Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Toplef10Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow I22gcj10Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Toplef10Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow I22gcj10Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow

+5
KellyNJ
Dietryin
middlemamma
timwardell
Idahospud
9 posters

Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow

Post  Idahospud 4/23/2010, 11:44 pm

Hello,

I'm Scott and i'm a SFGaholic.

This is my second year at SFG and am looking forward to this season and many more. I love it! Even with the short growing season here in Coeur d' Alene I was still able to grow a great garden. Some friends and neighbors (who are also my friends) saw my garden last year and are now doing the SFG this year. It's so dang easy. Thanks Mel!

Here is a picture of last years garden. I have added a couple more squares this year. I'm hooked.

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow CIMG0772
Idahospud
Idahospud

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow

Post  timwardell 4/24/2010, 11:21 am

Howdy and welcome to the Forum. That is an abundant SFG if ever there was one! Thanks for posting the pic and good luck this year.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty HI FROM POST FALLS!

Post  middlemamma 4/26/2010, 1:06 pm

Your garden is breathtaking!
I am new to Idaho, new to gardening and this year is my first try. I live in Post Falls and was wondering if you could tell me where you found your vermiculite? I hope in a couple years my yard looks as good as yours!

Jennie from Post Falls
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty Re: Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow

Post  Idahospud 4/26/2010, 6:28 pm

Hi Tim and Jennie. Thank you for the compliment Jennie. Welcome to Idaho and welcome to gardening. Last year was my first stab at the SFG method and it is very easy gardening compaired to watching my neighbor deal with weeds and soil problems. She is doing 2 boxes this year with more to come.

I found vermiculite at two places. Cenex co-op supply on Government way which is where I bought a couple bags before I found it a little cheaper at D & B Farm and Home store off Kathleen ave. 666-0506. It was $29.99 for 3.5 cubic feet. Last time I called a few weeks back they were out of the coarse material so you may want to call for availability.

Good luck with your garden! Enjoy our short but sweet summers here.

Scott
Idahospud
Idahospud

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty Hi Scott

Post  Dietryin 4/26/2010, 8:04 pm

What a great picture. I am planting my first garden this year. I hope my turns out as lovely as yours Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Icon_biggrin
Dietryin

Female Posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyNJ 4/26/2010, 9:38 pm

Wow! Nice job. Welcome back. For such a short season you sure do make the most out of it. Here's to another successful season for you (and all!).
KellyNJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy in Idaho 4/27/2010, 12:51 am

That is awesome for a first year! I hope mine does as good. I am guessing from everything in this forum that it will. Thanks for the picture!
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty hi I'm new

Post  puffmama 5/1/2010, 11:16 am

Hi,

I'm a real newby to square foot gardening. This is my first year and I will admit I am fairly new to South Dakota as well. I had a traditional plot garden but due to my crazy schedual I ran out of time to maintain it.

So my new garden has a 4'x6' pond on the center, then a 4x4 box on each corner of the pond,next there is another 4x4 on a diamond to the lawn. This is all surrounded by rocks and then a 3' grass path on 3 sides and the lawn on the fourth, all that will eventually be bordered by multiple 2x4 boxes against a chain link fence.

My husband and daughter and son-in-law are helping me build boxes and collect rocks ect. it goes kind of slow because my husband and I both work full time and have a 9 and 7 yr old and I have my own side business. If any one has tips or help I am very grateful as I want to dry, can and freeze as well as eat. My husband is a diabetic and my 9 yr old has other food and nutrition issues. Doing the garden is my way to keeping us all in good health that is getting better. I hate most grocery store food. I like to taste my viatimns. So welcome to other newbees like me and help!
puffmama

Back to top Go down

Post  Idahospud 5/1/2010, 10:26 pm

Hi puffmama it sounds like you will have a beautiful garden. A pond is something I have been thinking about but only small scale. Post some pictures when you can.

I'm no expert on this SFG thing, just one year under my belt but all I did was follow what Mel had in the book. I found 5 different types of compost and mixed it with the vermiculite and peat moss. Once that hard work was done the fun and easy part began. Planting and watching this garden grow. You will be amazed at how easy it is. I did hand water everyday in the warmer part of the summer but otherwise I spent more time harvesting then anything else with the SFG.

One other pointer, don't plant zucchini in the box. I had never grown it before and thought it might grow up the trellis but it more or less just took over the box. It got huge! You can see the leaves of it on the picture, middle left. This year I have a smaller box for just one zuc.

I also found this forum to be a fantastic source of help and information. Good luck and happy SFG'ing!

Last edited by Idahospud on 5/1/2010, 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Idahospud
Idahospud

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty Brand new to Sqare Foot Gardening Concept

Post  Linda 5/2/2010, 10:50 am

Beatiful garden. My main interest is growing flowers with a few vegetables such as beets, tomatoes etc.

Very inspirational - keep posting photos.

Linda
Linda

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Idaho, It's where I grow Empty garden

Post  nadav_avisror 5/2/2010, 2:29 pm

Hello I Nadav
I also want to now move into the garden
My question is how to invest in the garden every week so she will be reduced
nadav_avisror

http://all-about-flowers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down