Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello From Las Vegas! Toplef10Hello From Las Vegas! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello From Las Vegas! I22gcj10Hello From Las Vegas! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello From Las Vegas! Toplef10Hello From Las Vegas! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello From Las Vegas! I22gcj10Hello From Las Vegas! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello From Las Vegas!

3 posters

Go down

Hello From Las Vegas! Empty Hello From Las Vegas!

Post  lvdigger 7/16/2013, 1:49 am

Been trying to grow conventional gardens in Las Vegas and vicinity for the past ten years with mixed and very unpredictable results.  Mostly planting in native soil (I know, I know...but bringing in tons of good soil ain't cheap!).  So now that Mother Nature has had her way with me and beat me into submission, I figure I'll try a different approach and was hoping to get some insight from other desert gardeners.  I don't spend a lot of time online so if I don't respond for a while, I'm not dead, just doing other things. Thanks in advance, Mark.

P.S. I've never posted in a forum like this so if I screw up the first few times go easy on me!
lvdigger
lvdigger

Back to top Go down

Hello From Las Vegas! Empty Re: Hello From Las Vegas!

Post  sanderson 7/16/2013, 2:43 am

Welcome, Mark.  There are a few desert SFG gardeners on this Forum.  Two for sure live in Las Vegas.  Go up to the Search box and type in "Newbie in Las Vegas" by Brainchasm.  He has an outstanding new SFG backyard garden in the heat of the desert.  Look at the photos of his progress.

I am a Newbie in Fresno, CA.  We have had a heat wave with a max of 112 degrees, so our summer problems are similar.

Have you purchased the second edition of "All New Square Foot Gardening?"  A must for success.  It took me a couple days to read it.  Well, I have the first edition of ANSFG but it has all the basics.  Bought a like-new book off eBay.  

Follow the book, don't cheat!, and you will have a garden like you have never had before.  I have family in LV and the soil, well, it's unique, to say the least.

Ask all the questions you want.  That's what the Forum is for.  And take photos.  We all love photos and it really helps, when you have a question, for the members to see what you are talking about.

Again, welcome.  glad you\'re here
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  lvdigger 7/16/2013, 11:38 am

Sanderson...thanks for the welcome!  I checked out Brainchasms posts; very impressive.  I'm just getting started in SFG so, no I haven't gotten the book or anything yet.  I figure I'm too late to  get anything going this year (tried but failed miserably) so, instead, I will just start to gather materials and info to try to get it right for next spring.  Currently, I'm laid off from my job so I have limited funding but lots of time to work on laying everything out.  There's an awful lot about desert gardening that I've learned (mostly what 'not to do') but I have a feeling that using this method things will get a lot easier and much less frustrating.  I'll post pix and updates as this little venture progresses.
Talk to you soon,
Mark
lvdigger
lvdigger

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/16/2013, 12:22 pm

You are not too late to grow something this year.  One source I read stated the following for July seed planting:

Beans, cantaloupe, corn, cucumber, melons, pumpkin, summer squash, winter squash, basil, cilantro and dill.

Some things can be grown in the winter with clear plastic covers tented over the box.  I'm going to put a string of Christmas lights in one of mine)

One of the mantras in the book is "free is best."  I got scrap 2 x 4's from a new construction site.  Got permission first!!  Free produce to compost from Farmer's Market.  Free coffee grounds from Starbuck's.  Some cities have free or cheap shredded tree and brush material.  Grass clippings from gardening businesses.  Seedling cups made out of used plastic drink cups (washed first!!).  Just cut them down to 4 inches and poke holes in the bottoms for drainage.

The ANSFG book is a must.  Try to get a copy.  Post on Craig's List???  Used Book wanted - All New Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew. Check out the library.

Best of luck!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/16/2013, 12:39 pm

I'm afraid that cilantro isn't a hot-weather crop. You might want to plant some during the late fall, however, once temps cool down. As I understand things, fall and winter may be your best times to garden.

In Las Vegas, you'll only need to cover your crops if insects or other pests threaten, or if there's a chance of frost or snow.

There are instructions for a simple hoop house in ANSFG.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  lvdigger 7/18/2013, 7:08 pm

Hi Donna,
thanks for the info.  I actually have some cilantro growing on my covered front porch and it's doing pretty well as long as I remember to water it and move it out of the mid-day sun.  Don't know what it is but about 110 seems to be the cut off temp here.  Below that, everything seems to do ok but when it goes over that, if plants are in direct sunlight, better move the plants or cover them else they just fry.  On top of that we have that awesome caliche to deal with...if that's not enough to convince you to switch to SFG, probably nothing will!  Anyway, this go around I'm gonna take my time, gather everything I need first, including the book, follow the lead of all the other members here and do it right with a fresh start.  Got a feeling I'll go through much less grief that way. 
Talk to you soon,
Mark
lvdigger
lvdigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down