Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: August 2013

+9
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Nonna.PapaVino
tananarose
Lavender Debs
FamilyGardening
boffer
Kelejan
gwennifer
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: August 2013

Post  FamilyGardening 8/9/2013, 11:49 pm

funny post
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 8/10/2013, 1:34 am

southern gardener wrote:
gwennifer wrote:Harvested our first few Dragon Tongue bush beans today.  Hmmm....  Everything I read about them here, not once did I see it mentioned that they are FURRY!  
furry?? ours weren't furry!! they were sorta "slick" and yellowish with purple veins lol! 
 Furry?
Did they look sort of like this (still green, it gets yellow as it matures and flattens like a Romano)
PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 007_co10

Or maybe more like this?
PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 July_210
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/11/2013, 4:24 pm

Rose

This is feedback to the posts you made in the 3 sisters thread.  I'm growing corn in boxes for the first time this year to make weeding easier and to be able to cover them with a hoop house.  I'm doing 8 inch boxes full of 5 way compost.  One box is sitting directly on the old garden soil.  Two boxes are sitting on plastic over the old garden soil.

No bottom on the left; plastic bottom on right.  Both boxes got the same seed planted on the same day.
PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 Dscn3310

The left box was my corn hut, and the stalks grew a lot faster than in the right, although the right has caught up considerably.  The left box has many stalks with two ears; the right box only a few.  I don't know if that's due to the early extra heat, or the apparent nitrogen deficiency in the right box.  

I'm impatiently waiting for harvest so I can examine the root structures.  Supposedly corn sends out very deep tap roots (like 4 feet).  I doubt the roots punctured the plastic in the right box, but the plants are doing OK, and would certainly look better if I had added some nitrogen at the right time.  The cobs seem to be developing normally, so I'm letting things stand as is.  Harvest will tell about size and flavor.

I've posted pics before of long season corn roots, and I just can't fathom 4 per square, so I've always grown them 1 per square.  This year, I layed out the grid at 9 inches, rather than 12, to see what would happen.  9 inches is 1.75 plants per square.  By making the grid 9 inches rather than planting 2 per 12 inch square, it keeps the stalks in rows that make weeds in the inner box easier to reach, and it made laying out a soaker hose easier too.

For next year, I'll remove the plastic from under the two boxes, and make huts for them.  Other than that, I'm pleased with how the corn is growing in the left box, and don't plan on doing anything other than adding more compost after harvest.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/11/2013, 4:48 pm

Boffer, super interesting experiment. If I understand you correctly, your soil is straight compost, not the 3 way MM? Please keep us updated! Sounds SORT of like what we're toying with. Good luck!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/11/2013, 10:22 pm

Yep Debs, the first picture is the one. I still maintain that they have a furry texture very similar to a peach. They do look sticky like Rose mentioned, so maybe that's all it is.

Had my first homegrown marketmore cucumber and sungold tomatoes in my salad tonight!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/12/2013, 1:18 am

southern gardener wrote:Boffer, super interesting experiment. If I understand you correctly, your soil is straight compost, not the 3 way MM? Please keep us updated! Sounds SORT of like what we're toying with. Good luck!!
Yes, I grow my corn in straight compost since it costs next to nothing, and corn is supposed to be a heavy feeder.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/18/2013, 11:52 pm

Crybaby 

Raccoon's got into our corn last night! frustration 

the way it looks very sad ......they sat up on top of the hoops dangit  ....peeled the ears of corn and invited their family and friends happy smile .....we have naked corn cobs still attached to the stalks.... bottoms up 

waste of time 
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/19/2013, 2:21 am

FamilyGardening wrote:Crybaby 

the way it looks very sad ......they sat up on top of the hoops dangit  ....peeled the ears of corn and invited their family and friends happy smile .....we have naked corn cobs still attached to the stalks.... bottoms up 

waste of time 
rose
oh RATZ!!!! man, that's got to be frustrating!!  Racoon stew!!  Sorry Rose, that's a tough one Sadfrustration screm frustration screm
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/19/2013, 10:11 am

Ah nooooo...say it ain't so BIG hug 

Did you have corn growing in both the front and back yards?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2013, 10:24 am

southern gardener wrote:

waste of time 
rose
oh RATZ!!!! man, that's got to be frustrating!!  Racoon stew!!  Sorry Rose, that's a tough one Sadfrustration screm frustration screm
I can tell you from experience you need to parboil the coon for quite some time to get rid of the gaminess........ Shocked 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/19/2013, 2:19 pm

rofl  par boil!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/19/2013, 6:20 pm

boffer wrote:Ah nooooo...say it ain't so BIG hug 

Did you have corn growing in both the front and back yards?
yes it was the corn in our Back garden they got to .....we have had such a hard time with these corn beds.....first the direct sown corn didnt germinate well....then rats pulled up the new seedling transplants.....then birds took off the silks (that happend last year as well but the corn did fine) now the coon's .....blah!....we even planted squash and pumpkins in these beds so the coon's would stay out....but...it didnt dawn on us that they would climb up onto the hoops avoiding the pumpkins and squash vines......our second planting of corn is just now starting to shoot up its tassels....so we are hoping to get some corn still....this is the bed where we had to replant because of the rats.....

they havent touched the corn in our SFG three sisters garden.....

we also are leaving our dogs out over night and keeping the garden gates open!.....I was up 4 times last night out into the back garden checking for pesky critters!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/19/2013, 6:23 pm

camprn wrote:
southern gardener wrote:

waste of time 
rose
I can tell you from experience you need to parboil the coon for quite some time to get rid of the gaminess........ Shocked 
thankyou rofl 
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/21/2013, 11:14 pm

Well....... the coon's continue to harvest our corn Sad here is what we found this morning.......What a Face 

PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 Dscf0323

we do have some good new's and pic's with our three sisters corn in our SFG that we will share in the three sisters thread......cheers ...coon's so far have kept out of those beds albino 

still harvesting a gallon size bag of beans every other day.....picked our first Acorn squash and lots more to come.....yippee!.....I love you 

fall sugar snap peas are here and yummy!.....fall cole crops are growing well under the hoops....spinach is starting to grow and we plan on sowing some more lettuce....

powder mildew is here What a Face .....YUCK!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/22/2013, 12:42 am

LOL that's just rude! Those raccoons are serious business!

On my end, my corn got to all of a foot or so high and threw out its male seed stalks without anything resembling a tassle underneath it. I planted very late, just because my mother loves sweet corn and dearly wanted me to try, so I did. But nature put me in my place.

Also, it looks like whatever has been attacking my medium-to-large tomatoes (cherries have gone untouched) is back, taking out nearly all of them by gouging huge chunks out of green and near-ripe ones alike. I'm starting to suspect it is not hornworms doing it, though the damage appears identical, but turkeys. Today is not the first time I've seen a turkey feather in the garden.

It's my neighbor's garden, and he's letting me use his beds gratis, so in plenty of ways I sure can't complain. But at this rate, I'd say I'm looking at two-thirds of my tomato harvest going to the birds (or whatever) and my getting a third of it. Not really worth it, though I've loved the tomatoes and we still got a lot of them, since I planted almost 20 plants. But next year, if he lets me use his beds again, I'll use them for something else besides tomatoes. His fencing is just too haphazard, with plenty of gaps near the ground in multiple places.

Next year I'll try to find some tomato space in another neighbor's better-protected garden. Early this month he invited me to leave the self-watering 5-gallon tomato bucket I was putting together, with his help, at his place. He had gotten very curious about the project and wanted to see it develop. Heck, I'd gladly give him half the tomatoes. That would be less than the critters are taking from me! He never gets critters. Too well-fenced. And I'll try to find more space in the almost non-existent sunny space I've got at my place for tomatoes.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/22/2013, 1:51 am

FG, Amazing pic of your corn. Dexterous hands and sharp teeth.were needed! Hmmm, sure looks like a raccoon to me.

Marc, I'm so sorry about your corn and tomatoes. Turkeys! That's a new one!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/22/2013, 2:45 am

Thanks sanderson! The corn is kinda funny -- I planted too late so didn't expect much, but got even less! The tomato thing, though, has been frustrating as heck.

But you know what? I still learned plenty this year. That's worth more than any particular year's harvest. Next year is very likely to be better because of what I learned about so many things this year.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/22/2013, 11:45 am

Marc Iverson wrote:  
But you know what?  I still learned plenty this year.  That's worth more than any particular year's harvest.  Next year is very likely to be better because of what I learned about so many things this year.
Totally with you. PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 3170584802 This year was the Great Experiment.  You know what they say,"You learn from your mistakes...".

I just planted 3 sq of corn last week.  Maybe or maybe not a success this year?  But now I know I want to try Silver Queen next year.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/22/2013, 4:30 pm

I'm already planning next year's adventures too. I looked at seedsavers.org last night and once again, regardless of how much garden space I really have, I want one of everything.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/23/2013, 7:25 am

Marc Iverson wrote:I'm already planning next year's adventures too.  I looked at seedsavers.org last night and once again, regardless of how much garden space I really have, I want one of everything.
rofl rofl rofl

I would say you are officially 'hooked'!  My list for next year is already waaaaaaaay too long and I am plotting how many new boxes I can sneak past Hubby............

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/24/2013, 12:53 am

I'm plotting to see how many beds/buckets/planters/pots I can grow too. Luckily I have neighbors who are very generous with their space and have given me the go-ahead to drop by and tend the plants I keep with them anytime I feel like it. So maybe next year I can step it up a bit! I already had a lot of space this year(almost all of it borrowed), but a lot of under-performers/critter victims/wilt victims too. So I'm going to go into next year thinking again that if I don't plant more than I need, I probably won't get anywhere near what I need.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

PNW: August 2013 - Page 2 Empty Another update from Alaska

Post  tananarose 8/27/2013, 9:02 pm

Well this past Saturday we got our first frost, and have had a frost every night since.  We have almost gotten all of our garden harvested, I am going to finish up the brussells sprouts 
and carrots tomorrow.  We got a total of 5 cantaloupes from our 2 plants, grown outside this summer, (we were told we wouldn't get any at all).  Our tomatoes gave us about 4 dozen tomatoes, the peas didn't do well this year, I think it got too hot for them.  Broccoli and cauliflower did well. We have lettuce coming out of ears and I only planted 2 square feet of that.  My strawberries are still producing.   

We are getting ready to mulch my strawberries and tiger lilies, any ideas on what we can use besides hay, we have to buy hay by the bale and we end up only using a very small portion of that for the 2 boxes.  

Johanna
tananarose
tananarose

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/28/2013, 7:53 am

Johanna:

Congrats on your cantaloupe!  It is always a joy to successfully grow something people say can't be done! And tomatoes?!  WOW!!!  We are currently in a heatwave, but Fall is definitely in the air here in SD as well.  We are only a few weeks away from our first frost. 

For the mulch, can you use a bit of a straw bale for the mulch and use the rest of it in a compost pile?  Or you could cover the rest of the bale and it may just survive the winter well for use next year? 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2