Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? Toplef10Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? I22gcj10Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? Toplef10Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? I22gcj10Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box?

4 posters

Go down

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? Empty Vermiculite: How many small bags per box?

Post  TaylorNH 4/25/2010, 5:06 pm

I cannot find the big bags of vermiculite anywhere locally. The only local store that will order it for me has had it on backorder for weeks, and when I find it on line, its nearly $30 for shipping. I'm resigning myself to use the small bags that I can find out here. I am bit confused at how much I need to buy. None of the bags say "this is x square feet of vermiculite." Its all in 8 quarts or 18 quarts. Does anyone know a conversion formula of quarts to square feet? How many of these small 8 quart bags do I need per 4x4foot box?
TaylorNH

Back to top Go down

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? Empty Re: Vermiculite: How many small bags per box?

Post  Retired Member 1 4/25/2010, 7:23 pm

I use a nifty program called Convert, and according to it, there are 29 quarts in a cubic foot. So times that by 4, there are 119 quarts in one 4 CF bag.

If you are interested in Convert, it is a free download from:
http://joshmadison.com/software/convert-for-windows/
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? Empty Re: Vermiculite: How many small bags per box?

Post  silverbug 4/25/2010, 8:24 pm

Which is the problem I had and needless to say, I do not have NEARLY enough vermiculite in my mix. Oh, well....I did the best I could. I tried, and have all composted manure, and not enough vermiculite, and I'm willing to bet, SOMETHING will grow in my gardens. LOLOL. I'm praying that's the case....So far, I see spinach sprouts, and one pea sprout, so, I'm excited, however, I've found there are TINY sprouts of some weed thing coming up that I didn't put in there. LMAO.

Good luck with the little bags of vermiculite. I think I bought 8 bags for three 4x4 beds, and that's all she wrote. I could get more, but I've begun planting and am saying better luck next year to myself.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/25/2010, 10:10 pm

Taylor... I hope you've checked the VERMICULITE DATA BASE .... There's only one source listed in NH, but maybe it's close enough to where you are? Or if you're on the VT or MA border, there are more sources in those states. The cost of the small bags is difficult if not prohibitive, so I would think that a 'road trip' to buy the big bags might be worthwhile - especially if you can find some other SFGers to pool with. Good luck!

If that doesn't help, I know perlite is 'second choice' but it may be more available than the vermiculite.

Silverbug... where are you?
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Vermiculite: How many small bags per box? Empty Vermiculite in NH

Post  TaylorNH 4/26/2010, 6:56 am

Thanks! Wyldflower- I love that you did a database! I think I got lost in it though. If I am remembering correctly, I think it took me to the state extension office. Now I can't find the database Sad Where is the database located and do you remember what place sells the stuff?

Last edited by TaylorNH on 4/26/2010, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got wrong name!)
TaylorNH

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 4/26/2010, 7:15 am

I'm in Wisconsin, but at this stage, it's a non-issue. I am not spending any more money on additives to the garden. I've got two of my three beds planted, and I'm just gonna go with it. Things WILL grow. LOLOL.

I've gardened for many years, and used everything from nearly pure clay, to miracle grow potting soil in containers, etc...I think I should be doing ok. It's probably not optimal, and a bit more vermiculite would balance out my single compost, etc....My Grandfather and his brothers owned and operated a successful greenhouse all of my childhood. I kinda wish he were still around to let me know what HE thinks of my mix and how it'll prove out in the end. Next year, I can add more vermiculite, and I'll have my own compost working, so, I figure it can only get better and better from here.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/26/2010, 9:06 am

TaylorNH wrote:Thanks! Wyldflower- I love that you did a database! I think I got lost in it though. If I am remembering correctly, I think it took me to the state extension office. Now I can't find the database Sad Where is the database located and do you remember what place sells the stuff?

It's on the general forum: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/Vermiculite-Entry-Form-h1.htm

If you really can't find any in your area, just use a mix of 5 different composts.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down