Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Failed strawberry bed turning into... Toplef10Failed strawberry bed turning into... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Failed strawberry bed turning into... I22gcj10Failed strawberry bed turning into... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Failed strawberry bed turning into... Toplef10Failed strawberry bed turning into... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Failed strawberry bed turning into... I22gcj10Failed strawberry bed turning into... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Failed strawberry bed turning into...

4 posters

Go down

Failed strawberry bed turning into... Empty Failed strawberry bed turning into...

Post  bwaynef 6/11/2013, 10:00 am

I have a 4x4 I devoted to strawberries. That didn't really take off, so I'm thinking about using that space for something else this year. Am I too late?

I'd like to put in some okra, more squash, zucchini, and maybe some more peppers/tomatoes. I'm sure it'll fill up fast, but do you think I have time to get a harvest from any of those?

Also, what would YOU do with an extra 4x4 at this time of year?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Failed strawberry bed turning into... Empty Re: Failed strawberry bed turning into...

Post  littlejo 6/11/2013, 10:50 am

Okra, squash and zucchini will grow fast and give you some pickings, but the peppers and toms might do ok if you buy/have transplants. Your strawberries might survive, they will do fine if you plant the other stuff in with them.

If you need me to send you some strawberry plants, pm me your address. I have a lot to give away.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Failed strawberry bed turning into... Empty Re: Failed strawberry bed turning into...

Post  bnoles 6/11/2013, 10:53 am

Sorry to hear about your strawberries. Before you decide on another crop, you need to find the cause of the failure or it will most likely follow your next crop as well. I suspect your planting medium is your cause and it needs to be corrected before proceeding. I'm sure you could get good advice if you can provide more details on what makes up your medium and possibly get it tested.

As far as what to plant this time of year, I personally would opt for bush green beans and then collard/turnip greens for fall. Just my choice based on my likes.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 6/11/2013, 11:27 am

bnoles wrote:Sorry to hear about your strawberries. Before you decide on another crop, you need to find the cause of the failure or it will most likely follow your next crop as well. I suspect your planting medium is your cause and it needs to be corrected before proceeding. I'm sure you could get good advice if you can provide more details on what makes up your medium and possibly get it tested.

As far as what to plant this time of year, I personally would opt for bush green beans and then collard/turnip greens for fall. Just my choice based on my likes.

The strawberries failed due to a variety of reasons not relating to the media they're growing in. The starts I bought didn't ever really grow, they were allowed to dry out, my dog dug some up... Those sorts of things. I've still got 5 or 6 plants in there, but they won't fruit this year and it seems like a waste of a bed.

I have some green beans planted, but I may succession plant a few into the new bed. I haven't ever grown greens, but I *AM* looking forward to having a fall garden this year so I might give that a shot.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 6/11/2013, 11:29 am

littlejo wrote:Okra, squash and zucchini will grow fast and give you some pickings, but the peppers and toms might do ok if you buy/have transplants.
I have tomatoes to transplant, cherry types that I couldn't give away. The more I think about it though, the less interested in more tomatoes I am.

Your strawberries might survive, they will do fine if you plant the other stuff in with them.
That's the plan.

If you need me to send you some strawberry plants, pm me your address. I have a lot to give away. Jo
That's tempting. Think I could plant the new strawberry plants ...***AND*** plant the 4x4 w/ veggies while the transplanted strawberry plants send out roots?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/11/2013, 12:29 pm

Or, you could put the strawberries in the isle with a little dirt on them, and plant in the early fall, maybe Sept. They will grow roots in the fall, winter over well, and think they are 2nd yr plants, so will bear good come spring.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 6/11/2013, 2:11 pm

littlejo wrote:Or, you could put the strawberries in the isle with a little dirt on them, and plant in the early fall, maybe Sept. They will grow roots in the fall, winter over well, and think they are 2nd yr plants, so will bear good come spring.
Jo

What do you mean, "in the isle"?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/11/2013, 4:34 pm

I'm sorry, I have lots of beds. That is the space, where you walk, between the beds. Some folks put their beds all over the yard and have no 'isle'. You could put them in a pot or a pot/bag with holes in the sides. I have a bag with holes that you can have also. It hangs up, maybe on a porch? I have way too many berries for that anymore.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 6/12/2013, 10:00 am

Here's my (revised) list of things I wouldn't mind having, or having more of.  I understand I can't fit all of those in 16 sqft, and I'm thinking the pumpkins are just a bit of whimsy currently, so they're at the bottom of the list.  I don't know how much okra my kids would eat.

Green beans
squash/zukes
Red bell peppers 
carrots
radishes
watermelon
eggplant
cucumbers
okra
watermelon
pumpkins

Does anybody have any (add'l) input on whether its too late to get a harvest from any of these ...or maybe I'm forgetting something I ought to plant?  (Family of 4, 2 kids (4&6) that are pretty good eaters.)
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/13/2013, 12:38 am

Try some field peas also known as cowpeas, southern peas.  Blackeyed or pinkeyed peas are examples.  Pick when just filled out and get some immature pods for snaps.  They can also be allowed to grow large and dry out for winter storage.   Now is a good time for planting them. 

If you can set up a trellis, butterbeans (baby limas) are good eating. I use them as one of my replacement veggies when the garden peas/sugar snaps peter out in the heat.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down