Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/13/2014, 1:43 am

sanderson wrote:Audrey,  Do you have a blue colored bladder tank?  Or a galvanized tank with a pressure gauge?  Any drips?  Is the well pump cycling on and off every few minutes (or 2)?  Shocked 

Rosina,  That's one of the perks to be on a community water system  Very Happy 
Blue bladder tank that was replaced about 3 years ago. However, our water problem is resolved.  It had slowed down drastically the past week.  We looked for leaks, checked the well etc. etc.  We found out that the issue was we have too small of a micron filter on the house.  It was a 2 micron and up here in the mountains it needs to be much larger.  It's supposed to last 3 months and was changed a month ago.  Guess we'll be buying different filter!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 6/13/2014, 1:47 am

Thank goodness it was an easy fix.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2014, 2:58 am

Here are some photos of the garden today.  I know, I know, I need to clean it up.

Winter and summer squash on 8' trellises.  There is a large spaghetti squash hanging over the lattice but the sunlight washed it out.  One of 2 Butternuts is visible:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 West_s10
Five cantaloupes:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 West_s11
Eggplants and squash in their new area:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Eggpla10
3 Tomatillos in 2 large pots.  Plants are 3' high and 4' wide.  Thanks to the Syrphid flies, they have lanterns:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Tomati10
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/13/2014, 9:52 am

Sanderson,

That is a really nice garden.  I particularly like your trellis system.  Keep in mind I'm the new little chicken on the block so don't have a lot of experience with plant diseases.  The problems you had with your tomatoes...is that something all gardeners go through?

Please take a look at this picture of my beet leaves.  Does that look like disease, over watering, too late in the summer?  Any ideas what it might be?  Any ideas as to a cure?  Should I just pull out all the beets and toss them?

MazzyCalifornia - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Garden14
mazzy
mazzy

Male Posts : 69

http://www.woodworkwonders.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/13/2014, 9:55 am

Mazzy

You've got leaf miners.  Read all of this recent thread

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18098-something-bad-with-the-spinach#198874

This is the leaf in the lower middle of your picture.
The arrow points to the 'trail' left by this particular type of miner.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Screen11
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/13/2014, 10:20 am

Thanks for the information.  The link suggested BT.  Is that the best safe organic pesticide I could use?  Any other suggestions?

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/13/2014, 12:45 pm

My beds have had leaf borers that invade both beets, spinach, and chard and seem to run in cycles. They don't like cold,over-wintering crops much- but go like gang busters in the early summer.You can try to mash the little worms in the leaves by pinching the tiny maggot in it's leaf borrow. Spynosad will deter any re-einfestation, but the ground around the plants need to be treated because the tiny maggot completes it's life cycle in the soil. I wouldn't worry about the beets- they will drop their leaves and start popping out new ones again- just keep watering them. With the spinach and chard, I pull them because once they are invaded by borers the plants seem to trigger a secondary assault by aphids, who move in and take over.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2014, 1:44 pm

Mazzy, I have used BT when necessary to save the plants, like beets, cabbage, Brussels sprouts.  Using tulle material to keep the egg layer off is the first line of defense, then mechanical removal or squishing or hosing or soapy wash, then the mildest pesticide.  BT, Neem oil and Sluggo Plus are my big guns.

The tomato disease was curly leaf which is transmitted by infected leaf hoppers. It also took out all but 2 tomatillo starts and something else, which I have forgotten. I'm on my 3rd round of tomato plants and they are 3 volunteers that still look pretty good! One is in a very large rose pot! If I can get some more organizing and cleaning done today, I will take a photo later.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/13/2014, 2:14 pm

Whew!!!  I got some great advise from you guys just in time.  I was about to pull out my flame thrower. 

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Empty That is the truth!!

Post  kauairosina 6/13/2014, 8:01 pm

My granddaughter this morning suggested I jet spray the leaf hopper babies that she could see on the tomato stems. (I sure couldn't see them, but I did it and the steams were a whole lot greener looking.)  Good to have young eyes.  Interesting the role reversal.

We've been reluctant to use Spinosad (Monterrey Green) as we understand that it is not good for the bees.  Anyone know more about this?  Like our bee people?  I think I'll post this question for our bee keepers.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/14/2014, 1:43 am

kauairosina wrote:My granddaughter this morning suggested I jet spray the leaf hopper babies that she could see on the tomato stems. (I sure couldn't see them, but I did it and the steams were a whole lot greener looking.)  Good to have young eyes.  Interesting the role reversal.

I have yet to "see" a leaf hopper. Oh, to have young eyes again.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 6/14/2014, 7:41 pm

Sanderson I wanted to tell you I was at OSH today (on shaw in clovis) and they have their veggies 50% off.  They aren't very pretty looking but if you wanted to try to resurrect some tomato seedlings now is your chance Smile  They will be faster than seeds but will need some TLC.  I bought a brandywine and I'm going to see if I can get it productive.  Since my chicken keeps stealing my tomatoes I'm going to try 1 more plant.

I got my new cucumber, cantaloupe and spaghetti squash seedlings in the ground this morning.  I have 3 watermelon seedlings left but I'm going to give them another week or so in the little cups.  I also haven't prepared their squares yet.  

Here are the 3 pumpkins / winter squash I have pulled off (besides 4 spaghetti squash).  On the left is the one that was in a mislabled seed packet.  I'm thinking it is a variety of Long Island Cheese (it is 13.8 lbs!) but I don't really know.  Any ideas?  The middle is a jack o lantern pumpkin but it is small!  On the right is a cinderella pumpkin aka  Rouge vif d'Etampes.  I have a Marina di Chioggia still on the vine (still growing) and the cinderella plant put on a new baby and that one is about softball sized now.  Funny thing about that one is that it put out 3 female flowers on the same day and I had zero male flowers in my yard.  But one of them took!  So some bee got pollen from somewhere and pollinated my flower. The Long island cheese plant has some female flowers to open in a few days so crossing my fingers for another one miracle baby since I see no males in sight.  Smile

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Dscn0310
keepercjr
keepercjr

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/14/2014, 8:03 pm

Oh, gosh, that jack-o-lantern is cute! and I just read about the Disney Cinderella pumpkin.

I also have an immaculate conception  Very Happy  fruit, a cantaloupe! Either the lone black bumble bee or the surphyd flies.

Thanks for the OSH alert.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/15/2014, 10:16 am

I just tried planting 12 tomato seeds directly into the ground without starting inside first.  Every instruction I've read says to start inside.  Yet "volunteers" start up outside from seed all the time.  What's my chances that I'll be successful with having planted outside?

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/15/2014, 10:45 am

mazzy wrote:I just tried planting 12 tomato seeds directly into the ground without starting inside first.  Every instruction I've read says to start inside.  Yet "volunteers" start up outside from seed all the time.  What's my chances that I'll be successful with having planted outside?

Mazzy

The problem is not that you will not get good plants, but that the plants will not have time to bloom and ripen before first frost. Most of the varieties in my seed catalog seem to say 80-100 days.   All my early May sprouting volunteers are blooming now and I have high hopes, especially since they all seem to be cherry types.  I was hoping for some of the big ones.  Rooting a sucker from an established plant is another way to get more tomatoes without waiting for seeds.   I am in zone 8 and average first frost is in early Nov. so I have time.  Good luck and maybe be prepared to protect the plants from the first frosts with a hoop house.  Hope it works out.  

Kay

FYI, even green tomatoes will ripen in the window sill if you have to pick early, fried green tomatoes are still a great veggis  and green tomatoes make great dill pickles.   Very Happy

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/15/2014, 10:59 am

+1 Tomato plants grow like weeds. Getting red tomatoes is the challenge.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/15/2014, 11:22 am

We live in a unique part of Northern California.  Frost generally occurs between Dec 20 and Feb 10.  So we have a long growing season.  If all goes well, the tomato seeds I planted out will have the necessary time to bear fruit.  This year is a big experiment for me.  But there is always fried green tomatoes  :>)

Mazzy
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2014, 3:02 pm

DH is going to OSH today. I will have him pick up 2 sale tomatoes. That will make it 4th round of trying to get tomatoes. Darn, darn. Edit: The only one alive was a cherry.

Mazzy, are you in the "fog belt" or the sunshine belt? First frost in Fresno was Dec 2, 2013, and it wasn't a frost, it was a killer freeze! I'm betting you will get a few red ones, a few blush, and lots of green that you can store and ripen in the window as you need them! Lucky you.

I'll be in Missouri Thursday-Monday. I'm setting up sheers as shades so my potted peppers, tomatillos, borage, carrots, onions and herbs can survive as they can struggle through my absence. Everything will only be watered twice while I'm gone.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/15/2014, 3:13 pm

I'm in a strange micro climate of El Sobrante.  Usually I pick up the fog but when we have a hot spell I will be 5 degree hotter than the weather report predicts.
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2014, 3:22 pm

Ah, north of Richmond. Now I have a visual.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2014, 3:59 pm

My DH said, "Next year, you might as well put your beds on that dead area of the grass."   Shocked Shocked  I calmly said that a couple of lawn sprinklers need to be added to the remaining lawn to make sure it gets good coverage.  He agreed.   bounce  bounce 

That area is 8.1/2' x 9 1/2' and has 2 sprinklers that can be converted to 1/2" tubing.  I'm thinking 2 long beds 8' by 2 1/2."  Or four 2' x 3'  or . . .

I'm in hog heaven.

PS  I do want grass in the back yard.  I love walking bare foot, especially when I hang the laundry under the cover.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 4-27-110
Dead grass area:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Back_y10
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mazzy 6/15/2014, 4:17 pm

What a nice back yard!
mazzy
mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/15/2014, 4:54 pm

Thank you. The photos are from last June. Grass is a little worse this year, especially where the new beds will go.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 11 Empty happy to see that

Post  kauairosina 6/15/2014, 5:14 pm

your  beds with trellises are two footers.  We blocked ourselves out from the close squares when we trellised our four foot wide bed.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/16/2014, 11:53 am

I will probably be disappearing for about a week or a little more.  Our daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons will be here as they have just left their duty station in Korea where they were for 3 years.  They'll be visiting family for a month and resettling in the Seattle area for his next post.  

This grammy has never gotten to pinch the baby's cheeks and he's going to be 1 on the 25th, so I'll be playing in my garden with the boys, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next