Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Small Tools you would not be without Toplef10Small Tools you would not be without 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Small Tools you would not be without I22gcj10Small Tools you would not be without 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Small Tools you would not be without Toplef10Small Tools you would not be without 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Small Tools you would not be without I22gcj10Small Tools you would not be without 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Small Tools you would not be without

+8
camprn
floyd1440
Marc Iverson
sanderson
mschaef
plantoid
bnoles
Kelejan
12 posters

Go down

Small Tools you would not be without Empty Small Tools you would not be without

Post  Kelejan 10/3/2013, 6:56 pm

Today I was collecting a pile of grass clippings from my friend's garden (no pesticides), using my little hand fork with the tines bent at a 90 degree angle. It was so easy dragging the fork through the pile, bringing the grass against the trowel held in my left hand, then transferring the clumps to a plastic sack supported by a wire frame. It took no time at all filling seven plastic sacks and transferring them to my fall compost pile to await all the leaves I will be collecting.

The wire frame itself will again be useful when I collect the fall leaves.

So the combination of the small fork and the wire frame really makes those two gardening chores pretty painless.

What small hand tools would you not be without? Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Small Tools you would not be without Empty Re: Small Tools you would not be without

Post  bnoles 10/3/2013, 8:42 pm

Scissors..... I would not be found in my garden without my scissors. No 
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Small Tools you would not be without Empty Re: Small Tools you would not be without

Post  plantoid 10/3/2013, 8:49 pm

A small hand trowel & hand fork , a light weight pair of secateurs and a 1 & 1/" gallon  plastic bucket for carrying compost or weeds  .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/3/2013, 10:04 pm

Scissors is something I rarely go to the garden without and a orchard bucket to bring what goodies make it home in.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/3/2013, 10:56 pm

My $2 scissors.  I have a small shoebox-sized plastic container with scissors, pencil, small spade, gloves, green stretchy tape, a rag, tape measure, labels and small clippers. I also have straws cut in half at a diagonal to measure out 2 tiny seeds and place in pencil holes in the seedling pots or the beds.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/4/2013, 1:34 am

A very lightweight small plastic basket to gather my pickings in, and also hold things like twine and clips and scissors as I walk around.

Also, this season I have fallen deeply in love with zip ties. They've helped me put together fencing, hang a topsy-turvy planter, assemble a self-watering 5-gallon set of buckets and secure a PVC trellis inside it very firmly, hang a wasp trap at the insistence of family though I didn't really want to, secure all manner of posts and wire frames and tomato cages to each other. and who knows how many other things. Using zip ties has made doing things the usual way feel like the hard (and kind of lunk-headed) way. Why did it take me so long to fall in love with these things?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/4/2013, 8:57 pm

Lots of ideas here; keep them coming.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 10/5/2013, 6:38 am

Definitely good scissors and a trowel to start with.  And with a trellis I found that zip ties are nice to keep the netting tight.  I found some green tomato ties at HD this year and gave them a try and they worked great!!!  First they are very flexible to ties peppers, toms, etc., to the netting or string and they are reusable as I have take all mine off and placed them in a small bag for next year.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/5/2013, 7:23 am

My essential garden tools are my garden fork, cultivator, trowel, hand shears, pocket knife, spool of sisal twine, buckets and wheel barrow, camera and my harvesting basket.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Small Tools you would not be without WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/5/2013, 1:18 pm

Fingers and a loose enough shirt that I can gather up the bottom edge to put harvests in.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 10/5/2013, 1:28 pm

My tools; garden fork, snipers, bent kitchen fork, hori hori garden tool, my old timer pocket knife, and not in the photo is my garden hod and garden scissors. 

Small Tools you would not be without My_gar10

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/6/2013, 3:39 pm

Turan wrote:Fingers and a loose enough shirt that I can gather up the bottom edge to put harvests in.
Can you get those finger things in nettle proof versions..

David .......... with really tingly nettle stung hands Sad
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/6/2013, 3:49 pm

plantoid wrote:
Turan wrote:Fingers and a loose enough shirt that I can gather up the bottom edge to put harvests in.
Can you get those finger things in nettle proof versions..

David .......... with really tingly nettle stung hands Sad
David, have you ever heard of using stinging nettles for arthritis in the joints?
I just saw this article about that.  http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/natural-remedies-for-arthritis-pain-zmaz02fmzgoe.aspx#axzz2gyO1k9re

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/6/2013, 4:15 pm

I've got both Laughing 

I can honestly say that ever since I was  kiddie on a hard tyred kiddies cycle with no brakes in a pair of swimming trunks  that I have always had probs with nettle stings .

I was racing my brother,  me on my little bike him on his big bike with brakes ...
 he managed a back wheel slide on the gravel road to turn the corner into the farm yard.. I didn't.
 Consequently this wee mite naked except for his swimming trunks flew eight feet off the un walled bridge/roadway in a half summersault still on the bike to end up in a six foot deep ditch full of four foot tall nettles .
 I was seriously stung to say the least and was very very ill for several days .
 I've have had intense painful  reactions to nettle stings ever since. (It's likely something to do with pain gates being knocked flat and never recovering the assault )

Even now 57 yrs. later , a single sting feels like I've plunged the area into very very hot  water.

I tried beating my bare arthritic knee with a small young nettle a couple of years ago ...  it made no difference whatsoever to the arthritis pain or incapacity of the joint  but boy did it sting like B****ery  for a few days .

In history lessons I was told " The romans used to beat themselves with nettles to keep them selves feeling warm when they arrived on the shores of this damp dark land we call great Britain "
 Knowing a few Italian males who used to be my neighbours  ..... I'm thinking it was for another  reason   Laughing Embarassed
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/6/2013, 4:29 pm

Shocked 

Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,I think I will continue to keep my distance from stinging nettles.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/6/2013, 4:49 pm

Good lord, I too fell into stinging nettles when I was small; it was so painful, near indescribable. If I ever see them in my travels, I give them a very wide berth.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Small Tools you would not be without WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/6/2013, 11:19 pm

Turan wrote:..a loose enough shirt that I can gather up the bottom edge to put harvests in.
My wife does that too...and ends up wearing a dirty shirt the rest of the day!   Razz 

I keep a couple restaurant-grade aluminum colanders  around the gardens to collect harvests in.

I keep old pruning shears in the garden to cut thick stalks on broccoli, collards, etc.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/7/2013, 1:10 am

Also, my cell phone. I can be out in the garden and before I know it, hours have passed and I'm late for something(like making other people dinner). So my phone stays with me to keep me from becoming totally lost from the world for too long.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 10/7/2013, 11:17 am

I have a plastic tote with my small garden tools in it for now until we get time to make some additions to my garden and then they will be in my garden mailbox. My collection of small tools are pruning shears, scissors, trowel, garden scoop, garden fork, garden velcro and sisal twine. I also like having a small bucket for dipping compost tea and for holding my small tools while working in the garden. And while they may not be considered small tools I love my watering can and watering wand...makes it so easy to reach the base of the plants. Hubby and I both decided after trying mixing MM on a tarp that we actually prefer the way we started out doing it...in a small plastic pool with a hoe. Now I need to find just the right basket to hold my harvests.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 10/7/2013, 11:47 am

TxGramma wrote:I have a plastic tote with my small garden tools in it for now until we get time to make some additions to my garden and then they will be in my garden mailbox. My collection of small tools are pruning shears, scissors, trowel, garden scoop, garden fork, garden velcro and sisal twine. I also like having a small bucket for dipping compost tea and for holding my small tools while working in the garden. And while they may not  be considered small tools I love my watering can and watering wand...makes it so easy to reach the base of the plants. Hubby and I both decided after trying mixing MM on a tarp that we actually prefer the way we started out doing it...in a small plastic pool with a hoe. Now I need to find just the right basket to hold my harvests.
You are one well armed granny! lol! 
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down