produce from the farmer's market and coffee from Starbucks, heat treated grass clippings, bought cow manure and wood shavings, etc.  The first 2 batches were B- but the plants started responding.  My third batch of compost to use in the spring reached 160* and 2 months later is looking like it's going to be a winner, A+.  I'm now collecting leaves like crazy for next year's compost.

Don't dispare.  Use what ever you need right now, just don't burn things.  Make compost, kelp, or worm casting teas.  Keep working on your own compost.  I think, IMHO, that the compost is the secret.
For the first time ever, I have started fertilizing, using Jobes. I wanted to see if it would make a difference, so I mixed it in with my compost to plant corn and will continue the process with everything else I plant this fall. 

I did a search here and found exactly when I wanted -- feedback on fertilizing. Sanderson, I seem to be following in your footsteps, 3-4 years behind. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/22/2017, 12:29 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:You aren't alone.  I have a feeling that a lot of Newbies don't have truly rich homemade compost, compost made with different sources.

I was so excited bounce  to get started that I used mainly Kellogg compost in the red and white striped bag!  Everything took off and I was so proud.  Very Happy  Then they stopped growing.  Embarassed  So I used Miracle Grow to keep things growing.  I then ordered kelp and worm castings on line and bought organic fertilizer (Jobs?).  I even tried making my own kelp meal from California kelp.  Phew!  Frantically started hot composting, collecting buckets and buckets of produce from the farmer's market and coffee from Starbucks, heat treated grass clippings, bought cow manure and wood shavings, etc.  The first 2 batches were B- but the plants started responding.  My third batch of compost to use in the spring reached 160* and 2 months later is looking like it's going to be a winner, A+.  I'm now collecting leaves like crazy for next year's compost.

Don't dispare.  Use what ever you need right now, just don't burn things.  Make compost, kelp, or worm casting teas.  Keep working on your own compost.  I think, IMHO, that the compost is the secret.
For the first time ever, I have started fertilizing, using Jobes. I wanted to see if it would make a difference, so I mixed it in with my compost to plant corn and will continue the process with everything else I plant this fall. 

I did a search here and found exactly when I wanted -- feedback on fertilizing. Sanderson, I seem to be following in your footsteps, 3-4 years behind. Rolling Eyes
I primarily use homemade compost but this summer I also used some Jobe's Vegetable & Tomato 3-7-4 fertilizer. The first part of the summer was wet and cool so I thought the plants would benefit from the fertilizer. Did they? I can't tell.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/22/2017, 8:49 pm

I don't (or haven't yet!) used fertilizer on the SFG.  I used fish emulsion on my containers (melons, ground cherries, herbs) and my annuals in containers as well.  Did that once.  I liked the results:  gentle, not Blue Water burst of growth type punch. 

The SFG I use compost according to ANSFG recommendations.  But I will admit, my new box with all homemade compost is LOADED with foxtail grass.  Mistakes were made in the mowing arena not by me.....throwing the grass seed heads ONTO the pile and my traditional pile clearly doesn't get hot enough to kill them.  Evil or Very Mad
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/23/2017, 11:57 am

My "Old Year's Resolution" is to make more compost this fall. We have plenty of leaves, used hay, goat manure, rabbit manure, and chicken manure to supplement our garden, yard, and kitchen waste. There's no reason why I can't have all the good compost I need. With a little more effort, I shouldn't need store-bought fertilizer after this year. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/23/2017, 12:54 pm

I've used either Neptune or urine in the past when it seemed like the plants would benefit.  But this year I actually sprinkled on some of Mom's Osmocote Flower and Vegetable Smart-Release Plant Food since everything was so late due to weather.  Also, it seems like my compost isn't up to snuff this year.  I think I was remiss about adding seaweed last year and it shows.  

Like TD, I don't know if the Osmocote is making a diff or not.  How can you tell?  (I felt kinda bad for my microbes after adding it.  Sad )

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/23/2017, 4:06 pm

Because the weather over this side of the pond has been lousy this year , many things are at least a month behind .

So I dressed the soil round all 160 or so bulbing onions with a teaspoon of mixed dried fish , blood & bone meal sprinkled carefuly around each onion at the middle of June . It was then lightly scratched in to get it into the soil before it rained .

It seem to have worked  for today after finally clearing all the onions out the beds I have about 50 pounds of decent sized onions ...... both reds & whites  and about 10 pounds of , " Use these onions first  " .

There were very few failures .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/23/2017, 4:56 pm

After doing a soil test in the greenhouse this spring I added bloodmeal and salt, no compost. That was all they needed, there was almost too much other nutrients, all provided by years of compost.

The rest of the garden (except the pea and carrot beds) had gotten covered with barnyard mix of hay and manure. I figured the worms would do the work for me. I did give the corn a top dressing of bloodmeal at 5 leaf stage, and I fussed over the eggplant endlessly with epsom salts and fish emulsion and hand wringing. I think I need to check the pH next year where I plant eggplant.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/23/2017, 9:01 pm

Oh, yeah.  I do use blood and bone meal....I don't think of them as fertilizers....but they are!  I put them on in the Fall on top.  Blood meal actually discourages some rodents.  Then, in my mind, they "soak in" over the winter.  Spring is compost application time for planting.  

I am thinking of adding Epsom salts in the area I am putting my Nightshades next year, at least in the planting spot.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3