Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 Toplef10Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 I22gcj10Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 Toplef10Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 I22gcj10Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner

+17
boffer
Windsor.Parker
llama momma
mschaef
meatburner
Windmere
lyndeeloo
plantoid
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
Goosegirl
Nonna.PapaVino
cheyannarach
littlejo
sanderson
CapeCoddess
bnoles
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 Empty Re: Got serious and ordered a pressure canner

Post  boffer 12/17/2013, 8:50 pm

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 Congratulations
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 Empty Re: Got serious and ordered a pressure canner

Post  meatburner 12/17/2013, 9:14 pm

Cooooooolll!  Nice canner. Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 3170584802
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/17/2013, 9:19 pm

I'm jealous David....

That is a serious canner... hope you have a lot of fun with it!
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/17/2013, 9:27 pm

Had to laugh ...
I lifted the canner out the box by the top handle.  T'was a bit of a struggle ,as it was a tight fit  , undid the retaining screws , removed the lid ,took the instruction pack out the canner along with the two trivets and the weight then checked the sides /lips for damage , took the photos and put it away then settled down to read the instructions ...
A couple of pages in " DO NOT LIFT THE CANNER BY THE TO HANDLE , USE THE SIDE ONES INSTEAD "

Well I find it funny  Laughing

All comments of Sad  envy will be give a score from one to ten , and graded accordingly . 10.out of 10 being the highest score possible .  Laughing Laughing Wink 
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/18/2013, 12:05 am

Get ready to have successful canning with your All American Canner for the next 30-50 years!  Ours is now 32 years old, and has helped fill the pantry every fall!  Congratulations, you'll love it (even if you find it hard to find Ball jars).  Best wishes and Merry Christmas!!!  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2013, 3:19 am

plantoid wrote:Had to laugh ...
I lifted the canner out the box by the top handle.

A couple of pages in " DO NOT LIFT THE CANNER BY THE TO HANDLE , USE THE SIDE ONES INSTEAD "

Well I find it funny  Laughing

All comments of Sad  envy will be give a score from one to ten , and graded accordingly . 10.out of 10 being the highest score possible  .   Laughing Laughing Wink 

lol!   So typical!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/18/2013, 3:32 am

congrats!!

I love canning  Very Happy 

this next growing season will be our third year pressure canning

yesterday for dinner we had the rest of our 2012 beef and veggie soup from 2012 garden harvest..........Im cleaning out our pantry, so we can rotate out and back in again...... I told the family we needed to eat some of these canned yummy goods to make room for more.....

last week we had time to process our frozen tomatos from this years summer harvest and turned them into meat sauce ....enough for 7 dinners  cheers cooked, canned and stored!

Im so thankful Deb's let us in on one of her secrets.....freezing the tomatoes when picked and then doing something with them when you got enough.....remember we are in the PNW so we tend not to get a large harvest all at once to store....so freezing was a great idea and worked out really well for us!

have fun with your new canner!
happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/18/2013, 11:09 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Get ready to have successful canning with your All American Canner for the next 30-50 years!  Ours is now 32 years old, and has helped fill the pantry every fall!  Congratulations, you'll love it (even if you find it hard to find Ball jars).  Best wishes and Merry Christmas!!!  Nonna

Thanks Nonna ..
It looks like the canner might see me turn my toes up then, as I'm about to turn 63 in a few days time  Laughing 
 I've sussed the problem of decent canning jars .. Spent a my pocket money on buying WECK bottling /preserving jars ( see the thread " Weck jars " ).

Got a shed load of several different sizes at half price or less and a got avery good bulk shipping rate instead of paying individually for each half dozen jars at a time .  I save myself over 100 $ USD alone on the shipping and well over 150 $ USD on the end of season sale price of the jars. Laughing  Laughing 

I now have 1 of them in total , broken down into :-  25 x 1.5 litre , 36 x 1litre ,  30 x 0 .68 litre , 5 x 1/2 litre & 12 x 0 . 135 litre jars.

A.K.A .in your money as :-
 25 x quarts,  36 x 1.5 pint ,  30 x 3/4 pint , 5 x 3/4 pint & 12x 1/4 pint jars .

I'm dying to get started with the canning but have a list of more pressing things to do first that I can't put off  Sad  Sad .

I wonder If Alison will notice if half of the Christmas day turkey goes missing before it reaches the oven ??? Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/18/2013, 11:14 am

plantoid wrote:... I wonder If Alison will notice if half of the Christmas day turkey goes missing before it reaches the oven ??? Wink

Not if you do the cooking!  Wink 
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/18/2013, 11:15 am

Rose,
Years ago we froze so many tomatoes one year that we ended up playing a slightly tipsy game of "  pool " on the flat bed trailer at our farmers annual bonfire night party ( 5 Nov)  with the best round shaped ones .

Eeeeee lass ,  we supped some ale that night. Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/18/2013, 11:19 am

boffer wrote:
plantoid wrote:... I wonder If Alison will notice if half of the Christmas day turkey goes missing before it reaches the oven ??? 

Not

if you do the cooking!  Wink

Now there's a good scheme to work away at ... Oh just realized .....I always cook the turkey & she carves it .

Back to the drawing board Doc.

Last edited by camprn on 12/18/2013, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box again)
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Got serious and ordered a pressure canner  - Page 3 Empty Electric Pressure Cookers

Post  Rahab222 6/9/2014, 7:33 pm

Has anybody tried the electric pressure canners being sold on QVC and HSN?  I watched their demonstration on these.  You can both cook and can in these.  I wonder if they are safer than a pressure cooker you use on the stove?  I'd appreciate any feedback.
Rahab222
Rahab222

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/9/2014, 8:53 pm

Notice the write-up on the pressure canner--it doesn't let you know how few pints or quarts the canner will produce.  After all the work gone into prepping vegetables/fruits, the canner (to my belief) is a piker in the fruit basket to pantry shelf.  If I am canning anything, I want to do enough to make it worth my time, that is, the bigger the canner, the more product can be prepared, canned and goes to the shelf. Nonna says it is a frou-frou appliance, and waste of time/money.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/11/2014, 9:15 am

+1, Nonna! 

When I got my Presto, I went for the largest I could find.  (Got it at BB&B.  With a 20% coupon, it wasn't TOO big a hit on the pocketbook.)

LOVE it!  Fits 7 quarts or 9 pints & can double stack pints if necessary.

Have not seen the electric ones or any write-ups.  Not sure I'd go w/ electric.  It depends on being on the grid.  Mine can be used on a wood stove if necessary.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/11/2014, 10:42 am

I agree, AtlantaMarie, being able to use a pressure canner on a wood stove is a plus, as is using it over an outside propane burner in hot weather.  And, I doubt the little electric canner will last as long as my mother's--originally purchased during World War II and used for 68 years (though Mom did replace the gauge a time or two).  When PapaVino and I married, one of our first acquisitions was an All American pressure canner--and after 33 years, it's still putting up food for us!  I say, go for quality, not fancy.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/12/2014, 8:04 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:I agree, AtlantaMarie, being able to use a pressure canner on a wood stove is a plus, as is using it over an outside propane burner in hot weather.  And, I doubt the little electric canner will last as long as my mother's--originally purchased during World War II and used for 68 years (though Mom did replace the gauge a time or two).  When PapaVino and I married, one of our first acquisitions was an All American pressure canner--and after 33 years, it's still putting up food for us!  I say, go for quality, not fancy.  Nonna

Hadn't thought about the propane burner.  That's a good idea.  May have to get another turkey cooker...  I doubt my grill will handle it, lol.

+100,000 on the quality!

Well, time to get the canner out for the smoked bbq sauce we made the other day!  And put some stuff on the dehydrator!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/12/2014, 10:11 am

My son uses the side burner on his propane grill for canning.  So far he has only done water bath stuff, but he has asked about borrowing my Presto.  Embarassed which I haven't tried for pressure canning yet.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3