Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Toplef10Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit I22gcj10Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Toplef10Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit I22gcj10Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit

+7
brainchasm
RoOsTeR
cindre2000
camprn
mollyhespra
ETNRedClay
Deepforks
11 posters

Go down

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Empty Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit

Post  Deepforks 6/7/2013, 12:04 am

so being my first year growing, I decided to grow a handful of veggies in large pots. i got in a hurry when creating my mel's mix. i ended up using just one type of compost instead of a blend. my two tomatoes seem fairly healthy other than the up-curled leaves (mainly on the upper new growth). the orange bell pepper seems to be doing okay. both cucumbers are turning a bit yellow. i honestly think i was over watering. when i dug down to about six inches tonight, i was surprised how moist, not wet, the soil was. anyway, i bought a soil test kit and tested it tonight. ph looked just about neutral, maybe a tad higher. phosphorus was between medium-high, potassium was between medium-low. nitrogen did not even register! could this be due to the single source of compost? what would you all suggest for an organic source of nitrogen? should i add anything else? appreciate any help. this "growing food" thing is all new to me Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit 3170584802
Deepforks
Deepforks

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Empty Re: Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit

Post  ETNRedClay 6/7/2013, 12:18 am

Don't remember who suggested it, but when my peppers were pale from nitrogen defeciency, I was encouraged to supply them with a 50/50 drink of human urine/water... I said, NO WAY. That's yuck.

I secretly peed in a bucket and added water and gave them a drink.

A week later, they were doing great. Mind you, they are in a 3'x8' and none of the other plants have yellow leaves. Had the same problem with a 4'x4', just the petunia had bright yellow leaves. Gave her a drink of "nitrogen" and she's doing great with dark leaves coming on.

I'm suspecting I didn't mix my Mix as well as I could have. One out of an entire bed, mmm.
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Empty Re: Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit

Post  mollyhespra 6/7/2013, 8:58 am

Also, from what I've been reading (my N was VERY low when I tested a few weeks ago), N is also very sensitive to getting washed out of the soil. I don't know the technical term for it, but that which makes it readily available to the roots also makes it more likely to leach out, if I understand it correctly. I went to a local organic nursery and got some 10-0-0 for a one-time boost/quick fix.

On the other hand, if your top (new) leaves are yellowing whereas the bottom ones are still green, it may be a different deficiency, like Calcium.

Do a search on "plant nutrient deficiency" and read up on it. It's very interesting. There's also a thread on this site somewhere where a link was posted to an article with pictures of what happens when different nutrients are deprived.

And as to your other question, it's likely that using only one source of compost is the culprit. Just keep working on finding additional sources of compost (start your own pile for one) and keep testing your soil and you should be OK.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/7/2013, 9:07 am

The OP mentions cutting corners because of being in a hurry and only using one type of compost. Cutting corners will often lead to trouble, and now there is plenty of it for this garden, because it is the compost that feeds the plants.

Well rounded (homemade) compost or a compost blend with at least 5 different types of compost added to the mix is really the best remedy. Quick fixes are fine for band-aid solution, but come harvest time, I encourage you to add as much good compost into the mix as will fit in the bed. In the meantime, if you have any room at the top of the mix, you can topdress with compost.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cindre2000 6/8/2013, 8:59 am

Diluted urine is a quick way to supply your plants with nitrogen.

Other 'natural' amendments include:

Blood Meal
Chicken/Poultry Manure [Composted]
Rabbit Manure [Uncomposted]
Bat Guano
Fish Emulsion
Alfalfa Meal
Fertilizer Mix (Like Epsoma Garden-tone)

---

What single compost did you use?

I would recommend top dressing with Black Hen, or another composted poultry manure and then watering with Fish Emulsion.
cindre2000
cindre2000

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/8/2013, 9:12 am

camprn wrote:The OP mentions cutting corners because of being in a hurry and only using one type of compost. Cutting corners will often lead to trouble, and now there is plenty of it for this garden, because it is the compost that feeds the plants.

Well rounded (homemade) compost or a compost blend with at least 5 different types of compost added to the mix is really the best remedy. Quick fixes are fine for band-aid solution, but come harvest time, I encourage you to add as much good compost into the mix as will fit in the bed. In the meantime, if you have any room at the top of the mix, you can topdress with compost.

+1

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/8/2013, 11:52 am

Could you take a picture of the compost you're currently using? I am wondering if it still has a significant wood content. Reason being, as wood in compost breaks down, it uses up the available nitrogen. I learned this lesson here, because even though I got good mix of five or more composts, they were the cheaper stuff, and I ended up with a high wood content.

Thankfully, 1:10 urine/water fixed just about all of it. Shocked

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/8/2013, 12:02 pm

brainchasm wrote:...Thankfully, 1:10 urine/water fixed just about all of it. Shocked

Have you ever got frustrated with a task you're doing, thrown down a tool, said 'piss on it', and walked away? It appears that there's some wisdom to that saying! Laughing

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/8/2013, 12:14 pm

boffer wrote:
brainchasm wrote:...Thankfully, 1:10 urine/water fixed just about all of it. Shocked

Have you ever got frustrated with a task you're doing, thrown down a tool, said 'piss on it', and walked away? It appears that there's some wisdom to that saying! Laughing

My usual thing was to say 'to hell with this', but then I look around, notice that I'm standing in 108 degree heat, and it's not officially summer yet...and I realize I'm already there. Twisted Evil

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepforks 6/8/2013, 3:32 pm

i'll try to post some pics but I need to figure out how to do it. this forum is not like any other I've attached pics to.

I actually bought some fish emulsion and put it on last night. I've backed off the watering, although I may need to increase due to the sudden increase it temps. looks like its here to stay.

as for the compost I used. it was that kellogs omri stuff.
Deepforks
Deepforks

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/8/2013, 3:42 pm

Yeah. I used a bunch of Kelloggs stuff too. Lotta wood chips, and we won't even get into the plastic and metal I fished out. It's cheap stuff, and I'm not doing that again.

brainchasm
brainchasm

Back to top Go down

Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit Empty Mel's mix (kind of) & soil test kit

Post  Frenchbean 6/8/2013, 3:44 pm

Interesting read folks. If any of you get bitten by a jelly fish; human urine will stop it stinging! Very Happy
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/8/2013, 11:19 pm

It's my understanding cucumbers need lots of water once fruits start appearing.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/9/2013, 12:31 pm

Did anyone use Kellogg's Patio Plus? My experience with this ONE Kellogg's product has been good.

I've been experimenting with it in my flower beds, although I'm also taking Camprn's advice about adding several different composts and peat moss, plus bone and blood meal, etc., leaving out the vermiculite because of cost.

It's important to find and use at least a 5-way blend of composts, not all of which are manure.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down