Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Toplef10S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. I22gcj10S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Toplef10S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. I22gcj10S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

S.O.S. -- I made an error in determining sun exposure.

+5
WriterCPA
RoOsTeR
brainchasm
ETNRedClay
Windmere
9 posters

Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty S.O.S. -- I made an error in determining sun exposure.

Post  Windmere 6/22/2013, 11:41 pm

Man, I could just smack myself!  I have a very limited amount of space where adequate sunlight occurs.  I am surrounded by forest.  I put my beds in an area that seemed to get at least six hours of sunlight.  I tried very hard to compensate for the sun's course adjusting as the season progresses.

Well...  Today I took a hard look at my 2 MM beds and noticed that one is by far doing better than another located in a different area.  The tomato plants are gorgeous and my peppers are taking off.  Even the basil is happier.  (I have to say, given my black thumb, I wasn't expecting such truly outstanding results!)

In the other bed, everything has a yellowish tinge to it. Plant growth is stunted compared to the other bed.  The only variable is the amount of sunlight.  Watering is the same.  Sigh.

silly me

If it were not for my Earthboxes (which are quite portable), I would probably just curl up in a ball tighter than a pillbug.  I will tell you that I could not afford to put MM in the Earthboxes, but I have endeavored to use the five compost blend where ever I could.  I'm certainly not expecting top performance from these Earthboxes, but I am at least going to try.  I am planning of moving some of the plants from the under-performing MM box to the Earthboxes in better sun.  Bell peppers, Anaheim chiles and eggplant is what I had in mind to move.

So... I have a bed getting about four to five hours of direct sunlight every day.  The MM in the bed is by the book.   What it the world will do well there?  I am experiencing a bit of a panic.  I may be over reacting.  In any case.... Please help!

SOS

Thanks all.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Re: S.O.S. -- I made an error in determining sun exposure.

Post  ETNRedClay 6/22/2013, 11:55 pm

"In the other bed, everything has a yellowish tinge to it"

I know you said it was the same mix in both boxes, but have you actually tested the mix?

I ask because my shadier boxes are still green, they just grow slower than my sunnier boxes.  And any time I see yellow leaves here, it has turned out to be nitrogen deficiency... which is easy enough to test with a quick diluted urine drink.  (Does everything green up?  If yes, it's nitrogen deficiency.) And even easier to fix longterm with a bit more GOOD blended compost mixed in.

Which I learned on this list, thank-you all.
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Re: S.O.S. -- I made an error in determining sun exposure.

Post  brainchasm 6/22/2013, 11:57 pm

In ANSFG, page 53, is the following:

If You Only Have Shade
If you have shady conditions and no other place to locate your garden, you can still have a thriving garden but you'll have a limited selection of crops to grow. So, obviously, you'd stay away from the tomatoes, peppers, and squash and plant the root and leaf crops like radishes, spinach, and lettuce. Of course, there are many flowers and herbs that love shade, so check with your local nursery if you are in this situation.

So there you go.  Root veggies, and leafy greens.  Radishes, turnips, salsify, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, oh my!  I won't even get into the leafy greens...

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/23/2013, 12:13 am

brainchasm wrote:In ANSFG, page 53, is the following:

If You Only Have Shade
If you have shady conditions and no other place to locate your garden, you can still have a thriving garden but you'll have a limited selection of crops to grow. So, obviously, you'd stay away from the tomatoes, peppers, and squash and plant the root and leaf crops like radishes, spinach, and lettuce. Of course, there are many flowers and herbs that love shade, so check with your local nursery if you are in this situation.

So there you go.  Root veggies, and leafy greens.  Radishes, turnips, salsify, parsnips, potatoes, carrots, oh my!  I won't even get into the leafy greens...
+1

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Good excuse to buy...

Post  Windmere 6/23/2013, 12:13 am

brainchasm wrote:In ANSFG, page 53, is the following:

If You Only Have Shade

Well, now I have perfect justification in buy the ANSFG!  I actually was thinking about radishes.  I just bought some Watermelon Radishes and some French Breakfast Radishes.  Also, I have a nice pack of Dark Knight Carrots I've been itching to try.

I see a silver lining.  Thanks brainchasm.  Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/23/2013, 12:18 am

Make lemonade S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. 3170584802

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Not sure that's the issue

Post  Windmere 6/23/2013, 12:18 am

ETNRedClay wrote:"In the other bed, everything has a yellowish tinge to it"

I know you said it was the same mix in both boxes, but have you actually tested the mix?

I ask because my shadier boxes are still green, they just grow slower than my sunnier boxes.  And any time I see yellow leaves here, it has turned out to be nitrogen deficiency... which is easy enough to test with a quick diluted urine drink.  (Does everything green up?  If yes, it's nitrogen deficiency.) And even easier to fix longterm with a bit more GOOD blended compost mixed in.

Which I learned on this list, thank-you all.
Hi ETNRedClay,

Thanks for your post.  I might go ahead and test mix in the second box just to be sure.  However, the blend for both boxes was made in one batch on a very large tarp.  The ingredients and ratios should be identical.

Also, a shout out to Rooster for weighing in with a +1.

I really appreciate how much everyone here helps out...  particularly when one of us is freaked out.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/23/2013, 12:23 am

There's another benefit. Now you have an excuse to build another bed next year sunny

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Yes!!

Post  Windmere 6/23/2013, 12:25 am

So true Rooster!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 6/23/2013, 12:41 am

Shade was an issue for me before a fortuitous storm took down my neighbor's tree east of my property; it truly is an ill wind that blows no one some good.

Here is a link to a table of shade tolerant veggies I have in pdf.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/shade-tolerant-vegetables-zm0z11zsto.aspx#axzz2X0eLbFEt

Original article: Best Vegetables to Grow in the Shade
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/shade-tolerant-vegetables-zm0z11zsto.aspx#axzz2X0eLbFEt

The table comes from this article, which also gives advice on boosting yield in shade by using reflective mulch, which comments on the table say can be obtained from places that focus on hydroponic growing and on eBay.

Hope this helps.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Thanks!

Post  Windmere 6/23/2013, 1:20 am

WriterCPA wrote:Shade was an issue for me before a fortuitous storm took down my neighbor's tree east of my property; it truly is an ill wind that blows no one some good.

Here is a link to a table of shade tolerant veggies I have in pdf.

Original article: Best Vegetables to Grow in the Shade

The table comes from this article, which also gives advice on boosting yield in shade by using reflective mulch, which comments on the table say can be obtained from places that focus on hydroponic growing and on eBay.

Hope this helps.
Thanks WriterCPA.  I have been perusing shade options and I'm feeling quite a bit better.  The link to the chart does indeed help.

Time for a rest though.  Brainchasm quoted ANSFG and I thought the reference was to the Answer book published in Dec 2012 (which is probably very good to have).
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/23/2013, 1:33 am

I've had very good luck with French Breakfast radishes this year, so here's hoping you do as well!

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/23/2013, 8:16 am

I think the 'testing' of the mm is a good thing to remember.
I have my garden under a pine tree. You won't regret it later this summer! I wish mine was other, thicker, with a more lush canopy. You may be able to grow some cool season veggies year round!
Also, you may get more sun/light than you think, once the sun moves into summer position.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/23/2013, 11:51 am

When I lived in Southern California, I had perhaps three to four hours of direct sunlight daily during the summer. Nevertheless, I managed to grow some cukes, beans, a bit of corn, and some tomatoes in my SFG. The roses did well, although they did grow to be very tall because of phototropism.

My garden was surrounded on three sides (West, East, and North) by two- to three-story structures. The South side was blocked by a 33' olive tree. So, what light there was streamed into the yard area from overhead and seemed to be quite concentrated.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty Thanks... your comment made me feel bette

Post  Windmere 6/23/2013, 12:34 pm

Hi Donna, 

Your post about limited sun makes me feel very encouraged.  I am in an identical situation (like when you were in California) with three directions obstructed.  Eastern sunlight comes in the best.  The path of the sun has changed a lot.  At the beginning of spring, the sun's path gave my beds 6 or more hours of direct sunlight.  I now can judge where to put new beds next year.  
S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. 43549
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/23/2013, 2:23 pm

I'm thinking of setting up reflectors made of cardboard covered with cheap aluminum foil (99 Cent Store) Shade is great for salad greens but I have shaded areas and and winter / spring areas of low sunshine.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

S.O.S.  --  I made an error in determining sun exposure. Empty By a total coincidence...

Post  Windmere 6/24/2013, 4:27 pm

Hi all,

I had to write and tell you about some rather happy news: 

It turns out that our new neighbors directly across the street had some tree surgeons on their property to remove trees and grind stumps.

I asked the boss if he could remove one of my trees for me (at a discount since they were already set up).  I quoted a price, I haggled and we came to a very good agreement.  The tree in question was the culprit of my shade problem.

So...  shade is no longer an issue for my veggies.  They are going to get PLENTY of sun.  I can't believe the serendipity of all this.

I must say though, the support of so many while I was freaking out over my problem was very kind and encouraging.  Thanks so much!

Wind

thanks
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 5:08 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm thinking of setting up reflectors made of cardboard covered with cheap aluminum foil (99 Cent Store)   Shade is great for salad greens but I have shaded areas and and winter / spring areas of low sunshine.

Aluminum foil is a very poor light reflector.

Your two best means of light reflection are flat white paint, or sheet mylar that can be purchased in rolls.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mylar+roll&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4242994989&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=130552468065625313&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_38rorpkm7i_b

I used mylar around my indoor lights this past winter when I was experimenting with growing lettuce all winter.  I was getting harvestable lettuce in under 4 weeks, which is less than half the time I need outdoors.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down