Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Who grows mini cucumbers? Toplef10Who grows mini cucumbers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Who grows mini cucumbers? I22gcj10Who grows mini cucumbers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Who grows mini cucumbers? Toplef10Who grows mini cucumbers? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Who grows mini cucumbers? I22gcj10Who grows mini cucumbers? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Who grows mini cucumbers?

+14
boffer
yolos
Marc Iverson
Lavender Debs
peapicker
dvelten
No_Such_Reality
plantoid
southern gardener
happycamper
Unmutual
camprn
RoOsTeR
gwennifer
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who grows mini cucumbers? Empty Who grows mini cucumbers?

Post  gwennifer 6/12/2013, 6:58 pm

I was recently at a grocery store that I don't normally shop at, and so the produce selection was different.  I bought these mini cucumbers from Windset Farms and I love them!  Does anybody grow them?  I want to know what seeds to order!  Here's a video that shows what the plants are like, but he never says the variety name:

gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Who grows mini cucumbers? Empty Re: Who grows mini cucumbers?

Post  RoOsTeR 6/12/2013, 7:03 pm

My wife has bought them a few times too! I'm afraid to ask the price Shocked but my kids love em! Oh, I've never grown them or seen seeds for Mini cucs.

Who grows mini cucumbers? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/12/2013, 7:06 pm

Did you watch the video?  They grow so fast!  So cool!  And then they train them six feet up the trellis and then they have them grow back down.  Also cool!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/12/2013, 7:09 pm

I couldn't watch it yet. Our internet is down right now here at the house, so I've got the whole family tethering off my phone... If you find some, let us know! They're a great size for the kiddos, and I've been known to throw them in my lunch box too.

Who grows mini cucumbers? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/12/2013, 7:15 pm

http://www.seedratings.com/category/vegetables/cucumber-seeds

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Who grows mini cucumbers? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 6/13/2013, 1:21 am

Harvesting a regular cucumber when small doesn't do the trick?
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 6/13/2013, 1:37 am

I grew Alibi's in 2011 for pickles and they worked well.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/13/2013, 2:21 am

gwennifer wrote:I was recently at a grocery store that I don't normally shop at, and so the produce selection was different.  I bought these mini cucumbers from Windset Farms and I love them!  Does anybody grow them?  I want to know what seeds to order!  Here's a video that shows what the plants are like, but he never says the variety name:

I wonder if it's this one?? says seedless and small, grows fast??  http://www.territorialseed.com/product/5553
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/13/2013, 3:50 am

I'm growing a round ball cucumber variety called crystal lemon / apple cucumbers.
 The biggest I ever managed to grow was 2 & 1/2 inches in diameter though normally they only got to 1 & 1/2 dia before we ate them

I don't have any to show you at the present as we are a good month behind normal growing seasons due to cold and rain

They are slightly prickly /hairy , are a stripy lemon colour , have a slight citric taste & scent as well, they don't repeat on me or give me indigestion  ........  unlike normal elongated cucs
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/14/2013, 12:32 pm

camprn, thanks for the link!  I found some varieties I want to try.

Unmutual, I don't know - that's why I started the thread!  I know the Marketmore cuc's I grew last year are certainly not the same when harvested small.  These are still narrow, yet 5" long.  The skin is smooth and thin - don't have to peel it to eat it.  They have a nice crisp bite to them, but aren't crunchy like they're too raw or anything.  Me likey.

happycamper, The pic of the Alibi cucumbers looks like a nice classic pickle to me!  I'm surprised the description says they are only 3" long.  Definitely not smooth like what I'm looking for.

southern gardener, Nope, they aren't Rocky's.  Territorial describes those as one bite cucumbers that are only 2-3" long!  They do look the same though, if you didn't know the dimensions.  I did check all the seed catalogs before posting. 

Plantoid, I never knew cucumbers caused people to burp before reading about them these last couple of days!  So, uh, is that why some varieties are described as burpless?  

Well everyone, on the Windset Farms website, they have TM symbols after the names of all the vegetables they grow.  These are called FrescoTM Mini Cucumbers.  I suppose it's safe to say then, that these are a hybrid that the farm has created and trademarked so the seeds are not for sale.  

They describe them as "the English cucumber's understudy".  Has anyone grown English cucumbers and can tell me if they can be harvested really young?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/14/2013, 1:40 pm

There's also multiple type of english cukes.  I'm growing a long anglais one this year along with improved telegraph.  The improved telegraphs are the classic hothouse cucumbers you see in the store.  I've harvested them small, but small is about 8 inches long and a inch in diameter.  Improved Telegraph link.  

What you're describing I typically see as baby persian cucumbers.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 6/14/2013, 2:14 pm

Yes, I think these are Persian cucumbers but they are very popular in England as well. I was in a Middle Eastern market this week to get some Persian ingredients and they had baskets of tiny cucumbers. However, I'm not sure about Green Fingers. I bought and planted Green Fingers from High Mowing Seeds this year and it is labelled a beit alpha type (i.e., a Middle Eastern type cuke) but they say it grows 8-10 inches long. Another variety they have, Picolino, might be more what you are looking for.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  peapicker 7/17/2013, 7:18 am

The variety I grow is Iznik, available from Jungs and probably from other sources as well. I grow them and love them!
peapicker
peapicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/17/2013, 8:55 am

Who grows mini cucumbers? 2nd_we14
Rocky

I saw that you already said you are not interested in Rocky, but it is what I grow. It is hard for me to pick them this small, but it is ready and sweet to eat at this size. They are still yum-o-lishis at twice this size. Pricy! 10 seeds for $7 + shipping. I must have got them while Ray was still working. SO good. But I will be looking for something more affordable when I am out of these.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/18/2013, 12:44 am

Lavender Debs wrote:...They are still yum-o-lish-is at twice this size.
Debs thanks for posting this!  See, I'm new to cucumber growing.  It didn't occur to me if the catalog said they grow 2-3" that you could just let them continue to grow bigger. silly me Good to know - but oh my, you are right about them being spendy!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/18/2013, 1:35 am

I guess they are a hybrid that can't be reproduced from seed?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/18/2013, 2:29 am

Marc Iverson wrote:I guess they are a hybrid that can't be reproduced from seed?
It does say they are a hybrid, but I'm not sure that can be solely responsible for the price? I mean, I know for sure plenty of tomatoes are hybrids and I can find whole seed packets for a buck with those. idk 
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/18/2013, 8:28 am

gwennifer wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:I guess they are a hybrid that can't be reproduced from seed?
It does say they are a hybrid, but I'm not sure that can be solely responsible for the price?  I mean, I know for sure plenty of tomatoes are hybrids and I can find whole seed packets for a buck with those.  idk   
Yes and yes

Yes Marc they are hybrid. TSC makes sells a few other hybrids, some seem reasonably priced (like my dull but prolific and pretty Grandma's pic tomatoes... priced just like other packets of TSC tomato packets but they only have about 10 or so seeds in a packet.  The pretty and yummy Purple peacock broccoli (not even a hybrid but a cross between broccoli and kale) was expensive like these cukes but had lotsa seed in the pack.

Yes gwennifer, these are also seedless and I don't know how you breed for that trait, but apparently it is expensive.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/31/2014, 9:17 pm

I just bought some Baby Cucumber Persian (hybrid).  I did not notice that there were only 8 seeds in the pack for $3.49 (Botanical Interests).  Grow 4" to 6" long...yummy, non-bitter flavor and are seedless, with firm but thin skin that is completely edible...parthenocarpic...do not require a pollinator or pollination to set fruit...Persian cucumbers are also called Beit Alpha cucumbers, only produce female flowers so every flower is capable of producing a cucumber...no bees or other pollinating insets are needed.

My cucumbers get infested with pickle worm each year and this parthenocarpic cucumber can be covered with tulle or row cover to keep out the pickle worms.  So I may get cucumbers all summer for a change.  Vines are 3 to five feet so I may be able to cover them successfully.

The packet also talks about bitter tasting cucumbers.  Cucumbers produce a chemical called cucurbitacin which produces a slight bitter flavor, and causes minor indigestion in some people.  Varieties without this chemical are called burpless.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/31/2014, 9:34 pm

Yolos, please let us know how they do. I tried Cool Breeze parthenocarpic cucumbers in my greenhouse house last year, and I was disappointed in their production.

I'd like to find another parthenocarpic cuke to grow in my greenhouse.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/31/2014, 10:50 pm

I see this is an older thread but it's something I've been trying to figure out too.  Was anyone ever successful with finding a good, small, seedless cuke?  I've come up with a variety of options (a few were mentioned earlier on the thread).  I actually just posted this is the "Winter Pepper" thread in response to someone's (sorry can't remember who) query about mini-cukes but thought it might fit better here when I saw this thread...

"I think the closest are likely Picolino, which are an F1 hybrid that is best picked at 4-5".  Other options include: Baby Persian F1 (aka Green Fingers - once source says 3-5", another says 8-10"), Rocky F1 (3.5"), Katrina (5.5-6.5"), Amiga F1 (6"), Manny F1, Socrates F1 (7"), and Tyria F1 (14").  Basically, English Cucumbers (aka burpless, European, hothouse, seedless, gourmet, greenhouse, japanese, mediterranean, and persian).

I haven't ordered any seeds yet as I don't have the funds this year but I'm still looking to see if I can turn any up in a trade or locally.  Let me know if you find out any other options or actually give it a go!"
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  kamigh 3/31/2014, 11:33 pm

I have two Picolino cukes under my grow lights right now. I'm trying to wait another week or so to put them out so they hopefully won't get battered by the wind. I bought the seeds from Pinetree Gardens Seeds and they even admit that the seeds are pricey and a bit of a splurge. It was $2.95 for 5 seeds but if they grow the way they are described then they will pay for themselves quickly. Those little cukes are EXPENSIVE in the stores! Hopefully if this thread doesn't get buried I'll remember to check back with their progress.
kamigh
kamigh

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 4/1/2014, 5:01 pm

I agree, probably a Persian Cucumber. I planted a bunch of Armenian cucumber seeds based on the assumption they are the same - crunchy skin and great for snacking or Greek salad.  Now that I saw the video, I'm all excited!!!!
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 4/1/2014, 5:06 pm

LOL!!! I just Googled Armenian cuke and I was soooo wrong!! Just the opposite, in that they grow 24" long. Oh well...looks like I'll have to find some Person cuke seeds to plan and find a use for the Armenian cukes, if I'm successful growing them. Maybe I'll cut them in slices, add rice vinegar and sugar, like in the Japanese restaurant. That's what they do with English Hothouse cukes.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/1/2014, 5:14 pm

bonnie0128 wrote:I see this is an older thread but it's something I've been trying to figure out too.  Was anyone ever successful with finding a good, small, seedless cuke? 
Yes, I found Persian cuc seeds at Renee's online.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next